Re: [ksurfschool] how useful are windmeters?

  • George Sarris
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 12, 2003
      You definitely need to get a wind meter, especially if
      you fly in an area where there are no other kiters.
      It is crucial to know the wind speed to determine the
      kite size. Also, you should check the weather
      forecast before you go out. A few quick measurements
      at the site may not tell what conditions will be in
      the next hour or so. Be extra safe.

      I don't recommend any particular brand of wind meter.
      It all depends on how much you can afford to spend.
      Before I bought mine I did some research on wind
      meters and you can spend from $20 US to $350 US
      depending on whether you want a simple pneumatic one
      that Dwyer Instruments makes (uses air pressure in a
      tube with a ball indicator) to the anemometer type
      with digital readout, temperature, relative humidity,
      etc. I opted for the middle of the road with Kestrel
      1000 (costs around $80 US). I would recommend one
      that has an enclosed turbine, digital readout and a
      carrying case.

      Fly Safe
      --- nhugroups <train@...> wrote:
      > Any opinions on how useful windmeters are and which
      > do you
      > recommend?
      >
      > I kiteboard on land and will turn to water this
      > summer.
      > Sometimes I don't have access to online weather
      > forecasts and
      > kite in unfamilar locations and have a hard time
      > judging the wind
      > speed and gustyness.
      >
      > Below are some urls Ive found so far.
      >
      > Advice appreciated.
      >
      > Ted
      >
      > http://www.kitedesigns.com/home/home.asp

      http://www.planex.org.uk/cnb/shop/planex?listPos=&productID=1

      0&search=&op=catalogue-product_info-null&prodCategoryID=1
      > www.intowind.com/windmeter-overview.html

      http://tax.yahoo.com
    • inlandc
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 12, 2003
        I recommend the SM-18 from Sky mate, Its simple durable and reads in many
        different modes.

        Wind meters are very useful as 5-8 knots can make a big difference in kite
        choice and safety.

        I have them in stock.

        http://www.kitesite.net/cgi-bin/shopper.exe?preadd=action&key=ACSM18

        Philip

        Philip Mann
        Inland Sea Windsurf Co
        Kitesite.net
        http://www.inlandsea.com
        http://www.kitesite.net
        888-465-2632
        802-862-3847

        Any opinions on how useful windmeters are and which do you
        recommend?

        I kiteboard on land and will turn to water this summer.
        Sometimes I don't have access to online weather forecasts and
        kite in unfamilar locations and have a hard time judging the wind
        speed and gustyness.

        Below are some urls Ive found so far.

        Advice appreciated.

        Ted

        http://www.kitedesigns.com/home/home.asp
        http://www.planex.org.uk/cnb/shop/planex?listPos=&productID=1
        0&search=&op=catalogue-product_info-null&prodCategoryID=1
        www.intowind.com/windmeter-overview.html

      • Kite Power (Sydney)
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 12, 2003
          Despite what some too cool for themselves dudes say they are a very useful thing to have on hand especially when you kite at an unfamiliar location.
          I can recommend the Kestrel 1000 as a very tough, waterproof, and accurate hand held windmeter, we sell them for $189.00aud.
          http://www.kitepower.com.au

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 14, 2003
            I want to hear more about kiteboarding on land. I just bought a mountainboard, and I have a little 1m2 trainer kite, which is too small to pull me so far. But, I had a bad experience this past weekend with my earthboard (which is pretty much my fault) I took my board to a dirt road and I was going to ride it a few hundred yards to where I wanted to fly the kite. It had a mild grade which I thought wasn't any big deal, but when I got to a spot where it was just a bit more steep and the dirt was hard I started picking up speed. Cool, I thought, but then the board started getting the wobbles and BAM!!!! I went over forward. Scraped up my knee, forearm, elbow, back, and tore my pants. Ouch!!! Didn't think that would happen since I ride halfpipes on snowboards and skateboards. Should have listened to the warnings about wearing pads. Tightened up my trucks after that, but I think I may have overdone it because it feel too stiff now. Haven't really had another chance to ride it.

            nhugroups <train@...> wrote:Any opinions on how useful windmeters are and which do you
            recommend?

            I kiteboard on land and will turn to water this summer.
            Sometimes I don't have access to online weather forecasts and
            kite in unfamilar locations and have a hard time judging the wind
            speed and gustyness.

            Below are some urls Ive found so far.

            Advice appreciated.

            Ted

            http://www.kitedesigns.com/home/home.asp
            http://www.planex.org.uk/cnb/shop/planex?listPos=&productID=1
            0&search=&op=catalogue-product_info-null&prodCategoryID=1
            www.intowind.com/windmeter-overview.html

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Bobby Bobbins
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 14, 2003
              Speedwobble on a mountain board is a problem. I got
              round it by only tightening up the springs on the toe
              edge, I also put a load of bungees along the toe edge
              of a custom board I made once - I think there's some
              picts on Hung's site... let me look see..
              http://kitesurfingschool.org/kiteboarding.htm

              The reasons for this are primarily that you only
              really need to turn up-wind therfore you can reduce
              the wobble by only allowing the board to wobble one
              half of the oscilation.. does that make sense? I
              think Hung has a good description of this on his most
              informative site.

              Tricks I found for avoiding the wobbles are;
              1)Never stand up straight on the board when at speed,
              the oscillations occur when your center of gravity is
              directly over the board.
              2)Keeping the kite low will help you achieve point 1,
              if the kite is directly above you then you are forced
              to stand up straight
              3)Try riding in a sitting position, knees bent,
              majority of your body upwind of the board. It feels
              weird to start off with but gives you far greater
              control in absorbing gusts and bumps.
              4)Learn to scrub off speed. Get the back of the board
              to slide out a little, this totally avoids the
              oscillations, will slow you down a little and makes
              you look a pro (o;

              And yes - as mother always told me WEAR PROCTECTION,
              the usuall stuff is good but a nice pair of walking
              boots are a neat addition. Gives your more control of
              the board (like snowboard boots or wakeboard bindings)
              and will save you breaking your ankles which is always
              a drag - you will come in to situations where you may
              be stuck in the board and the kite is dragging you
              backwards. If your not too worried about looking a
              tit I also recommend some heavy plastic foam to cover
              your butthole.

              Good luck, and I commend you starting on a small kite
              to learn the basics. I started on a 3m and got
              hooked.. the a 5m, the a wipi 7m and then 11.8. Btw, I
              use the sea kites on land too the bar works much
              better with a board than the traditional land traction
              kites handles which are aimed at the dollies in their
              trollies.
              --- "John F. Santos" <bamoffthelip@...>
              wrote:
              > I want to hear more about kiteboarding on land. I
              > just bought a mountainboard, and I have a little 1m2
              > trainer kite, which is too small to pull me so far.
              > But, I had a bad experience this past weekend with
              > my earthboard (which is pretty much my fault) I
              > took my board to a dirt road and I was going to ride
              > it a few hundred yards to where I wanted to fly the
              > kite. It had a mild grade which I thought wasn't any
              > big deal, but when I got to a spot where it was just
              > a bit more steep and the dirt was hard I started
              > picking up speed. Cool, I thought, but then the
              > board started getting the wobbles and BAM!!!! I went
              > over forward. Scraped up my knee, forearm, elbow,
              > back, and tore my pants. Ouch!!! Didn't think that
              > would happen since I ride halfpipes on snowboards
              > and skateboards. Should have listened to the
              > warnings about wearing pads. Tightened up my trucks
              > after that, but I think I may have overdone it
              > because it feel too stiff now. Haven't really had
              > another chance to ride it.
              >
              > nhugroups <train@...> wrote:Any opinions on
              > how useful windmeters are and which do you
              > recommend?
              >
              > I kiteboard on land and will turn to water this
              > summer.
              > Sometimes I don't have access to online weather
              > forecasts and
              > kite in unfamilar locations and have a hard time
              > judging the wind
              > speed and gustyness.
              >
              > Below are some urls Ive found so far.
              >
              > Advice appreciated.
              >
              > Ted
              >
              > http://www.kitedesigns.com/home/home.asp

              http://www.planex.org.uk/cnb/shop/planex?listPos=&productID=1

              0&search=&op=catalogue-product_info-null&prodCategoryID=1
              > www.intowind.com/windmeter-overview.html
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              > answers

              > ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
              > To subscribe, please send an email to
              > ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

              > Terms of Service.

              > removed]

              =====
              Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Cha-Chu.

              But I think it's Colin. --Tommy Cooper

              http://tax.yahoo.com
            • John F. Santos
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 15, 2003
                KILLER INFO!!!!! Thanks, man. I haven't found a whole lot on kitemountainboarding on the internet. It makes sense that if you are using one edge of the board you won't wobble. I think I could have prevented that spill if I just would have turned one way or the other but the board is so new to me I don't have a feel for turning yet and I just wanted to feel what a bit of speed feels like. Now I know. OUCH!!

                Bobby Bobbins <chickenoriental@...> wrote:Speedwobble on a mountain board is a problem. I got

                =====

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 15, 2003
                  I've thought about mountain kite boarding on the
                  beach, mainly in the late afternoon when it is
                  deserted. Any recommendations on type of board and
                  tire size? There are some pretty loose sandy areas and
                  the usual hard packed sand at the waters edge. Also,
                  I weigh in at 220lbs.

                  http://search.yahoo.com
                • Bobby Bobbins
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 17, 2003
                    Recommended board - whatever takes your fancy. You
                    pays for whats you gets. Cheapo chrome plated board
                    with soft springs wont last a season, especially on a
                    beach. I prefer MBS cos that was my first board.
                    Flexifoil.com have got a range out that look pretty
                    funky and are supposed to be just for kiting.

                    With your weight I'd do three things. Check out your
                    local 'mobility' shop i.e. the place that sells
                    electric wheelchairs. They'll have a selection of fat
                    wheels that, with the right bearings, will fit on your
                    mountainboard axils. Fat wheels spread the weight
                    over soft sand, narrow wheels dig in and you wont be
                    going anywhere.
                    Secondly, if you go for fatter wheels then you'll need
                    to get longer axils. Search the web, I know they're
                    commercially available for the MBS brand (and will
                    probably fit the generic cheapo taiwanese copies).
                    Third, jesus.. 220lbs!! get out and exercise more. I
                    recommend kite flying (o;

                    Another couple of points specifically about beaches.
                    Salt and sand eat bearings for lunch. Get sealed
                    bearing if you want to go more than a couple of days
                    of usage and wash your kit off after every use.
                    People are dumb as phuck. They will stand there and
                    watch you fly at them.. its probably more dangerous to
                    third parties that kitesurfing however once kiting is
                    banned on a beach its banned for all. Finally, while
                    I'm here, wear protection... hitting hard sand at
                    20-30mph is like tickling your body parts with a belt
                    sander. Only for people looking to get on the darwin
                    awards.

                    Good luck
                    --- George Sarris <jakefarley2000@...> wrote:
> [...]
                    > > >

                    > > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                    > > >
                    > > > If you are new to kitesurfing, please visit
                    > > > http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm for
                    > the
                    > > > answers
                    > > > to the most frequently asked questions.
                    > > >
                    > > > To unsubscribe, please send an email to
                    > > > ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
                    > > > To subscribe, please send an email to
                    > > > ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

                    > Yahoo!
                    > > > Terms of Service.

                    > > > removed]
                    > > >

                    > > =====
                    > > Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are
                    > Chinese.
                    > > And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be
                    > > one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my
                    > > older brother Colin. Or my younger brother
                    > > Ho-Cha-Chu.
                    > >
                    > > But I think it's Colin. --Tommy Cooper

                    > > Yahoo! Tax Center - File online, calculators,

                    === message truncated ===

                    =====