Re: [ksurfschool] how useful are windmeters?

  • John F. Santos
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 14, 2003
      I want to hear more about kiteboarding on land. I just bought a mountainboard, and I have a little 1m2 trainer kite, which is too small to pull me so far. But, I had a bad experience this past weekend with my earthboard (which is pretty much my fault) I took my board to a dirt road and I was going to ride it a few hundred yards to where I wanted to fly the kite. It had a mild grade which I thought wasn't any big deal, but when I got to a spot where it was just a bit more steep and the dirt was hard I started picking up speed. Cool, I thought, but then the board started getting the wobbles and BAM!!!! I went over forward. Scraped up my knee, forearm, elbow, back, and tore my pants. Ouch!!! Didn't think that would happen since I ride halfpipes on snowboards and skateboards. Should have listened to the warnings about wearing pads. Tightened up my trucks after that, but I think I may have overdone it because it feel too stiff now. Haven't really had another chance to ride it.

      nhugroups <train@...> wrote:Any opinions on how useful windmeters are and which do you
      recommend?

      I kiteboard on land and will turn to water this summer.
      Sometimes I don't have access to online weather forecasts and
      kite in unfamilar locations and have a hard time judging the wind
      speed and gustyness.

      Below are some urls Ive found so far.

      Advice appreciated.

      Ted

      http://www.kitedesigns.com/home/home.asp
      http://www.planex.org.uk/cnb/shop/planex?listPos=&productID=1
      0&search=&op=catalogue-product_info-null&prodCategoryID=1
      www.intowind.com/windmeter-overview.html

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Bobby Bobbins
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 14, 2003
        Speedwobble on a mountain board is a problem. I got
        round it by only tightening up the springs on the toe
        edge, I also put a load of bungees along the toe edge
        of a custom board I made once - I think there's some
        picts on Hung's site... let me look see..
        http://kitesurfingschool.org/kiteboarding.htm

        The reasons for this are primarily that you only
        really need to turn up-wind therfore you can reduce
        the wobble by only allowing the board to wobble one
        half of the oscilation.. does that make sense? I
        think Hung has a good description of this on his most
        informative site.

        Tricks I found for avoiding the wobbles are;
        1)Never stand up straight on the board when at speed,
        the oscillations occur when your center of gravity is
        directly over the board.
        2)Keeping the kite low will help you achieve point 1,
        if the kite is directly above you then you are forced
        to stand up straight
        3)Try riding in a sitting position, knees bent,
        majority of your body upwind of the board. It feels
        weird to start off with but gives you far greater
        control in absorbing gusts and bumps.
        4)Learn to scrub off speed. Get the back of the board
        to slide out a little, this totally avoids the
        oscillations, will slow you down a little and makes
        you look a pro (o;

        And yes - as mother always told me WEAR PROCTECTION,
        the usuall stuff is good but a nice pair of walking
        boots are a neat addition. Gives your more control of
        the board (like snowboard boots or wakeboard bindings)
        and will save you breaking your ankles which is always
        a drag - you will come in to situations where you may
        be stuck in the board and the kite is dragging you
        backwards. If your not too worried about looking a
        tit I also recommend some heavy plastic foam to cover
        your butthole.

        Good luck, and I commend you starting on a small kite
        to learn the basics. I started on a 3m and got
        hooked.. the a 5m, the a wipi 7m and then 11.8. Btw, I
        use the sea kites on land too the bar works much
        better with a board than the traditional land traction
        kites handles which are aimed at the dollies in their
        trollies.
        --- "John F. Santos" <bamoffthelip@...>
        wrote:
        > I want to hear more about kiteboarding on land. I
        > just bought a mountainboard, and I have a little 1m2
        > trainer kite, which is too small to pull me so far.
        > But, I had a bad experience this past weekend with
        > my earthboard (which is pretty much my fault) I
        > took my board to a dirt road and I was going to ride
        > it a few hundred yards to where I wanted to fly the
        > kite. It had a mild grade which I thought wasn't any
        > big deal, but when I got to a spot where it was just
        > a bit more steep and the dirt was hard I started
        > picking up speed. Cool, I thought, but then the
        > board started getting the wobbles and BAM!!!! I went
        > over forward. Scraped up my knee, forearm, elbow,
        > back, and tore my pants. Ouch!!! Didn't think that
        > would happen since I ride halfpipes on snowboards
        > and skateboards. Should have listened to the
        > warnings about wearing pads. Tightened up my trucks
        > after that, but I think I may have overdone it
        > because it feel too stiff now. Haven't really had
        > another chance to ride it.
        >
        > nhugroups <train@...> wrote:Any opinions on
        > how useful windmeters are and which do you
        > recommend?
        >
        > I kiteboard on land and will turn to water this
        > summer.
        > Sometimes I don't have access to online weather
        > forecasts and
        > kite in unfamilar locations and have a hard time
        > judging the wind
        > speed and gustyness.
        >
        > Below are some urls Ive found so far.
        >
        > Advice appreciated.
        >
        > Ted
        >
        > http://www.kitedesigns.com/home/home.asp

        http://www.planex.org.uk/cnb/shop/planex?listPos=&productID=1

        0&search=&op=catalogue-product_info-null&prodCategoryID=1
        > www.intowind.com/windmeter-overview.html
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        > answers

        > ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
        > To subscribe, please send an email to
        > ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

        > Terms of Service.

        > removed]

        =====
        Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Cha-Chu.

        But I think it's Colin. --Tommy Cooper

        http://tax.yahoo.com
      • John F. Santos
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 15, 2003
          KILLER INFO!!!!! Thanks, man. I haven't found a whole lot on kitemountainboarding on the internet. It makes sense that if you are using one edge of the board you won't wobble. I think I could have prevented that spill if I just would have turned one way or the other but the board is so new to me I don't have a feel for turning yet and I just wanted to feel what a bit of speed feels like. Now I know. OUCH!!

          Bobby Bobbins <chickenoriental@...> wrote:Speedwobble on a mountain board is a problem. I got

          =====
          Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Cha-Chu.

          But I think it's Colin. --Tommy Cooper

          http://tax.yahoo.com

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • George Sarris
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 15, 2003
            I've thought about mountain kite boarding on the
            beach, mainly in the late afternoon when it is
            deserted. Any recommendations on type of board and
            tire size? There are some pretty loose sandy areas and
            the usual hard packed sand at the waters edge. Also,
            I weigh in at 220lbs.

            http://search.yahoo.com
          • Bobby Bobbins
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 17, 2003
              Recommended board - whatever takes your fancy. You
              pays for whats you gets. Cheapo chrome plated board
              with soft springs wont last a season, especially on a
              beach. I prefer MBS cos that was my first board.
              Flexifoil.com have got a range out that look pretty
              funky and are supposed to be just for kiting.

              With your weight I'd do three things. Check out your
              local 'mobility' shop i.e. the place that sells
              electric wheelchairs. They'll have a selection of fat
              wheels that, with the right bearings, will fit on your
              mountainboard axils. Fat wheels spread the weight
              over soft sand, narrow wheels dig in and you wont be
              going anywhere.
              Secondly, if you go for fatter wheels then you'll need
              to get longer axils. Search the web, I know they're
              commercially available for the MBS brand (and will
              probably fit the generic cheapo taiwanese copies).
              Third, jesus.. 220lbs!! get out and exercise more. I
              recommend kite flying (o;

              Another couple of points specifically about beaches.
              Salt and sand eat bearings for lunch. Get sealed
              bearing if you want to go more than a couple of days
              of usage and wash your kit off after every use.
              People are dumb as phuck. They will stand there and
              watch you fly at them.. its probably more dangerous to
              third parties that kitesurfing however once kiting is
              banned on a beach its banned for all. Finally, while
              I'm here, wear protection... hitting hard sand at
              20-30mph is like tickling your body parts with a belt
              sander. Only for people looking to get on the darwin
              awards.

              Good luck
              --- George Sarris <jakefarley2000@...> wrote:
> [...]
              > > >

              > > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
              > > >
              > > > If you are new to kitesurfing, please visit
              > > > http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm for
              > the
              > > > answers
              > > > to the most frequently asked questions.
              > > >
              > > > To unsubscribe, please send an email to
              > > > ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
              > > > To subscribe, please send an email to
              > > > ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

              > Yahoo!
              > > > Terms of Service.

              > > > removed]
              > > >

              > > =====
              > > Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are
              > Chinese.
              > > And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be
              > > one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my
              > > older brother Colin. Or my younger brother
              > > Ho-Cha-Chu.
              > >
              > > But I think it's Colin. --Tommy Cooper

              > > Yahoo! Tax Center - File online, calculators,

              === message truncated ===

              =====