Re: [ksurfschool] mountainkiteboardingstuffabout

  • Bobby Bobbins
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 17, 2003
      Recommended board - whatever takes your fancy. You
      pays for whats you gets. Cheapo chrome plated board
      with soft springs wont last a season, especially on a
      beach. I prefer MBS cos that was my first board.
      Flexifoil.com have got a range out that look pretty
      funky and are supposed to be just for kiting.

      With your weight I'd do three things. Check out your
      local 'mobility' shop i.e. the place that sells
      electric wheelchairs. They'll have a selection of fat
      wheels that, with the right bearings, will fit on your
      mountainboard axils. Fat wheels spread the weight
      over soft sand, narrow wheels dig in and you wont be
      going anywhere.
      Secondly, if you go for fatter wheels then you'll need
      to get longer axils. Search the web, I know they're
      commercially available for the MBS brand (and will
      probably fit the generic cheapo taiwanese copies).
      Third, jesus.. 220lbs!! get out and exercise more. I
      recommend kite flying (o;

      Another couple of points specifically about beaches.
      Salt and sand eat bearings for lunch. Get sealed
      bearing if you want to go more than a couple of days
      of usage and wash your kit off after every use.
      People are dumb as phuck. They will stand there and
      watch you fly at them.. its probably more dangerous to
      third parties that kitesurfing however once kiting is
      banned on a beach its banned for all. Finally, while
      I'm here, wear protection... hitting hard sand at
      20-30mph is like tickling your body parts with a belt
      sander. Only for people looking to get on the darwin
      awards.

      Good luck
      --- George Sarris <jakefarley2000@...> wrote:
> [...]
      > control
      > > of
      > > the board (like snowboard boots or wakeboard
      > > bindings)
      > > and will save you breaking your ankles which is
      > > always
      > > a drag - you will come in to situations where you
      > > may
      > > be stuck in the board and the kite is dragging you
      > > backwards. If your not too worried about looking
      > > tit I also recommend some heavy plastic foam to
      > > cover
      > > your butthole.
      > >
      > > Good luck, and I commend you starting on a small
      > > kite
      > > to learn the basics. I started on a 3m and got
      > > hooked.. the a 5m, the a wipi 7m and then 11.8.
      > Btw,
      > > use the sea kites on land too the bar works much
      > > better with a board than the traditional land
      > > traction
      > > kites handles which are aimed at the dollies in
      > > their
      > > trollies.
      > > --- "John F. Santos" <bamoffthelip@...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > I want to hear more about kiteboarding on land.
      > > > just bought a mountainboard, and I have a little
      > > 1m2
      > > > trainer kite, which is too small to pull me so
      > > far.
      > > > But, I had a bad experience this past weekend
      > with
      > > > my earthboard (which is pretty much my fault) I
      > > > took my board to a dirt road and I was going to
      > > ride
      > > > it a few hundred yards to where I wanted to fly
      > > the
      > > > kite. It had a mild grade which I thought wasn't
      > > any
      > > > big deal, but when I got to a spot where it was
      > > just
      > > > a bit more steep and the dirt was hard I started
      > > > picking up speed. Cool, I thought, but then
      > the
      > > > board started getting the wobbles and BAM!!!! I
      > > went
      > > > over forward. Scraped up my knee, forearm,
      > elbow,
      > > > back, and tore my pants. Ouch!!! Didn't think
      > that
      > > > would happen since I ride halfpipes on
      > snowboards
      > > > and skateboards. Should have listened to the
      > > > warnings about wearing pads. Tightened up my
      > > trucks
      > > > after that, but I think I may have overdone it
      > > > because it feel too stiff now. Haven't really
      > had
      > > > another chance to ride it.
      > > >
      > > > nhugroups <train@...> wrote:Any opinions
      > on
      > > > how useful windmeters are and which do you
      > > > recommend?
      > > >
      > > > I kiteboard on land and will turn to water this
      > > > summer.
      > > > Sometimes I don't have access to online weather
      > > > forecasts and
      > > > kite in unfamilar locations and have a hard time

      http://www.planex.org.uk/cnb/shop/planex?listPos=&productID=1

      0&search=&op=catalogue-product_info-null&prodCategoryID=1
      > > > www.intowind.com/windmeter-overview.html
      > > >

      > > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
      > > >
      > > > If you are new to kitesurfing, please visit
      > > > http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm for
      > the
      > > > answers
      > > > to the most frequently asked questions.
      > > >
      > > > To unsubscribe, please send an email to
      > > > ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
      > > > To subscribe, please send an email to
      > > > ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

      > Yahoo!
      > > > Terms of Service.

      > > > removed]
      > > >

      > > =====
      > > Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are
      > Chinese.
      > > And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be
      > > one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my
      > > older brother Colin. Or my younger brother
      > > Ho-Cha-Chu.
      > >
      > > But I think it's Colin. --Tommy Cooper

      > > Yahoo! Tax Center - File online, calculators,
      > forms,
      > > and more

      === message truncated ===

      =====