Re: Kite for newbie

  • hink_trent
    Message 1 of 9 , May 22, 2003
      The 9.5 frenzy is equivalent to a 12-13 tube kite so why should he
      get another kite with the same power range? It depends on where you
      live, what you weigh and what the winds are like.

      If you are mountian boarding with a 9.5 foil then you probably live
      in a lightwind area - the 16.5 size is probably fine, possibly even
      on the small side if they are using flat sizing and depending on what
      winds you plan to ride in.

      Sorry, I have never even seen a takoon kite in person so I cna't
      comment on them.

      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, jakob Thegerström <jakobjth@y...>
      wrote:
      > For me it seems to be quite a big kite (16.5 square
      > meters if i'm correct?). I think you should begin with
      > something smaller... probably 11-13 square meters for
      > your weight... but the price is nice...
      >
      > // J
      >

      > --- train@g... skrev:
      > ---------------------------------
      > I've been flying Ozone Frenzy 9.5m foil kites with
      > landboard for about 4
      > months (I weigh 83kg). I've got the stage where I can
      > control the kite fairly
      > well and board, but I'd now like to switch to water
      > and thus I'm looking for a
      > water kite and board (possible used) for summer use on
      > big lakes and seaside.
      >
      > Someone has offered me a nearly new Takoon Wook 16.5m
      > for $900US.
      >
      > Any opinions on that kite and whether it might be
      > appropriate for me as a
      > newbie with foil and boarding experience?
      >
      > Ted
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      > answers

      > ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
      > To subscribe, please send an email to
      > ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

      > Terms of Service.

      > Gå före i kön och få din sajt värderad på nolltid med Yahoo! Express
      > Se mer på: http://se.docs.yahoo.com/info/express/help/index.html
    • Mark Pronk
      Message 2 of 9 , May 23, 2003
        Hink,

        Its so that the Frenzy is an open cell foil. Intended for any place but the
        water. Open cell kites are not relaunchable.

        So, if Ted's a pro-kitesurfer he's gonna have lots of fun with it, but if he
        drops it the fun is over.

        Ted, go for something else on the water, not for the Frenzy. Unless you're
        in a spot with shallow waters and no currents.

        Takoon can't be bad, heard lots of good stories about them so if you can
        Ted, go for it ;-)

        Mark

        Have fun kiting, whatever you fly!
        http://www.foils.nl <http://www.foils.nl/>

        <http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm> for the
        > answers

        > ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
        > To subscribe, please send an email to
        > ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

        > Terms of Service.

        > Gå före i kön och få din sajt värderad på nolltid med Yahoo! Express
        > Se mer på: http://se.docs.yahoo.com/info/express/help/index.html
        <http://se.docs.yahoo.com/info/express/help/index.html>

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3179269.4495679.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17051009
        63:HM/A=1524963/R=0/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&linei
        d=3179269&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=249982.3179269.4495679.1261774/D=egroupmai
        l/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=755771521>

        http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm
        <http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm> for the answers

      • jakobjth
        Message 3 of 9 , May 23, 2003
          Ok maybe I'm wrong but the Takkoon 16.5 kite is the largest kite from
          this mark. It's designed for the windspan 6 to 15 knts ( ~3-7.5 ms).
          So if the wind speed up to 10-11ms 20-22knts you will be in a power
          up condition and that can be dangerous. If you're an experienced kite
          surfer this should not be a problem if you are careful under what
          condition you fly... but if you're a beginner (like I am!) to power
          kiting you should maybe consider a smaller kite...

          correct me if i'm wrong about this information?!

          I found the information about the kite takoon wook on these sites:

          http://www.surfstore.co.uk/acatalog/Takoon.html
          http://www.bilboquet.com/content/12/2/834.html

          // J

          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "hink_trent" <hink_trent@y...>

          Message 4 of 9 , May 23, 2003
            My point was that the guy has experience with a larger kite and is
            probably either very heavy or lives in a location with light winds,
            So a 16 meter LEI will probably not be to big for him.

            I did not reccomed the frenzy for a beginner on the water, even
            though I got my first rides on the water using my open-celled buggy
            foil. Incidently if you crash one straight down into the water it is
            possible to relaunch them if you are fast on pulling the brake line
            and a little bit lucky.

            When he is more experienced and has some confidence, he'll be able to
            use the frenzy at least for cruising around when it is too windy for
            the 16.5 LEI.

            When I first got into kiting, The local dealer reccomeded I get a 5
            meter naish AR3 since anything else would be "too big" and "too
            dangerous" for learning kitesurfing. I decided to get a 3m foil
            instead and use that in the winter to learn kite skills.

            When I tried the 3m out, it seemed powerful when standing still but I
            was very dissapointed at at the lack of power for getting me moving
            on skis, unless the wind was really blowing hard.

            It makes me sick to think I almost took the dealer's advice and spent
            $700 on a 5 meter LEI. My 3 meter foil probably has about the same
            power and in the last three years there have only been about 3 days
            when It was windy enough to take the 3m on the water, and even on
            those days I did not have enough power to ride upwind. I live in a
            light wind area and most of the time I need a 16 meter foil and often
            that is not enough.

            Sure the reccomended beginner size now is 12m instead of 5. It is
            still way too small for some areas. Ted already has flown a 9.5 foil,
            which has about the same power as a 12meter LEI. He probably realizes
            that the 9.5 is not enough power for him to get on the water so he
            wants something with enough power. Reccomending a 12 meter kite is
            bad - it is essentially the same as what he has already, just a
            little more user friendly on the water.

          • nhugroups
            Message 5 of 9 , May 23, 2003
              Thanks all for replying to my questions about the Takoon 16.5m
              and kite sizing for my first LEI :).

              I'm comfortable flying my Frenzy 9.5m (open cell de-powerable
              foil) and crash only when there is not enough wind to landboard.
              I weigh 83kgs (going down to 75kg!) and plan to buy and fly my
              first LEI for light wind conditions in Canadian lakes and UK
              seaside - i.e. 8-18 knots (if a kite will span that) - not Maui :(.

              I started with a 7.3M Frenzy, but didn't really crack landboarding
              with it because I needed 14 knots before I could get going. In
              those winds the kite was all over the sky and I only ever got got
              the hang of it when (with knocking knees) I test drove the 12m
              Frenzy. Suddenly I was able to landboard and went out and
              bought the 9.5m straightaway. Things just happened more
              slowly and predictably with those bigger kites which
              paradoxically meant they were easier to learn to board on -
              providing I chose light wind days.

              Question 1: Is this likely to be the same scenario for learning
              with my first LEI?

              I agree with Hink that a larger LEI around 16m would give me the
              option of switching to my 9.5m Frenzy when the wind went above,
              say 15knots. I do appreciate the concern of others about not
              getting in over my head with a large first LEI. So I'd like to hear
              more from those kind peeps.

              Question 2: Perhaps these folks are lighter than me - or fly in
              conditions starting at 14 knots? I'm curious.

              Question 3: I'd like my first LEI to be suitable for 8-15 knots
              kitesurfing and one that could take me to an intermediate level
              with medium floaty jumps. Given all this - I'd appreciate opinions
              on specific kite and board sizes for my situation? Anymore ideas
              on the 16.5m Takoon?

              Ted
            • Kite Power (Sydney)
              Message 6 of 9 , May 23, 2003
                G'day Mark
                True the Frenzy is open celled, but it can often be re-launch from water, especially if the bar is let go of, as the kite then will land on the waters surface TE down, and can be easily launched.
                If it hits LE first and stays there (because you have not let go of the bar) then release the bar, it will reverse off the water and land on its TE, ready for re-launch. I would estimate the kite will still be launchable after several minutes in this position.

                The Frenzy is designed to be used on land snow and water, the perfect crossover kite!

                http://www.kitepower.com.au

                Message 7 of 9 , May 24, 2003
                  G'day Ted
                  - i.e. 8-18 knots (if a kite will span that) - not Maui :(.
                  Many 16.0/18.0M inflatable kites will give you this wind range

                  I started with a 7.3M Frenzy, but didn't really crack landboarding
                  with it because I needed 14 knots before I could get going. In
                  those winds the kite was all over the sky and I only ever got got
                  the hang of it when (with knocking knees) I test drove the 12m
                  Frenzy. Suddenly I was able to landboard and went out and
                  bought the 9.5m straightaway. Things just happened more
                  slowly and predictably with those bigger kites which
                  paradoxically meant they were easier to learn to board on -
                  providing I chose light wind days.

                  Question 1: Is this likely to be the same scenario for learning
                  with my first LEI?

                  So you learned that a certain minimum kite power is needed to actually "do" each sport properly. The amount of power does intimidate people at first, but you get used to it. Getting used to it can lead some people to do dangerous things, mainly due the their inexperience/ignorance of the danger, but it sounds like you are take a more measured approach?

                  I agree with Hink that a larger LEI around 16m would give me the
                  option of switching to my 9.5m Frenzy when the wind went above,
                  say 15knots. I do appreciate the concern of others about not
                  getting in over my head with a large first LEI. So I'd like to hear
                  more from those kind peeps.

                  Its more about not wasting money getting 2 kites that have too much overlap in wind range. You already have a large amount of kte flying experience.

                  Question 2: Perhaps these folks are lighter than me - or fly in
                  conditions starting at 14 knots? I'm curious.

                  Some people will only kiteboard when the wind is strong enough to jump reasonabley high, others will go out with a mal surfboard, 16.0 inflato, when the wind is 5/6knots, there is no rule book about what is fun............is there?

                  Question 3: I'd like my first LEI to be suitable for 8-15 knots
                  kitesurfing and one that could take me to an intermediate level
                  with medium floaty jumps. Given all this - I'd appreciate opinions
                  on specific kite and board sizes for my situation? Anymore ideas
                  on the 16.5m Takoon?

                  Don't know about the new Takoons, but they were very similar to Wipika Airblasts, and GRK kites.
                  Any of the new 2002/2003 kites in the 15.0 to 18.0 sizes will do what you want, especially, naish aero 2, naish X3 and X2, North Rhino1 and 2, F-One Mach 1 18.1, and mach 2 16.0, Flexifoil Storm 1, 16.0 Storm2 16.0/18, etc

                  http://www.kitepower.com.au