Re: [ksurfschool] 2 line vs 4 line

  • kennyfarnsworth@cs.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2000
      Ryan,

      The 15.5 is my favorite kite. It has a huge range. You can fly it in winds
      from 10 -25 mph. However, over 20 works you hard. Bigger is better, get the
      15.5. I am often the only guy out on the water because there is not enough
      wind for the wind surfers and guys with smaller kites to plane.

      Get the video "Kiteboarding: How to Rip Harder." It explains how to relaunch
      a 4 line AR-5. It will take some practise relaunching, but once you figure
      it out, you can launch every time as long as there is wind.

      Keep your 9.0 and convert to 4 lines. In 4 line mode it will be good from 16
      - 28 mph. It is the ideal size down from the 15.5.

      Kenny

      << Maybe the experienced can address some issues for me. I recently (2
      months)ago purchased my first kite. I have no kiting experience. I
      bought a Naish 9.0 because it was the biggest two line that i could
      buy. I have learned to fly it well enough eventhough the wind in
      South Florida is lite around this time.

      I have probably 15 hours under the kite (beach flying time), and
      about two hours water time. I have only encountered 2 days where the
      wind was strong enough and correct direction for me to get in the
      water. Even on these days, at maybe consistent 12-15 mph, wind i
      have to really FLY the kite to generate enough power to pull me. I
      weigh 180 and am usually a converted 6'3" tight railed and thin
      surfboard.

      My question. I am seriously considering Naish 13.5 or 15.5. The
      more i read the more i hear bigger is better. Predominant wind seems
      to be about 8-10, maybe 12 mph sustained. Almost daily this is the
      condition, i have learned to track the wind sensors. Is teh 4 line
      that much more difficult? I have learned to launch my 2 line very
      easily even in light wind as described. How about water launching in
      lite wind like 8-10?

      How much can you depower the 4 line? What percentage of power can i
      dump? equal the power of my 9.0? What is the realistic uper wind
      limit for a kite this size (13.5 - 15.5)? Keep the 9.0 or don't
      bother?

      Sorry so long winded, just don't have the knowledge or experience
      base to draw from. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Great
      sport, i just need a more appropriate set up!

      Thanks
      Ryan >>
    • Martyn_Gilson-1@sbphrd.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2000
        Another option is the F-ONE starter wing, about the same price and better
        quality. Even though there is no substitute for having a go yourself, the July
        Kitesurf magazine seem to rate it quite highly. I have used a 6.5M2 F-ONE foil
        (not the new starter wing) and in light winds with long lines it is hard to
        beat. Nice power and a wide wind window make it a good light wind option.

        Another slightly cheaper option is a blade 7.2M, I have not used one but this
        seems very powerful.
        Have a good weekend
        Martyn

        theraves@... on 02-Sep-2000 01:29

        Please respond to ksurfschool@egroups.com

        To: ksurfschool
        cc: (bcc: Martyn Gilson-1/DEV/PHRD/SB_PLC)
        Subject: Re: [ksurfschool] 2 line vs 4 line

        > > My question. I am seriously considering Naish 13.5 or 15.5. The
        > > more i read the more i hear bigger is better. Predominant wind seems
        > > to be about 8-10, maybe 12 mph sustained. Almost daily this is the
        > > condition, i have learned to track the wind sensors. Is teh 4 line
        > > that much more difficult?
        >
        > No it's not difficult. In the big kites they are so stable it's a
        non-issue.
        > 4 lines make a kite quicker turning and in smaller kite sizes this is bad.
        > The 15.5 would be MORE stable than your 2 line 9.0 Naish.
        >
        > I have learned to launch my 2 line very
        > > easily even in light wind as described. How about water launching in
        > > lite wind like 8-10?
        >
        > This will be your only learning obstacle. If you get instruction from
        > another AR5 kiter it will be easy for you. The AR5 requires some tips on
        > launching before you hit the water. Don't worry to much, just get some
        tips
        > from an AR5 kiter and you can do it.
        >
        > > How much can you depower the 4 line? What percentage of power can i
        > > dump? equal the power of my 9.0? What is the realistic uper wind
        > > limit for a kite this size (13.5 - 15.5)? Keep the 9.0 or don't
        > > bother?
        >
        > Around 20 mph. They have huge range. Get the 15.5.

        I gotta add my $0.02 since I just went through the same thing. 8-10 mph is
        truly light wind IMHO, same as we get in NE during summer doldrums. The
        15.5 is a light wind kite in the context of Maui, and the lightest wind
        inflatable. That does NOT make it a true light wind kite. I'm a little
        bigger than you with a smaller board, and that doesn't help, but there's NO
        WAY it's worthwhile for me to even set up the 15.5 in 8-10mph. If you want
        to get out in wind that low and come close to ripping you're gonna need a
        big foil, don't let anyone tell you different(unless they weigh under 120
        lbs or something like that).

        There was a thread in the other e-group about the 15.5 vs Mossie 9+, and the
        9+ is more powerful. So is the 7.5! What's the answer? I just got the
        Mossie 9+, and it REALLY IS the low wind solution. I'm going to post
        results on kitesurf list and reignite the issue.

        -Dave
      • David Raue
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2000