Children kitesurfing

  • stuartdbenson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
      There were some posts ages ago on kids kitesurfing. My 6 year old is
      now doing great with a foil stunt kite on the beach - including
      tricks of his own - and wants to progress to the water. I think
      there are some obvious safety issues, and I think he should go out
      on two lines with no harness loop, kite leash with QR, helmet, full
      flotation device, not too many people on the water etc. Anyone got
      any other hints and tips - even those saying "you must be mad, leave
      it 5 years" ideally with reasons?
    • p
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
        I'm no expert but the transition from stunt kite to
        traction kiting is HUGE.. and then kitesurfing is a
        whole level above. It really is a different world. The
        fact that a 'kite' is involved is nothing to go by.
        I'm sure you'll get loads of advice from the experts
        but I have a few thoughts.

        Firstly you dont want to see your kid in trouble out
        on the water - you wont be able to get out there in
        help them in time. Say the kite lofts and they get
        their foot/arm/haed wrapped round line.. could you
        really trust your kid with a knife to cut themselves
        free while being dragged through the water?

        The kitesurfing gear is made for adults, the power
        this kit generates is tailored for people heavy and
        strong enough to hold it down. You'll have to
        consider building a board for the stance of a 6 year
        old. You are going to have to think about putting them
        in a harness (cos they'll get super tired otherwise)
        and I've never seen one that small. You really should
        consider lessons - if you'll find anyone who'll teach
        someone that young!

        If I was in your shoes I would keep them on land, its
        going to be cheaper and safer to school them in
        kitesurfing through 'landboarding'. You'll pick up a
        good traction foil and mountainboard better suited to
        that size/strength. Its just about as much fun and is
        far more accessable than water.

        Hung Vu has a section on that on his website.

        good luck! Maybe read Rick Lossi's KSI log to them at
        bedtime.. if I had a kid I'd rather give them
        kitemares than put them out to sea on their own. Then
        again.. I dont know your kid.. maybe you have your
        reasons (o;
        --- stuartdbenson <stuart.benson@...> wrote:
        > There were some posts ages ago on kids kitesurfing.
        > My 6 year old is
        > now doing great with a foil stunt kite on the beach
        > - including
        > tricks of his own - and wants to progress to the
        > water. I think
        > there are some obvious safety issues, and I think he
        > should go out
        > on two lines with no harness loop, kite leash with
        > QR, helmet, full
        > flotation device, not too many people on the water
        > etc. Anyone got
        > any other hints and tips - even those saying "you
        > must be mad, leave
        > it 5 years" ideally with reasons?

        =====
        Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Cha-Chu.

        But I think it's Colin. --Tommy Cooper

        http://calendar.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
          6 may be a bit too young for kitesurfing. School normally don't teach
          kids snowboarding until they are 8. I would say at least 9-10 for
          kitesurfing.

          My son is 8 this year (an OK snowboarder) and he has been asking me for
          a lesson everytime I teach someone else but I think I will wait for at
          least 1 or 2 more years.

          Hung.

          stuartdbenson wrote:

          > There were some posts ages ago on kids kitesurfing. My 6 year old is
          > now doing great with a foil stunt kite on the beach - including
          > tricks of his own - and wants to progress to the water. I think
          > there are some obvious safety issues, and I think he should go out
          > on two lines with no harness loop, kite leash with QR, helmet, full
          > flotation device, not too many people on the water etc. Anyone got
          > any other hints and tips - even those saying "you must be mad, leave
          > it 5 years" ideally with reasons?
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
          > To subscribe, please send an email to
          > ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

        • Kite Power (Sydney)
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
            My kids grew up with kiting. We never pushed them to do anything in particular, and neither of the boys showed a lot of interest in the power kiting side until they were around 12 years old?
            They would come for rides in my buggy, and generally hang out while we indulged our passion, but mostly they liiked to fly stunt kites or small foils, just able to pull them a bit.
            When I taught kitemaking in schools, kids under ten were generally scared of the power, they do not like getting pulled. Once they start to develop physically they seem to want to try anything parents do, or that their peers do.
            Now, one son has become very involved in power kiting, and the other maintains a steady interest in kites but his first passion is trials bicycles.
            They have both grown to be bigger/stronger than me, so now I am the one needing protection from them. I think it is time we established a parental abuse hotline here!! :-)

            Personally I think there is a fine line between building your child positive self image/self esteem, and pumping their ego and your own to be risk takers, which is possibly why a lot of people would be concerned about teaching kids under 10 to do extreme sports. Kids this age are generally more interested in impressing a parent or peer, than understanding the consequences of a mistake when doing an extrme sport, under pressure.

            Then there is the no rules rule!
            :-)

            http://www.kitepower.com.au

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
              Thanks for the replies to this post (and the similar one on the main
              kitesurf site). To clarify, my kid is 6, first got dragged by a foil
              stunt kite (which I'd set up on a kitesurf bar) at 3, gave it up for
              two years, but has now picked it up incredibly quickly to the extent
              he does his own tricks on the beach. Ke can keep it in the air
              indefinitely even in 15 mph winds - better than many adults. He
              wants to kitesurf (like his daddy!) but I am nervous about it. I
              wondered whether anyone else had relevant experience, assuming this
              would be enough to deter him. I think the answer is yes, I have got
              enough ammo to deter him for a while. To me the big issue is being
              able to swim comfortably out of danger, and being old and wise
              enough to know what danger is.

              I think the general consensus is right; six is too young. What the
              actual youngest reasonable age is I don't yet know and anyway it
              will vary from child to child. Frankly my experience of the beach is
              that there are still many "adults" to young to be doing this
              dangerous sport!

              To those who have suggested windsurfing, yes but even the kid rigs I
              have tried are too heavy for him at the moment. Some people have
              suggested wakeboarding; does anyone know how/where to get a
              wakeboard small and light enough?
            • Petri Karjalainen
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
                Very good question. I am also sharing this very same dilemma of when to
                start gettig kids involved in kitesurfing, so let me share the thoughts
                about this for you others comments too.

                Personally I foresee three aspects in deciding about the right time:
                1) Physical abilities
                2) Mental abililties
                3) Equipment fit

                Physical abilities should be considered from muscle co-ordination and
                muscle strenght point of view. Both of them being fairly easy to assess,
                but when considering the strenght, the sheer power could be enough to
                fly the kite, but it is also the duration and strain that is put into
                joints and muscles that can affect the way how the child is developing
                in the future. The strenght needed in self rescue situations is much
                more difficult to assess and often more related to mental abilities that
                develop with the age.

                Mental abilities are much more difficult to assess. Generally it is easy
                to see when a child is able to fly a kite reflecting hand / eye
                co-ordination. This unfortunately has very little to do with the mental
                abilities which are more related to anticipating dangers and acting
                under extreme stress to save oneself and possibly minimising harm to
                bystanders. Generally I would consider that 12-14 is an age where the
                child starts to consider how to protect not only himself but also the
                bystanders. Below that age in between 10-12 it is possible to have a
                certain (over)learned self rescue ability, but not really much below
                that.

                Equipment fit is not only choosing the right kite or consideration of
                having right wetsuit to protect the skin, but also helmet, floatition
                vest, harness and board fit. Poorly fitting equipment can turn the child
                away from the sport very easily and become a safety risk. In no case a
                child should be using wake style bindings, as controlling the board
                while dragging under water requires skills beyond capabilities of many
                adults.

                Thanks for raising this issue, because when writing this email I came to
                the following conclusion: I have a 12 years old who is old enough to
                learn waterskills - bearing in mind that she does horseriding and enjoys
                occational scubadiving too... where as I consider the 10 years old being
                too young to perform a self rescue - even though he is a keen kiteflyer
                and rollerboarder and hence could stay on the kiteboard sooner than the
                12 years old, but he would not yet be ready to perform self rescue under
                stress.

                That’s my eurocents worth...