Re: [ksurfschool] Children kitesurfing

  • Kite Power (Sydney)
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
      My kids grew up with kiting. We never pushed them to do anything in particular, and neither of the boys showed a lot of interest in the power kiting side until they were around 12 years old?
      They would come for rides in my buggy, and generally hang out while we indulged our passion, but mostly they liiked to fly stunt kites or small foils, just able to pull them a bit.
      When I taught kitemaking in schools, kids under ten were generally scared of the power, they do not like getting pulled. Once they start to develop physically they seem to want to try anything parents do, or that their peers do.
      Now, one son has become very involved in power kiting, and the other maintains a steady interest in kites but his first passion is trials bicycles.
      They have both grown to be bigger/stronger than me, so now I am the one needing protection from them. I think it is time we established a parental abuse hotline here!! :-)

      Personally I think there is a fine line between building your child positive self image/self esteem, and pumping their ego and your own to be risk takers, which is possibly why a lot of people would be concerned about teaching kids under 10 to do extreme sports. Kids this age are generally more interested in impressing a parent or peer, than understanding the consequences of a mistake when doing an extrme sport, under pressure.

      Then there is the no rules rule!
      :-)

      http://www.kitepower.com.au

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
        Very good question. I am also sharing this very same dilemma of when to
        start gettig kids involved in kitesurfing, so let me share the thoughts
        about this for you others comments too.

        Personally I foresee three aspects in deciding about the right time:
        1) Physical abilities
        2) Mental abililties
        3) Equipment fit

        Physical abilities should be considered from muscle co-ordination and
        muscle strenght point of view. Both of them being fairly easy to assess,
        but when considering the strenght, the sheer power could be enough to
        fly the kite, but it is also the duration and strain that is put into
        joints and muscles that can affect the way how the child is developing
        in the future. The strenght needed in self rescue situations is much
        more difficult to assess and often more related to mental abilities that
        develop with the age.

        Mental abilities are much more difficult to assess. Generally it is easy
        to see when a child is able to fly a kite reflecting hand / eye
        co-ordination. This unfortunately has very little to do with the mental
        abilities which are more related to anticipating dangers and acting
        under extreme stress to save oneself and possibly minimising harm to
        bystanders. Generally I would consider that 12-14 is an age where the
        child starts to consider how to protect not only himself but also the
        bystanders. Below that age in between 10-12 it is possible to have a
        certain (over)learned self rescue ability, but not really much below
        that.

        Equipment fit is not only choosing the right kite or consideration of
        having right wetsuit to protect the skin, but also helmet, floatition
        vest, harness and board fit. Poorly fitting equipment can turn the child
        away from the sport very easily and become a safety risk. In no case a
        child should be using wake style bindings, as controlling the board
        while dragging under water requires skills beyond capabilities of many
        adults.

        Thanks for raising this issue, because when writing this email I came to
        the following conclusion: I have a 12 years old who is old enough to
        learn waterskills - bearing in mind that she does horseriding and enjoys
        occational scubadiving too... where as I consider the 10 years old being
        too young to perform a self rescue - even though he is a keen kiteflyer
        and rollerboarder and hence could stay on the kiteboard sooner than the
        12 years old, but he would not yet be ready to perform self rescue under
        stress.

        That’s my eurocents worth...