Re: [ksurfschool] Wipika Free Air 2001

  • Kite Power (Sydney)
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12, 2003
      Hi Sarah
      The Wipi Free Air were OK kites, a bit prone to luffing and delamination problems, definately works best as four line kite. If it is still in 2 line then allow approx $200 - $300 to get it converted.
      The kite sold new for approx $1900 -$2000, expect to pay less than $1000 for it now unless it is like new condition. Check for delamination, if the shiny surface of the bladders is peeling at all, do not buy the kite!
      The size will be OK, it will suit you in winds from approx 10 to 20 knots, but a lot depends on the board your weight, water surface, and your ease with the power of kiteboarding.

      If you are anywhere near Sydney or Geelong we have 2 dedicated kiteboarding/power kite stores, we only do kites (no windsurfing gear at all) and have done so for over 10 years now. Both stores carry a large range of used gear, and I beleive we have a range of kites that would be better than the Wipi, but it depends on how cheap the wipi is! :-))

      You will need a board approx 1.4 to 1.5M long, and don't forget lessons and make sure the kite comes with a leash.
      http://www.kitepower.com.au

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 14, 2003
        Hi Sarah
        That is a very old kite indeed....It wouldn't be worth much at all.
        Whether the size is good depends entirely on where you'll be kiting,
        ie what the most common wind speed where you are is. Not a bad
        beginner kite but there a lot better kites out there now, things have
        come a long way since then! Where abouts are you planning on kiting
        in Australia? I'm one of the 2 girls who kites regularly on the Gold
        Coast but if you are somewhere else then there a few people I can put
        you in touch with...Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll be addicted
        fast, make sure you get at least a few lessons so you don't wreck
        either yourself or your kite!
        Cheers
        Tabitha

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, sarah Ross <sportfizzi0@y...>