Kite design and construction

  • George Sarris
    Message 1 of 18 , May 5, 2003
      Has anyone designed and constructed a foil kite? If
      so, I would like to know how successful you were and
      was it worth the cost of the materials. I am
      considering designing a small foil about 3m2
      experimenting with various materials to see how it performs.

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • Mark Pronk
      Message 2 of 18 , May 5, 2003
        Hi George,

        I'd suggest you to go to the foildesign group @ yahoo..

        There is a full range of guys doing just that!

        Have fun building!!!

        Mark

        Have fun kiting, whatever you fly!
        <http://www.foils.nl/> http://www.foils.nl

        Has anyone designed and constructed a foil kite? If
        so, I would like to know how successful you were and
        was it worth the cost of the materials. I am
        considering designing a small foil about 3m2
        experimenting with various materials to see how it performs.

        http://search.yahoo.com <http://search.yahoo.com>

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=247865.3003379.4507215.1261774/D=egroupmai
        l/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=152990267>

        http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm
        <http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm> for the answers

      • George Sarris
        Message 3 of 18 , May 5, 2003
          Thanks Mark. I just joined the group.

          George
          --- Mark Pronk <mpronk@...> wrote:
          > Hi George,
          >
          > I'd suggest you to go to the foildesign group @
          > yahoo..
          >
          > There is a full range of guys doing just that!

          > Have fun building!!!
          >
          > Mark

          > Have fun kiting, whatever you fly!
          > <http://www.foils.nl/> http://www.foils.nl

          http://search.yahoo.com
        • Bobby Bobbins
          Message 4 of 18 , May 6, 2003
            I guess this seems stupidly obvious after the fact but
            I thought I share this info with anyone who like
            myself is a)a novice and b)can only afford second-hand
            gear.

            My 2000 Airblast blew up last night. There's a 1M
            long gash in the LE tube and inner. The reasons for
            this (all the pro's must be nodding/smiling) are...
            1)Dont inflate your kite too much. Even as the kite
            gets older and tired.. avoid the temptation to pump it
            harder so that it keeps its shape.
            2)The tired fabric is even more suseptable to being
            cut by little shells or damage from hitting the water.
            With it pumped hard.. a little cut very quickly turns
            in to something horrible.. like bursting a balloon

            So, I thought I'd pass that on.

            Could anyone point me the direction of where I might
            buy a bladder for a 2000 Airblast 11.8M??? PLEASE!!!

            thanks

            =====
            Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Cha-Chu.

            But I think it's Colin. --Tommy Cooper

            http://search.yahoo.com
          • Kite Power (Sydney)
            Message 5 of 18 , May 6, 2003
              Any kite can blow like yours, but it is most likely to happen to older kites now. It can still be repaired, but you need to take it to someone with expereince in repairing LE's. You should be able to the bladder from any Wipika dealer in your country, if you cannot get one I could most likely get one for you.
              If you are in the US you can get non genuine at around half the price of genuine, and I'm told they are even better than originals.

              Underinflating kites means you lose some performance, and they are a lot harder to re-launch.
              http://www.kitepower.com.au

              Message 6 of 18 , May 7, 2003
                I blew up the leading edge on my 2000 15.5 AR5 two weeks ago just by
                pumping it up. Yes I pumped it up too much! Airtime under
                kiterepair.com has been very responsive on the repair. I haven't
                gotten the kite back yet, so I haven't seen their work. If you find
                a good source for bladders please let me know. I am trying to patch
                mine, but would rather a new one if I can find one cheap.

                Hal

                --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Bobby Bobbins
                <chickenoriental@y...> wrote:
                > I guess this seems stupidly obvious after the fact but
                > I thought I share this info with anyone who like
                > myself is a)a novice and b)can only afford second-hand
                > gear.
                >
                > My 2000 Airblast blew up last night. There's a 1M
                > long gash in the LE tube and inner. The reasons for
                > this (all the pro's must be nodding/smiling) are...
                > 1)Dont inflate your kite too much. Even as the kite
                > gets older and tired.. avoid the temptation to pump it
                > harder so that it keeps its shape.
                > 2)The tired fabric is even more suseptable to being
                > cut by little shells or damage from hitting the water.
                > With it pumped hard.. a little cut very quickly turns
                > in to something horrible.. like bursting a balloon
                >
                > So, I thought I'd pass that on.
                >
                > Could anyone point me the direction of where I might
                > buy a bladder for a 2000 Airblast 11.8M??? PLEASE!!!
                >
                > thanks
                >
                > =====
                > Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5
                people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or
                my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Cha-Chu.

                > But I think it's Colin. --Tommy Cooper

                > http://search.yahoo.com
              • Bobby Bobbins
                Message 7 of 18 , May 7, 2003
                  Hi Hal, someone else sent me a link to airtime..
                  however I find it hard to justify the cost of $145 and
                  shipping is $7.50 for their 37' L.E. Bladder.

                  Someone is selling me an f-one mach-1 18M (last years
                  model) for $400. I cant see myself buying a bladder
                  for a kite that is on its last legs

                  Unless someone can point us at a cheaper source???

                  thanks again for the responses

                  =====
                  Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Cha-Chu.

                  But I think it's Colin. --Tommy Cooper

                  http://search.yahoo.com
                • pksebago
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 7, 2003
                    Try www.airtimegear.com for bladders

                    <chickenoriental@y...> wrote:
                    > I guess this seems stupidly obvious after the fact but
                    > I thought I share this info with anyone who like
                    > myself is a)a novice and b)can only afford second-hand
                    > gear.
                    >
                    > My 2000 Airblast blew up last night. There's a 1M
                    > long gash in the LE tube and inner. The reasons for
                    > this (all the pro's must be nodding/smiling) are...
                    > 1)Dont inflate your kite too much. Even as the kite
                    > gets older and tired.. avoid the temptation to pump it
                    > harder so that it keeps its shape.
                    > 2)The tired fabric is even more suseptable to being
                    > cut by little shells or damage from hitting the water.
                    > With it pumped hard.. a little cut very quickly turns
                    > in to something horrible.. like bursting a balloon
                    >
                    > So, I thought I'd pass that on.
                    >
                    > Could anyone point me the direction of where I might
                    > buy a bladder for a 2000 Airblast 11.8M??? PLEASE!!!
                    >
                    > thanks
                    >
                    > =====
                    > Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5
                    people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or
                    my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Cha-Chu.

                    > But I think it's Colin. --Tommy Cooper

                    > http://search.yahoo.com
                  • haltabb
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 7, 2003
                      That's exactly what I am debating. Do I just trash the kite or spend
                      the money for the repair. So I decided to send the kite off for
                      repair and try and patch my bladder (unless I can find a cheap
                      replacement). You are right, there is no point in spending $200 to
                      repair a kite worth only $250.

                      Thanks for the info on airtimegear.com. Their web sight doesn't have
                      anything on kite baldders, but I will email them.

                      Hal

                      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "pksebago" <Patkeeley@a...> wrote:

                      > Try www.airtimegear.com for bladders
                      >

                      > --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Bobby Bobbins
                      > <chickenoriental@y...> wrote:
                      > > I guess this seems stupidly obvious after the fact but
                      > > I thought I share this info with anyone who like
                      > > myself is a)a novice and b)can only afford second-hand
                      > > gear.
                      > >
                      > > My 2000 Airblast blew up last night. There's a 1M
                      > > long gash in the LE tube and inner. The reasons for
                      > > this (all the pro's must be nodding/smiling) are...
                      > > 1)Dont inflate your kite too much. Even as the kite
                      > > gets older and tired.. avoid the temptation to pump it
                      > > harder so that it keeps its shape.
                      > > 2)The tired fabric is even more suseptable to being
                      > > cut by little shells or damage from hitting the water.
                      > > With it pumped hard.. a little cut very quickly turns
                      > > in to something horrible.. like bursting a balloon
                      > >
                      > > So, I thought I'd pass that on.
                      > >
                      > > Could anyone point me the direction of where I might
                      > > buy a bladder for a 2000 Airblast 11.8M??? PLEASE!!!
                      > >
                      > > thanks
                      > >
                      > > =====
                      > > Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are
                      5
                      > people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum
                      or
                      > my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Cha-Chu.
                      > >
                      > > But I think it's Colin. --Tommy Cooper

                      > > http://search.yahoo.com
                    • Kite Power (Sydney)
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 7, 2003
                        Repairing large splits in bladders is not that hard, I do it regualrly here to save people like you buying a bladder for a kite that is realistically on its last legs.
                        Get the old bladder out and get an old bladder (shops are the best source) cut a patch at least 50% as big as needed. Trace the shape of the split onto the patch with a marker pen. Turn the patch over and cello tape it to a flat hard surface like a formica table top.
                        Put a thin continous bead of glue approx 1cm away from the line on your patch all the way around the line.
                        Carefully lay the bladder over the patch, using the line you traced earlier, to align the bladder, patch and glue properly.
                        Then place heavy phone books or similar on the patch and leave for at least 30 mins, but longer if you have the time.

                        Remove bladder from the table top and inflate, check for leaks. If you are lucky and were careful with your handywork, the repair will be finished.
                        If not, you will have a small leak(S) somewhere, just apply glue between the oversize patch and the bladder in the area of the leak and weigh down with heavy objects again. Inflate and test againuntil you have got all the holes/leaks.

                        If the rip is particularly long and jagged, carefully cellotape the tear back together as neat as needed, before commencing the first step of glueing the patch to the bladder above.

                        I test for the initial leaks after the first repair attempt, with a spray bottle containing water and a couple of drops of dishwashing detergent, final leak test is in a large tub of water, with the bladder well inflated.

                        I have successfully repaired holes as long as 24" approx. Good luck.
                        http://www.kitepower.com.au

                        That's exactly what I am debating. Do I just trash the kite or spend
                        the money for the repair. So I decided to send the kite off for
                        repair and try and patch my bladder (unless I can find a cheap
                        replacement). You are right, there is no point in spending $200 to
                        repair a kite worth only $250.

                        Thanks for the info on airtimegear.com. Their web sight doesn't have
                        anything on kite baldders, but I will email them.

                        Hal

                        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "pksebago" <Patkeeley@a...> wrote:

                        > Try www.airtimegear.com for bladders
                        >

                        > --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, Bobby Bobbins
                        > <chickenoriental@y...> wrote:
                        > > I guess this seems stupidly obvious after the fact but
                        > > I thought I share this info with anyone who like
                        > > myself is a)a novice and b)can only afford second-hand
                        > > gear.
                        > >
                        > > My 2000 Airblast blew up last night. There's a 1M
                        > > long gash in the LE tube and inner. The reasons for
                        > > this (all the pro's must be nodding/smiling) are...
                        > > 1)Dont inflate your kite too much. Even as the kite
                        > > gets older and tired.. avoid the temptation to pump it
                        > > harder so that it keeps its shape.
                        > > 2)The tired fabric is even more suseptable to being
                        > > cut by little shells or damage from hitting the water.
                        > > With it pumped hard.. a little cut very quickly turns
                        > > in to something horrible.. like bursting a balloon
                        > >
                        > > So, I thought I'd pass that on.
                        > >
                        > > Could anyone point me the direction of where I might
                        > > buy a bladder for a 2000 Airblast 11.8M??? PLEASE!!!
                        > >
                        > > thanks
                        > >
                        > > =====
                        > > Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are
                        5
                        > people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum
                        or
                        > my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Cha-Chu.
                        > >
                        > > But I think it's Colin. --Tommy Cooper

                        > > http://search.yahoo.com

                      • haltabb
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 8, 2003
                          Steve,
                          Thanks for the great guidance. I will give it a try...Hal

                          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Kite Power \(Sydney\)"

                          Service.

                        • Kite Power (Sydney)
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 8, 2003
                            The key to not going insane, or developing an overwhelming urge to destroy something, is to use cello tape to hold it all together! The patch must be taped down too.
                            http://www.kitepower.com.au

                            <sydney@k...> wrote:
                            > Repairing large splits in bladders is not that hard, I do it
                            regualrly here to save people like you buying a bladder for a kite
                            that is realistically on its last legs.
                            > Get the old bladder out and get an old bladder (shops are the best
                            source) cut a patch at least 50% as big as needed. Trace the shape of
                            the split onto the patch with a marker pen. Turn the patch over and
                            cello tape it to a flat hard surface like a formica table top.
                            > Put a thin continous bead of glue approx 1cm away from the line on
                            your patch all the way around the line.
                            > Carefully lay the bladder over the patch, using the line you traced
                            earlier, to align the bladder, patch and glue properly.
                            > Then place heavy phone books or similar on the patch and leave for
                            at least 30 mins, but longer if you have the time.

                            > Remove bladder from the table top and inflate, check for leaks. If
                            you are lucky and were careful with your handywork, the repair will
                            be finished.
                            > If not, you will have a small leak(S) somewhere, just apply glue
                            between the oversize patch and the bladder in the area of the leak
                            and weigh down with heavy objects again. Inflate and test againuntil
                            you have got all the holes/leaks.

                            > If the rip is particularly long and jagged, carefully cellotape the
                            tear back together as neat as needed, before commencing the first
                            step of glueing the patch to the bladder above.

                            > I test for the initial leaks after the first repair attempt, with a
                            spray bottle containing water and a couple of drops of dishwashing
                            detergent, final leak test is in a large tub of water, with the
                            bladder well inflated.

                            > I have successfully repaired holes as long as 24" approx. Good luck.
                            > Cya and
                            > Goodwinds
                            > Steve McCormack
                            > http://www.kitepower.com.au

                            Service.

                          • haltabb
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 9, 2003
                              You mean tape the patch down to the table when you place the bladder
                              down right? Should you put sail tape over the patch after the repair
                              is made as extra holding or will the glue be enough. Thanks again
                              for the help...Hal

                              <sydney@k...> wrote:
                              > The key to not going insane, or developing an overwhelming urge to
                              destroy something, is to use cello tape to hold it all together! The
                              patch must be taped down too.
                              > Cya and
                              > Goodwinds
                              > Steve McCormack
                              > http://www.kitepower.com.au

                              Service.

                            • Kite Power (Sydney)
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 9, 2003
                                Yeah tape the patch to the table first, then apply the continuous bead of glue, approx 1cm away from the maker pen otline of the split. Hold the split bladder together (just enough) with short pieces of cello tape (do not allow the cello tape to be under the glue), then apply the bladder to the patch carefully aligning it with the marker pen outline of the split.
                                If there are no leaks there is no nead to apply more glue, or patches, the repair is done.
                                http://www.kitepower.com.au

                                <sydney@k...> wrote:
                                > The key to not going insane, or developing an overwhelming urge to
                                destroy something, is to use cello tape to hold it all together! The
                                patch must be taped down too.
                                > Cya and
                                > Goodwinds
                                > Steve McCormack
                                > http://www.kitepower.com.au

                                Service.

                              • jcedwar
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 10, 2003
                                  Great advice!

                                  Anyone got any good ideas for what can be used for patching other
                                  than trying to track down an old bladder?
                                  There's bound to be an inexpensive alternative to using old bladder
                                  material!

                                  Thanks!
                                  Jon

                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 10, 2003
                                    There may well be some commonly available materials that "might" work, problem is if it doesnt you will have ruined the $200 bladder you are trying to save?
                                    All decent shops will have a few old bladders laying around, I will post bits for free to anyone in Oz that asks?
                                    http://www.kitepower.com.au

                                    <sydney@k...> wrote:

                                    > Get the old bladder out and get an old bladder (shops are the best
                                    source) cut a patch at least 50% as big as needed.

                                  • matt nuzzo
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 13, 2003
                                      if anyone has any info about speed kiting, speed
                                      kiting gear, and any speed kiting events that have
                                      been happening, please send that info to
                                      Matt@.... Thanks -- Matt Nuzzo

                                      http://search.yahoo.com
                                    • inlandc
                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 14, 2003
                                        Matt,

                                        Its over. It was in Lucate. the speeds were lame. Speedkiteboarding has been
                                        cancelled.

                                        philip

                                        Philip Mann
                                        Inland Sea Windsurf Co