Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Newbie

  • Kite Power (Sydney)
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 11, 2003
      Hi Bob
      I'm not as wise (read "old") as you mate, but I'm still 48 and love to kite when I can. The main thing to focus on is KITE CONTROL, and that is only aquired by flying them.
      Get a trainer kite before you take the lesson, you will get much better value for a lesson if you are already very familiar with the control of a 2 line foil type or framed stunt kite, foils about 1.5 to 2.0M kites are best, set up to fly on a bar.
      Ozone Imp, or Little Devil 1.5M, Flexifoil 1.5 or 2.5 Bullets (awesome kites), are some of the best flying trainer kites.
      Do lots of body dragging before attempting to ride a board, make sure you know 100% how to re-launch your kite, before you try the board. Wear an impact vest and helmet at all times while learning, and preferably all the time anyway.
      Always use a sliding bar type leash on a 4 lined kite.
      Never go out alone, or without an observer on the beach.
      If you have any lower back pain or old injurys, always use a seat harness designed for kiteboarding.
      Get advice from people that actually kite, and preferably from people closer to your age, like me! :-)
      Have fun, but always have plan B worked out before you launch any large kite.
      http://www.kitepower.com.au

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 11, 2003
        I'm 65 - also windsurfed since '79. I love it - can't get enough - have 5 kites and 5 boards. Often kite 2 or 3 sessions a day. The adrenaline is tenfold more than windsurfing. Since it is lifting you, it is less strenuous. I've a ton of windsurfing equipment but rarely use - like when the wind is over 25mph. I live on the Gulf of Mexico and kiting in the waves is easier, more fun and much cheaper ( no broken equipment). And it takes less wind to plane.
        Advise - find a good instructor and take lessons. This sport can dangerous - especially at first. Things happen fast and if you have to think about what to do, it is probably too late. Take it slow - start with low winds and nibble at higher winds. I use wake style boards. Get at least 2 kites - a 12 sq. m. and a 18 - 20. Inflatable - Naish/Wipica type and low aspect at first is more forgiving. The state of the art video I think is "How to Rip".

        I race Hobie 20s in Panama City, Florida with a Scott Beach. Any relation? Where are you?

      • chandler@gunderlandmarine.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
          Thank you Tom for the comments and encouragement, I agree the
          analytical side is kicking in a little stronger than the
          adventurous side; but I have to try it. I have lessons
          scheduled for the 18th. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

          Bob
        • chandler@gunderlandmarine.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
            Hi Rick!

            Thanks for the information; you have encouraged me to go for
            it! I'll keep in touch and let you know how it goes. I am in
            Corpus Christi, just west of you; sail (or kite) on over. No
            relation to Scott Beach.

            Bob Beach
          • chandler@gunderlandmarine.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
              Thank you Steve for your comments and especially the safety
              tips. I have been flying a training kite for some time now it
              is an Air Rush 2.0 and have acquired the basic skills. Great
              to hear from someone so far away; I am in Corpus Christi,
              Texas on the Gulf of Mexico, great sailing places- come see
              us.

              Bob Beach
            • David Alger
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
                Lots of us greys lurking here. I've been trying to get good at
                windsurfing for about 9 short New England summers, thought
                kitesurfing looked like more fun and easier. Taught myself last
                summer, very cautiously, with luck, no accidents. Got up on the
                board for a couple of seconds. This March I went to Cabarete in the
                Dominican Republic for four days to nail it, but surprisingly with
                instruction I did not progress much. That first ride is tough,
                unless you wakeboard. Powering the kite correctly while riding for
                the first time has been tricky.

                I've never hurt myself windsurfing, maybe luck. I have been pulled
                up the beach launching when I did not position myself correctly with
                a helper (I was used to self-launching). Also been slammed into the
                water by a powered up kite, snapping my neck pretty hard when my
                helmet hit the water. Kite power is awesome, probably because you
                can't just let go of the boom. It is more dangerous, but at our age
                we are going to be damn careful. Just bought an Ocean Rodeo bar with
                push away quick release... Great to hear from all you guys.
              • Remtgnow@AOL.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
                  bob, welcome to kitesurfing!
                  I'm 56 yrs old adn still not grown up so my young kiting friends tell me.
                  I've been flying traction kites for about 5 years.
                  started w/open cell foils and a buggy/then skiis for the winter and now
                  inflatables for about 3 seasons now.
                  Here's my 2 cents.
                  go for it.
                  The newer equip is so much better and now there is certified instruction. I
                  had to learn the hard way.
                  learn safety first!!!
                  Less stress on the knees than windsurfing.
                  that background willl really only help with wind knowledge. It's really
                  closer to wakeoarding or water skiing.
                  The load on the legs is probably more.
                  I'm not sure that it's harder on the body. it is more dangerous!!!! bad
                  things can happen really fast but you can limit most of the potential problems
                  thru safety.
                  take a lesson.

                  Phil Burke

                • chandler@gunderlandmarine.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
                    Thanks David and Phil,

                    More of us out there than I thought. It seems safety is the
                    big message I am getting from everyone. I am taking lessons
                    next week with a PASA certified school and I am certain the
                    relative safety issues will be addressed. I will let you know
                    how the lessons go.

                    Thanks again y'all.

                    Bob Beach
                  • Tom Rolf
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
                      Speaking of safety, Rick has done the kite community a great service,
                      in compiling a collection of what can go wrong.
                      Better to learn from a vicarious accident, rather than the real thing.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
                        G'day Bob

                        I would love to come over however I am not a big fan of sitting on planes to far away countries when I have only explored probably less than 10% of Oz's kiteboarding spots.
                        I have heard your area is really good though but tends to get only lighter winds is that correct? If it is then they are good conditions for those with slightly worn out bodies! :-)
                        Sounds like you are on the right track to get into and enjoy kiteboarding safely.
                        Have fun.
                        http://www.kitepower.com.au

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 21, 2003
                          I just returned from Kauai and saw this sport in its purest form for
                          the first time.
                          Mind you I have seen people here in the Bay Area (S.F.) participating
                          too. It
                          looks fantastic. I want to learn this and become good at it. Here is
                          my situation
                          and what I would like is advice on how to begin this persuit:

                          First of all I am 54 years old. 6'1" and 220 lbs. I am not a physical
                          fitness nut
                          but I am also not a couch potatoe. I fly kites (on the land). I have
                          about 6-8
                          kites that include 2 and 4 line stunt kites, parafoils and even a
                          Revolution (my
                          favorite). So I know the kite flying skills well. I have not tried
                          any 'traction' kites
                          but my parafoils are almost identical. When I was young I was an
                          excellent
                          waterskier. I have never been very good at surfing but given the
                          right
                          conditions I can have fun.

                          So I live in the SF Bay Area where there is lots of sailboarding and
                          as I
                          mentioned I see kiteboarders too. What recommendations can you all
                          give me
                          on getting started in this sport? Is there a school here or ? I
                          taught myself river
                          kayaking from books and visualization ( blew my instructors mind that
                          I was
                          able to complete my roll the first time). I also would like to
                          purchase some
                          equipment. I don't stay in the learning to take baby steps role for
                          very long but
                          I also don't need the latest Ferrari either. So I would like to find
                          a set of
                          equipment that will allow me to learn but to also serve a fast
                          learning curve in
                          skill development. Used or new? Is the equipment aging or ? I
                          remember
                          seeing sailboarding take off. The first boards were like tanks
                          compared to
                          todays boards. If I buy used equipment how far back in time can you
                          go
                          without being caught driving the latest Edsel?

                          So to review:

                          1. Learning process.
                          2. Equipment
                          3. Am I kidding myself at my age?

                          Thanks
                        • Kite Power (Sydney)
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 22, 2003
                            G'day
                            No you are not kidding yourself! You can do it for sure especially since you have a lot of skills with a kite, especially Revs!
                            But, this sport can kill you, unlike the kite flying you are used to, it is not for everyone, the forces involved are massive, and every honest kiter will admit that the kites power demands respect/fear!
                            GET LESSONS, you are taking a huge risk to yourself and anyone downwind of you if you even attempt to fly a suitable sized kite without tuition. Try to get a lesson from an IKO trained instructor.
                            Go to a kite shop if possible, one that was around before kiteboarding began, that has staff that kitesurf, if not go to a windsurf/kiteshop, and seek out the staff that actually kite.
                            If they are casual about kite leashes, and safety shop elsewhere.
                            Kites from the major brands, made since 2001, are all pretty good, and there are a lot of closeout deals around.
                            Avoid buying used except from reputable shops, avoid kites that have untidy looking repairs in the bladders.
                            The sport is 80%+ kite flying skill, so it does not matter one bit that you have never surfed. Wear a helmet and flotation/impact vest at all times while learning.
                            http://www.kitepower.com.au