Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: I Keep loosing my edge...

Expand Messages
  • fernmanus
    Sam, A smaller board probably won t help you in the swell. I find that a smaller board helps you edge better in flat water, but in swell you will find
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 7, 2003
    • 0 Attachment
      Sam,

      A smaller board probably won't help you in the swell. I find that a
      smaller board helps you edge better in flat water, but in swell you
      will find yourself skipping over the water and nosing the tip in a
      lot more often than you would on a larger board. You will want to
      get a smaller board for jumping, but I would wait until you are more
      experienced. However, I agree with Jake about the cup idea and wear
      a helmet as well.

      If you are getting pulled over your edge you are A. Seriously
      overpowered or B. Not edging hard enough. If you want to keep
      riding during a serious wind acceleration, you are going to have to
      edge very hard to avoid going downwind. Experienced riders will
      often use the power to tack upwind in one direction and then go
      downwind the other direction doing stuff like jumping or riding a
      wave.

      If you ride in a place where you can watch other riders, watch what
      the more successful riders do and talk to them. Strategies vary by
      location according to the size of swell, wind conditions, etc. I
      know that you probably want to spend every minute on the water, but
      the next time you are getting slammed go into shore and watch to see
      how the other riders are handling the conditions.

      I am not familiar with the Rhino, so I don't know how much depower
      range is available. You may want to add additional depower range by
      having a longer strap to pull in during gusts.

      It is more difficult riding in swell than flat water, so if you ever
      get the opportunity, go someplace like Hatteras or S. Padre Island
      and try some flat water riding. You will immediately feel like an
      expert after battling pounding surf and huge swell.

      Kenny



      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, George Sarris
      <jakefarley2000@y...> wrote:
      > Sam,
      > I'm not an experienced kiteboarder but I would try a
      > smaller board, 150 or 160, and/or wear a cup.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Jake
      > --- Sam Morgan <nippleteam@y...> wrote:
      > > I ride a 16m2 Rhino on a switch 180 twin tip and I'm
      > > a fat 100kg.
      > > I've been finding that when the wind picks up
      > > 16-18knots the board
      > > will flatten out and slip straight out from under
      > > me. I ride in a bit
      > > of a swell, can't be helped, and when I go down a
      > > wave, or back of
      > > one, the lines will pull me over the board too, and
      > > or cause the
      > > above problem.
      > > I guess I just have to edge harder and allow for the
      > > swell, but can
      > > anyone tell me if it's something a bit simpler? It's
      > > really beggining
      > > to cause me pain, esp when my balls collide with the
      > > board!
      > > -Live harder, die sideways.
      > >
      > >
      >
      >
      > __________________________________________________
      > Do you Yahoo!?
      > Yahoo! Tax Center - File online, calculators, forms, and more
      > http://tax.yahoo.com
    • fernmanus
      Sam, One other thought comes to mind. Try using longer fins on the heelside edge of your board. This will make jibing a little tougher, but will help you
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 9, 2003
      • 0 Attachment
        Sam,

        One other thought comes to mind. Try using longer fins on the
        heelside edge of your board. This will make jibing a little
        tougher, but will help you hold an edge in the swell.

        Kenny

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Sam Morgan" <nippleteam@y...>
        wrote:
        > I ride a 16m2 Rhino on a switch 180 twin tip and I'm a fat 100kg.
        > I've been finding that when the wind picks up 16-18knots the board
        > will flatten out and slip straight out from under me. I ride in a
        bit
        > of a swell, can't be helped, and when I go down a wave, or back of
        > one, the lines will pull me over the board too, and or cause the
        > above problem.
        > I guess I just have to edge harder and allow for the swell, but
        can
        > anyone tell me if it's something a bit simpler? It's really
        beggining
        > to cause me pain, esp when my balls collide with the board!
        > -Live harder, die sideways.
      • Sam Morgan
        ... Thanks Kenny, I would if I could but I m the only guy in North West Tasmania on one of these things! People come out of the trees and stare at me while
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9, 2003
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "fernmanus" <fernmanus@y...>
          wrote:
          > Sam,
          > If you ride in a place where you can watch other riders, watch what
          > the more successful riders do and talk to them>

          Thanks Kenny, I would if I could but I'm the only guy in North West
          Tasmania on one of these things! People come out of the trees and
          stare at me while hords of kids come running up the beach
          yelling "Mr, WHAT'S THAT!!!" I reply "it's an incredibly dangerous
          kite, if you ever see it coming towards you run for your LIFE!" They
          usually scream and start running away, thank the kitesurfing God's
          for that!
          I've been out several times since and I feel that I've been pushing
          too hard on my back leg when I've been moving into a wave, sort of
          trying to get the front up. I think I've also been turning the kite
          up, an instinct if somethings coming towards you, which lifts me up,
          flattens out the baord and thus I go scooting. It is hard though, if
          your hanging you arse too low the wave will bite it, too high and
          keeping the edge is difficult.
          The amount of things going on is amazing and every time I go out I
          learn something new, it's fantastic.
          I got air just yesterday as I edged hard into a wave, what a buzz,
          airtime is going to be a whole new thing!
          Aint life great!
          Cheers,
          Sam.
        • Kite Power (Sydney)
          I love your anti kids ploy!!! Will definately try it out!! :-))) I think your main problem will be the board is a bit big, and you are most likely flying the
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 10, 2003
          • 0 Attachment
            I love your anti kids ploy!!! Will definately try it out!! :-)))
            I think your main problem will be the board is a bit big, and you are most likely flying the kite too high, so when a gust hits or you drop off the back of a wave, you lose your edge.
            Try edging the kite lower and lower towards the water, and really putting a lot of pressure on your rear foot, and point high into the wind. It is important to control your speed, keep it lowish and steady.
            You will notice your kite surges forward of you when you are doing this technique correctly, and you lose speed too.
            And be patient with yourself too, sounds like you are doing really well for the amount of time you have been at it.
            Cya and
            Goodwinds
            Steve McCormack
            http://www.kitepower.com.au

            ----- Original Message -----
            From: Sam Morgan
            To: ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com
            Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2003 8:54 AM
            Subject: [ksurfschool] Re: I Keep loosing my edge...


            --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "fernmanus" <fernmanus@y...>
            wrote:
            > Sam,
            > If you ride in a place where you can watch other riders, watch what
            > the more successful riders do and talk to them>

            Thanks Kenny, I would if I could but I'm the only guy in North West
            Tasmania on one of these things! People come out of the trees and
            stare at me while hords of kids come running up the beach
            yelling "Mr, WHAT'S THAT!!!" I reply "it's an incredibly dangerous
            kite, if you ever see it coming towards you run for your LIFE!" They
            usually scream and start running away, thank the kitesurfing God's
            for that!
            I've been out several times since and I feel that I've been pushing
            too hard on my back leg when I've been moving into a wave, sort of
            trying to get the front up. I think I've also been turning the kite
            up, an instinct if somethings coming towards you, which lifts me up,
            flattens out the baord and thus I go scooting. It is hard though, if
            your hanging you arse too low the wave will bite it, too high and
            keeping the edge is difficult.
            The amount of things going on is amazing and every time I go out I
            learn something new, it's fantastic.
            I got air just yesterday as I edged hard into a wave, what a buzz,
            airtime is going to be a whole new thing!
            Aint life great!
            Cheers,
            Sam.


            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            ADVERTISEMENT




            If you are new to kitesurfing, please visit
            http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm for the answers
            to the most frequently asked questions.

            To unsubscribe, please send an email to ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com
            To subscribe, please send an email to ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com


            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.