Bladder Glue

  • nzkiwikiter2002
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 12, 2003
      I am looking for some glue that will stick bladder material to
      itself. I have a pretty big hole that I want to glue a patch of the
      same material over.

      Does anyone know of a glue that will work? Or can anyone tell me the
      technical or brand name of the glue used in the repair kits (i.e. the
      Naish one)

      Thanks,
      Boris
    • Kite Power (Sydney)
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 12, 2003
        The stuff that comes with the naish kites can be found in bike shops. As far as I know it is the same as used to fix punctures, but always test a bit on the scrap bladder used to make the patch.
        I know clear polyurethane glue will work on a lot of bladders too, but it takes approx 8-10 hrs to set properly.
        Large patches are tricky to do, because most glues make the patch or the bladder to curl up (heaps), so what I do is tape the patch to a hard shiny surface like glass, laminex/formica, only put the glue around the perimeter of the patch, and then lay the bladder on top followed by a couple of phone books.
        Inflate and check for small leaks and patch these one at a time. I have saved customers buying new bladders on holes you would normally assume are unrepairable, by carefully using the technique above, ordinary sticky tape/cellotape is best to stick the patch down. Good luck.!
        http://www.kitepower.com.au

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 13, 2003
          Hi Steve..

          Can you give me a brand name for that clear polyurethane glue? The
          only stuff I've found so far sets hard, and expands slightly when
          curing. I had a go with some bike shop glue and it peels right off
          once it's cured - it just won't stick to the bladder material.

          Thanks again,
          Boris.

          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Kite Power \(Sydney\)"
          <sydney@k...> wrote:
          > The stuff that comes with the naish kites can be found in bike
          shops. As far as I know it is the same as used to fix punctures, but
          always test a bit on the scrap bladder used to make the patch.
          > I know clear polyurethane glue will work on a lot of bladders too,
          but it takes approx 8-10 hrs to set properly.
          > Large patches are tricky to do, because most glues make the patch
          or the bladder to curl up (heaps), so what I do is tape the patch to
          a hard shiny surface like glass, laminex/formica, only put the glue
          around the perimeter of the patch, and then lay the bladder on top
          followed by a couple of phone books.
          > Inflate and check for small leaks and patch these one at a time. I
          have saved customers buying new bladders on holes you would normally
          assume are unrepairable, by carefully using the technique above,
          ordinary sticky tape/cellotape is best to stick the patch down. Good
          luck.!
          > Cya and
          > Goodwinds
          > Steve McCormack
          > http://www.kitepower.com.au

          Service.

        • Kite Power (Sydney)
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 13, 2003
            Try a glue called Pattex.

            Cya and Goodwinds
            David Corrin
            302 the Grand Pde
            Sans Souci NSW
            Tel: (02) 9529 6894
            Mob: 0412 946 148
            http://www.kitepower.com.au
            also at Geelong and coogee.

            <sydney@k...> wrote:
            > The stuff that comes with the naish kites can be found in bike
            shops. As far as I know it is the same as used to fix punctures, but
            always test a bit on the scrap bladder used to make the patch.
            > I know clear polyurethane glue will work on a lot of bladders too,
            but it takes approx 8-10 hrs to set properly.
            > Large patches are tricky to do, because most glues make the patch
            or the bladder to curl up (heaps), so what I do is tape the patch to
            a hard shiny surface like glass, laminex/formica, only put the glue
            around the perimeter of the patch, and then lay the bladder on top
            followed by a couple of phone books.
            > Inflate and check for small leaks and patch these one at a time. I
            have saved customers buying new bladders on holes you would normally
            assume are unrepairable, by carefully using the technique above,
            ordinary sticky tape/cellotape is best to stick the patch down. Good
            luck.!
            > Cya and
            > Goodwinds
            > Steve McCormack
            > http://www.kitepower.com.au

            Service.

          • Alex Tien Do
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 18, 2003
              or seem grip
              u can find them in the camping section
              It works beautifully

              <sydney@k...> wrote:
              > The stuff that comes with the naish kites can be found in bike
              shops. As far as I know it is the same as used to fix punctures, but
              always test a bit on the scrap bladder used to make the patch.
              > I know clear polyurethane glue will work on a lot of bladders too,
              but it takes approx 8-10 hrs to set properly.
              > Large patches are tricky to do, because most glues make the patch
              or the bladder to curl up (heaps), so what I do is tape the patch to
              a hard shiny surface like glass, laminex/formica, only put the glue
              around the perimeter of the patch, and then lay the bladder on top
              followed by a couple of phone books.
              > Inflate and check for small leaks and patch these one at a time. I
              have saved customers buying new bladders on holes you would normally
              assume are unrepairable, by carefully using the technique above,
              ordinary sticky tape/cellotape is best to stick the patch down. Good
              luck.!
              > Cya and
              > Goodwinds
              > Steve McCormack
              > http://www.kitepower.com.au

              Service.

            • Alex Tien Do
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 18, 2003
                Anyone knows a place to kite in Kenya "East of Africa"

                Thanks

                <sydney@k...> wrote:
                > The stuff that comes with the naish kites can be found in bike
                shops. As far as I know it is the same as used to fix punctures, but
                always test a bit on the scrap bladder used to make the patch.
                > I know clear polyurethane glue will work on a lot of bladders too,
                but it takes approx 8-10 hrs to set properly.
                > Large patches are tricky to do, because most glues make the patch
                or the bladder to curl up (heaps), so what I do is tape the patch to
                a hard shiny surface like glass, laminex/formica, only put the glue
                around the perimeter of the patch, and then lay the bladder on top
                followed by a couple of phone books.
                > Inflate and check for small leaks and patch these one at a time. I
                have saved customers buying new bladders on holes you would normally
                assume are unrepairable, by carefully using the technique above,
                ordinary sticky tape/cellotape is best to stick the patch down. Good
                luck.!
                > Cya and
                > Goodwinds
                > Steve McCormack