Re: [ksurfschool] Digest Number 870

  • Bill Jones
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2003
      Hey flygirlb727,

      I would defintely recommend getting a trainer kite and video. Most of the intro videos are ok. They get boring but they cover the basics. Boost II is pretty good and goes all the from rigging the kite to how to jump.

      As far as a training kite. I would go with something around 2m. I started with the 2m airrush trainer and still fly it every once and a while for fun. I actually had a chance to fly the 1.5m t-foil trainer last weekend and was shocked at how hard that thing is to fly. The kite is just to small and responds very fast. It also have almost zero pull so it is difficult to feel what the kite is doing. When you kiteboard you are not really looking at the kite but instead flying a lot by feel.

      I would defintely recommend getting a trainer kite they are pretty cheap and the trainer foils can take a lot of abuse. I know mine has been crashed into everything from trees to parked cars. I would have get something that is at least 2m is size.

      Andy

      ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      There are 5 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Training Kite Question
      From: "flygirlb727"
      2. Re: Training Kite
      From: kennywek@...
      3. KITES FOR SALE!!!
      From: "hokipakite"
      4. Re: Training Kite Question
      From: "Chris Glazier"
      5. Re: Training Kite Question
      From: "vytaspass"

      Message: 1
      Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 03:15:34 -0000
      From: "flygirlb727"
      Subject: Training Kite Question

      I'm new to kitesurfing. As in, never tried it! I need some advice. But
      wait, you say, get an instructor. The problem is I live in Mississippi
      and plan to do this on a lake there. No one in this area has a clue
      what kitesurfing is. The nearest lessons are 5 hours away. So, I was
      looking at getting a T-Foil Training Kite with a video and starting
      there. Does that sound good? Or should/could I get a bigger kite that
      would take me safely from land training to water training. I'm 5'8"
      tall and weigh 140 lbs. I water ski (slalom) and jumped on the water
      ski team in college. I have snow-boarded a couple of times. So,
      knowing these things, what do you think? I need all the advice/ help I
      can get. Thanks! :)

      Message: 2
      Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 21:25:31 EDT
      From: kennywek@...
      Subject: Re: Training Kite

      Phil,
      Thank you for responding to my e-mail to you. I am brand new to this
      sport and have not actually done it yet. I was weighing out whether to get a
      small real kite, (i.e 5 M), with the expectation that I might use it later on
      snow or a "training kite" because my main use will be on the water. After
      talking to several people, I decided to start with the training kite.

      Bill Kenny
      kennywek@...

      Message: 3
      Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 04:17:28 -0000
      From: "hokipakite"
      Subject: KITES FOR SALE!!!

      2002 WIPIKA HYDROS FOR SALE

      BLACK AND WHITE 9M HYDROS
      EXCELLENT CONDITION
      USED VERY LITTLE
      NO RIPS OR REPAIRS
      COMES WITH BAG AND PUMP
      $650USD FIRM SOLD!!!!

      LIGHT BLUE 12M HYDRO
      EXCELLENT CONDITION
      WIPIKA FACTORY REPAIR ON PANEL AFTER A SNOW KITING TEAR
      THIS KITE IS SUPER STRONG AND HAS TONS OF LIFE LEFT
      $585USD
      MUST SELL WILL TAKE $525USD!!!

      THE HYDROS ARE WIPIKA'S TOP OF THE LINE MID ASPECT RATIO KITE, THEY
      ARE EXTREMELY STABLE, PREDICTABLE AND POWERFUL!

      2001 CAHBRINA BLACK TIP
      6M FLAT AREA
      BRAND NEW IN BAG
      $285USD

      ROLAND LEWIS
      416-894-4433
      lewisroland@...

      Message: 4
      Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 03:46:30 -0000
      From: "Chris Glazier"
      Subject: Re: Training Kite Question

      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "flygirlb727"
      wrote:
      > I'm new to kitesurfing. As in, never tried it! I need some advice.

      Flygirl
      A good lesson or two is most valuable. But you can figure out a lot
      of things yourself. Go to this website for more information:
      http://www.kitesurfingschool.org/

      And a good beginners video is available called How to Rip.

      Chris G

      Message: 5
      Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 14:36:40 -0000
      From: "vytaspass"

      Hi flygirl!

      Are you trying this alone? If so, I would recommend getting a
      trainer (like a B-2) and flying that for a while. If you want to get
      a kite that you can use on the water, at 140lbs, you could opt to
      get a larger foil kite in the size of around 4-5m for a bridled
      foil, or something like a Peter Lynn Guerilla 10m.

      The Peter Lynn G10 is suitable for high winds for your weight (15-
      25mph) so you can use it to "train yourself" in 10-15mph winds, but
      still use it on the water as you get better and are able to go in
      higher winds without making mistakes. The G10 will also completely
      depower when a leash is used and lay out flat like a flag, where an
      inflato will still hold shape and produce power making it a bit
      safer.

      I certainly wouldn't recommend getting a full-size kite for light
      winds, however, unless you're learning with a partner who can hold
      your harness and help you launch/land with assistance. For your
      weight, this would be approximately a 14m flat inflato. Being in
      Chicago, we probably get similar winds which tend to be 10-15mph in
      the summers.

      www.chicagokitesurfing.com