Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Newbie

  • Kite Power (Sydney)
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 11, 2003
      Hi Bob
      I'm not as wise (read "old") as you mate, but I'm still 48 and love to kite when I can. The main thing to focus on is KITE CONTROL, and that is only aquired by flying them.
      Get a trainer kite before you take the lesson, you will get much better value for a lesson if you are already very familiar with the control of a 2 line foil type or framed stunt kite, foils about 1.5 to 2.0M kites are best, set up to fly on a bar.
      Ozone Imp, or Little Devil 1.5M, Flexifoil 1.5 or 2.5 Bullets (awesome kites), are some of the best flying trainer kites.
      Do lots of body dragging before attempting to ride a board, make sure you know 100% how to re-launch your kite, before you try the board. Wear an impact vest and helmet at all times while learning, and preferably all the time anyway.
      Always use a sliding bar type leash on a 4 lined kite.
      Never go out alone, or without an observer on the beach.
      If you have any lower back pain or old injurys, always use a seat harness designed for kiteboarding.
      Get advice from people that actually kite, and preferably from people closer to your age, like me! :-)
      Have fun, but always have plan B worked out before you launch any large kite.
      http://www.kitepower.com.au

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
        Thank you Tom for the comments and encouragement, I agree the
        analytical side is kicking in a little stronger than the
        adventurous side; but I have to try it. I have lessons
        scheduled for the 18th. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

        Bob
      • chandler@gunderlandmarine.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
          Hi Rick!

          Thanks for the information; you have encouraged me to go for
          it! I'll keep in touch and let you know how it goes. I am in
          Corpus Christi, just west of you; sail (or kite) on over. No
          relation to Scott Beach.

          Bob Beach
        • chandler@gunderlandmarine.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
            Thank you Steve for your comments and especially the safety
            tips. I have been flying a training kite for some time now it
            is an Air Rush 2.0 and have acquired the basic skills. Great
            to hear from someone so far away; I am in Corpus Christi,
            Texas on the Gulf of Mexico, great sailing places- come see
            us.

            Bob Beach
          • David Alger
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
              Lots of us greys lurking here. I've been trying to get good at
              windsurfing for about 9 short New England summers, thought
              kitesurfing looked like more fun and easier. Taught myself last
              summer, very cautiously, with luck, no accidents. Got up on the
              board for a couple of seconds. This March I went to Cabarete in the
              Dominican Republic for four days to nail it, but surprisingly with
              instruction I did not progress much. That first ride is tough,
              unless you wakeboard. Powering the kite correctly while riding for
              the first time has been tricky.

              I've never hurt myself windsurfing, maybe luck. I have been pulled
              up the beach launching when I did not position myself correctly with
              a helper (I was used to self-launching). Also been slammed into the
              water by a powered up kite, snapping my neck pretty hard when my
              helmet hit the water. Kite power is awesome, probably because you
              can't just let go of the boom. It is more dangerous, but at our age
              we are going to be damn careful. Just bought an Ocean Rodeo bar with
              push away quick release... Great to hear from all you guys.
            • Remtgnow@AOL.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
                bob, welcome to kitesurfing!
                I'm 56 yrs old adn still not grown up so my young kiting friends tell me.
                I've been flying traction kites for about 5 years.
                started w/open cell foils and a buggy/then skiis for the winter and now
                inflatables for about 3 seasons now.
                Here's my 2 cents.
                go for it.
                The newer equip is so much better and now there is certified instruction. I
                had to learn the hard way.
                learn safety first!!!
                Less stress on the knees than windsurfing.
                that background willl really only help with wind knowledge. It's really
                closer to wakeoarding or water skiing.
                The load on the legs is probably more.
                I'm not sure that it's harder on the body. it is more dangerous!!!! bad
                things can happen really fast but you can limit most of the potential problems
                thru safety.
                take a lesson.

                Phil Burke

              • chandler@gunderlandmarine.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
                  Thanks David and Phil,

                  More of us out there than I thought. It seems safety is the
                  big message I am getting from everyone. I am taking lessons
                  next week with a PASA certified school and I am certain the
                  relative safety issues will be addressed. I will let you know
                  how the lessons go.

                  Thanks again y'all.

                  Bob Beach
                • Tom Rolf
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
                    Speaking of safety, Rick has done the kite community a great service,
                    in compiling a collection of what can go wrong.
                    Better to learn from a vicarious accident, rather than the real thing.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
                      G'day Bob

                      I would love to come over however I am not a big fan of sitting on planes to far away countries when I have only explored probably less than 10% of Oz's kiteboarding spots.
                      I have heard your area is really good though but tends to get only lighter winds is that correct? If it is then they are good conditions for those with slightly worn out bodies! :-)
                      Sounds like you are on the right track to get into and enjoy kiteboarding safely.
                      Have fun.
                      http://www.kitepower.com.au

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 21, 2003
                        I just returned from Kauai and saw this sport in its purest form for
                        the first time.
                        Mind you I have seen people here in the Bay Area (S.F.) participating
                        too. It
                        looks fantastic. I want to learn this and become good at it. Here is
                        my situation
                        and what I would like is advice on how to begin this persuit:

                        First of all I am 54 years old. 6'1" and 220 lbs. I am not a physical
                        fitness nut
                        but I am also not a couch potatoe. I fly kites (on the land). I have
                        about 6-8
                        kites that include 2 and 4 line stunt kites, parafoils and even a
                        Revolution (my
                        favorite). So I know the kite flying skills well. I have not tried
                        any 'traction' kites
                        but my parafoils are almost identical. When I was young I was an
                        excellent
                        waterskier. I have never been very good at surfing but given the
                        right
                        conditions I can have fun.

                        So I live in the SF Bay Area where there is lots of sailboarding and
                        as I
                        mentioned I see kiteboarders too. What recommendations can you all
                        give me
                        on getting started in this sport? Is there a school here or ? I
                        taught myself river
                        kayaking from books and visualization ( blew my instructors mind that
                        I was
                        able to complete my roll the first time). I also would like to
                        purchase some
                        equipment. I don't stay in the learning to take baby steps role for
                        very long but
                        I also don't need the latest Ferrari either. So I would like to find
                        a set of
                        equipment that will allow me to learn but to also serve a fast
                        learning curve in
                        skill development. Used or new? Is the equipment aging or ? I
                        remember
                        seeing sailboarding take off. The first boards were like tanks
                        compared to
                        todays boards. If I buy used equipment how far back in time can you
                        go
                        without being caught driving the latest Edsel?

                        So to review:

                        1. Learning process.
                        2. Equipment
                        3. Am I kidding myself at my age?

                        Thanks
                      • Kite Power (Sydney)
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 22, 2003
                          G'day
                          No you are not kidding yourself! You can do it for sure especially since you have a lot of skills with a kite, especially Revs!
                          But, this sport can kill you, unlike the kite flying you are used to, it is not for everyone, the forces involved are massive, and every honest kiter will admit that the kites power demands respect/fear!
                          GET LESSONS, you are taking a huge risk to yourself and anyone downwind of you if you even attempt to fly a suitable sized kite without tuition. Try to get a lesson from an IKO trained instructor.
                          Go to a kite shop if possible, one that was around before kiteboarding began, that has staff that kitesurf, if not go to a windsurf/kiteshop, and seek out the staff that actually kite.
                          If they are casual about kite leashes, and safety shop elsewhere.
                          Kites from the major brands, made since 2001, are all pretty good, and there are a lot of closeout deals around.
                          Avoid buying used except from reputable shops, avoid kites that have untidy looking repairs in the bladders.
                          The sport is 80%+ kite flying skill, so it does not matter one bit that you have never surfed. Wear a helmet and flotation/impact vest at all times while learning.
                          http://www.kitepower.com.au