2 line vs 4 line

  • ryansurf1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2000
      Maybe the experienced can address some issues for me. I recently (2
      months)ago purchased my first kite. I have no kiting experience. I
      bought a Naish 9.0 because it was the biggest two line that i could
      buy. I have learned to fly it well enough eventhough the wind in
      South Florida is lite around this time.

      I have probably 15 hours under the kite (beach flying time), and
      about two hours water time. I have only encountered 2 days where the
      wind was strong enough and correct direction for me to get in the
      water. Even on these days, at maybe consistent 12-15 mph, wind i
      have to really FLY the kite to generate enough power to pull me. I
      weigh 180 and am usually a converted 6'3" tight railed and thin
      surfboard.

      My question. I am seriously considering Naish 13.5 or 15.5. The
      more i read the more i hear bigger is better. Predominant wind seems
      to be about 8-10, maybe 12 mph sustained. Almost daily this is the
      condition, i have learned to track the wind sensors. Is teh 4 line
      that much more difficult? I have learned to launch my 2 line very
      easily even in light wind as described. How about water launching in
      lite wind like 8-10?

      How much can you depower the 4 line? What percentage of power can i
      dump? equal the power of my 9.0? What is the realistic uper wind
      limit for a kite this size (13.5 - 15.5)? Keep the 9.0 or don't
      bother?

      Sorry so long winded, just don't have the knowledge or experience
      base to draw from. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Great
      sport, i just need a more appropriate set up!

      Thanks
      Ryan