Re: [ksurfschool] 2 line vs 4 line

  • Dwight & Jacky
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31 6:46 PM
      > My question. I am seriously considering Naish 13.5 or 15.5. The
      > more i read the more i hear bigger is better. Predominant wind seems
      > to be about 8-10, maybe 12 mph sustained. Almost daily this is the
      > condition, i have learned to track the wind sensors. Is teh 4 line
      > that much more difficult?

      No it's not difficult. In the big kites they are so stable it's a non-issue.
      4 lines make a kite quicker turning and in smaller kite sizes this is bad.
      The 15.5 would be MORE stable than your 2 line 9.0 Naish.

      I have learned to launch my 2 line very
      > easily even in light wind as described. How about water launching in
      > lite wind like 8-10?

      This will be your only learning obstacle. If you get instruction from
      another AR5 kiter it will be easy for you. The AR5 requires some tips on
      launching before you hit the water. Don't worry to much, just get some tips
      from an AR5 kiter and you can do it.

      > How much can you depower the 4 line? What percentage of power can i
      > dump? equal the power of my 9.0? What is the realistic uper wind
      > limit for a kite this size (13.5 - 15.5)? Keep the 9.0 or don't
      > bother?

      Around 20 mph. They have huge range. Get the 15.5.

      Dwight

      P.S. I have the 13.5

    • kennyfarnsworth@cs.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31 8:58 PM
        Ryan,

        The 15.5 is my favorite kite. It has a huge range. You can fly it in winds
        from 10 -25 mph. However, over 20 works you hard. Bigger is better, get the
        15.5. I am often the only guy out on the water because there is not enough
        wind for the wind surfers and guys with smaller kites to plane.

        Get the video "Kiteboarding: How to Rip Harder." It explains how to relaunch
        a 4 line AR-5. It will take some practise relaunching, but once you figure
        it out, you can launch every time as long as there is wind.

        Keep your 9.0 and convert to 4 lines. In 4 line mode it will be good from 16
        - 28 mph. It is the ideal size down from the 15.5.

        Kenny

        << Maybe the experienced can address some issues for me. I recently (2
        months)ago purchased my first kite. I have no kiting experience. I
        bought a Naish 9.0 because it was the biggest two line that i could
        buy. I have learned to fly it well enough eventhough the wind in
        South Florida is lite around this time.

        I have probably 15 hours under the kite (beach flying time), and
        about two hours water time. I have only encountered 2 days where the
        wind was strong enough and correct direction for me to get in the
        water. Even on these days, at maybe consistent 12-15 mph, wind i
        have to really FLY the kite to generate enough power to pull me. I
        weigh 180 and am usually a converted 6'3" tight railed and thin
        surfboard.

        My question. I am seriously considering Naish 13.5 or 15.5. The
        more i read the more i hear bigger is better. Predominant wind seems
        to be about 8-10, maybe 12 mph sustained. Almost daily this is the
        condition, i have learned to track the wind sensors. Is teh 4 line
        that much more difficult? I have learned to launch my 2 line very

      • Martyn_Gilson-1@sbphrd.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2000
          Another option is the F-ONE starter wing, about the same price and better
          quality. Even though there is no substitute for having a go yourself, the July
          Kitesurf magazine seem to rate it quite highly. I have used a 6.5M2 F-ONE foil
          (not the new starter wing) and in light winds with long lines it is hard to
          beat. Nice power and a wide wind window make it a good light wind option.

          Another slightly cheaper option is a blade 7.2M, I have not used one but this
          seems very powerful.
          Have a good weekend
          Martyn

          theraves@... on 02-Sep-2000 01:29

          Please respond to ksurfschool@egroups.com

          To: ksurfschool
          cc: (bcc: Martyn Gilson-1/DEV/PHRD/SB_PLC)
          Subject: Re: [ksurfschool] 2 line vs 4 line

          > > My question. I am seriously considering Naish 13.5 or 15.5. The
          > > more i read the more i hear bigger is better. Predominant wind seems
          > > to be about 8-10, maybe 12 mph sustained. Almost daily this is the
          > > condition, i have learned to track the wind sensors. Is teh 4 line
          > > that much more difficult?
          >
          > No it's not difficult. In the big kites they are so stable it's a
          non-issue.
          > 4 lines make a kite quicker turning and in smaller kite sizes this is bad.
          > The 15.5 would be MORE stable than your 2 line 9.0 Naish.
          >
          > I have learned to launch my 2 line very
          > > easily even in light wind as described. How about water launching in
          > > lite wind like 8-10?
          >
          > This will be your only learning obstacle. If you get instruction from
          > another AR5 kiter it will be easy for you. The AR5 requires some tips on
          > launching before you hit the water. Don't worry to much, just get some
          tips
          > from an AR5 kiter and you can do it.
          >
          > > How much can you depower the 4 line? What percentage of power can i
          > > dump? equal the power of my 9.0? What is the realistic uper wind
          > > limit for a kite this size (13.5 - 15.5)? Keep the 9.0 or don't
          > > bother?
          >
          > Around 20 mph. They have huge range. Get the 15.5.

          I gotta add my $0.02 since I just went through the same thing. 8-10 mph is
          truly light wind IMHO, same as we get in NE during summer doldrums. The
          15.5 is a light wind kite in the context of Maui, and the lightest wind
          inflatable. That does NOT make it a true light wind kite. I'm a little
          bigger than you with a smaller board, and that doesn't help, but there's NO
          WAY it's worthwhile for me to even set up the 15.5 in 8-10mph. If you want
          to get out in wind that low and come close to ripping you're gonna need a
          big foil, don't let anyone tell you different(unless they weigh under 120
          lbs or something like that).

          There was a thread in the other e-group about the 15.5 vs Mossie 9+, and the
          9+ is more powerful. So is the 7.5! What's the answer? I just got the
          Mossie 9+, and it REALLY IS the low wind solution. I'm going to post
          results on kitesurf list and reignite the issue.

          -Dave
        • David Raue
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2000