Re: [ksurfschool] Re: old exploding kites

  • Kite Power (Sydney)
    Message 1 of 18 , May 7, 2003
      Repairing large splits in bladders is not that hard, I do it regualrly here to save people like you buying a bladder for a kite that is realistically on its last legs.
      Get the old bladder out and get an old bladder (shops are the best source) cut a patch at least 50% as big as needed. Trace the shape of the split onto the patch with a marker pen. Turn the patch over and cello tape it to a flat hard surface like a formica table top.
      Put a thin continous bead of glue approx 1cm away from the line on your patch all the way around the line.
      Carefully lay the bladder over the patch, using the line you traced earlier, to align the bladder, patch and glue properly.
      Then place heavy phone books or similar on the patch and leave for at least 30 mins, but longer if you have the time.

      Remove bladder from the table top and inflate, check for leaks. If you are lucky and were careful with your handywork, the repair will be finished.
      If not, you will have a small leak(S) somewhere, just apply glue between the oversize patch and the bladder in the area of the leak and weigh down with heavy objects again. Inflate and test againuntil you have got all the holes/leaks.

      If the rip is particularly long and jagged, carefully cellotape the tear back together as neat as needed, before commencing the first step of glueing the patch to the bladder above.

      I test for the initial leaks after the first repair attempt, with a spray bottle containing water and a couple of drops of dishwashing detergent, final leak test is in a large tub of water, with the bladder well inflated.

      I have successfully repaired holes as long as 24" approx. Good luck.
      http://www.kitepower.com.au

      Message 2 of 18 , May 8, 2003
        Steve,
        Thanks for the great guidance. I will give it a try...Hal

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Kite Power \(Sydney\)"

        Service.

      • Kite Power (Sydney)
        Message 3 of 18 , May 8, 2003
          The key to not going insane, or developing an overwhelming urge to destroy something, is to use cello tape to hold it all together! The patch must be taped down too.
          http://www.kitepower.com.au

          <sydney@k...> wrote:
          > Repairing large splits in bladders is not that hard, I do it
          regualrly here to save people like you buying a bladder for a kite
          that is realistically on its last legs.
          > Get the old bladder out and get an old bladder (shops are the best
          source) cut a patch at least 50% as big as needed. Trace the shape of
          the split onto the patch with a marker pen. Turn the patch over and
          cello tape it to a flat hard surface like a formica table top.
          > Put a thin continous bead of glue approx 1cm away from the line on
          your patch all the way around the line.
          > Carefully lay the bladder over the patch, using the line you traced
          earlier, to align the bladder, patch and glue properly.
          > Then place heavy phone books or similar on the patch and leave for
          at least 30 mins, but longer if you have the time.

          > Remove bladder from the table top and inflate, check for leaks. If
          you are lucky and were careful with your handywork, the repair will
          be finished.
          > If not, you will have a small leak(S) somewhere, just apply glue
          between the oversize patch and the bladder in the area of the leak
          and weigh down with heavy objects again. Inflate and test againuntil
          you have got all the holes/leaks.

          > If the rip is particularly long and jagged, carefully cellotape the
          tear back together as neat as needed, before commencing the first
          step of glueing the patch to the bladder above.

          > I test for the initial leaks after the first repair attempt, with a
          spray bottle containing water and a couple of drops of dishwashing
          detergent, final leak test is in a large tub of water, with the
          bladder well inflated.

          > I have successfully repaired holes as long as 24" approx. Good luck.
          > Cya and
          > Goodwinds
          > Steve McCormack
          > http://www.kitepower.com.au

          Service.

        • haltabb
          Message 4 of 18 , May 9, 2003
            You mean tape the patch down to the table when you place the bladder
            down right? Should you put sail tape over the patch after the repair
            is made as extra holding or will the glue be enough. Thanks again
            for the help...Hal

            <sydney@k...> wrote:
            > The key to not going insane, or developing an overwhelming urge to
            destroy something, is to use cello tape to hold it all together! The
            patch must be taped down too.
            > Cya and
            > Goodwinds
            > Steve McCormack
            > http://www.kitepower.com.au

            Service.

          • Kite Power (Sydney)
            Message 5 of 18 , May 9, 2003
              Yeah tape the patch to the table first, then apply the continuous bead of glue, approx 1cm away from the maker pen otline of the split. Hold the split bladder together (just enough) with short pieces of cello tape (do not allow the cello tape to be under the glue), then apply the bladder to the patch carefully aligning it with the marker pen outline of the split.
              If there are no leaks there is no nead to apply more glue, or patches, the repair is done.
              http://www.kitepower.com.au

              <sydney@k...> wrote:
              > The key to not going insane, or developing an overwhelming urge to
              destroy something, is to use cello tape to hold it all together! The
              patch must be taped down too.
              > Cya and
              > Goodwinds
              > Steve McCormack
              > http://www.kitepower.com.au

              Service.

            • jcedwar
              Message 6 of 18 , May 10, 2003
                Great advice!

                Anyone got any good ideas for what can be used for patching other
                than trying to track down an old bladder?
                There's bound to be an inexpensive alternative to using old bladder
                material!

                Thanks!
                Jon

                Message 7 of 18 , May 10, 2003
                  There may well be some commonly available materials that "might" work, problem is if it doesnt you will have ruined the $200 bladder you are trying to save?
                  All decent shops will have a few old bladders laying around, I will post bits for free to anyone in Oz that asks?
                  http://www.kitepower.com.au

                  <sydney@k...> wrote:

                  > Get the old bladder out and get an old bladder (shops are the best
                  source) cut a patch at least 50% as big as needed.

                • matt nuzzo
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 13, 2003
                    if anyone has any info about speed kiting, speed
                    kiting gear, and any speed kiting events that have
                    been happening, please send that info to
                    Matt@.... Thanks -- Matt Nuzzo

                    http://search.yahoo.com
                  • inlandc
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 14, 2003
                      Matt,

                      Its over. It was in Lucate. the speeds were lame. Speedkiteboarding has been
                      cancelled.

                      philip

                      Philip Mann
                      Inland Sea Windsurf Co