I Keep loosing my edge...

  • Sam Morgan
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2003
      I ride a 16m2 Rhino on a switch 180 twin tip and I'm a fat 100kg.
      I've been finding that when the wind picks up 16-18knots the board
      will flatten out and slip straight out from under me. I ride in a bit
      of a swell, can't be helped, and when I go down a wave, or back of
      one, the lines will pull me over the board too, and or cause the
      above problem.
      I guess I just have to edge harder and allow for the swell, but can
      anyone tell me if it's something a bit simpler? It's really beggining
      to cause me pain, esp when my balls collide with the board!
      -Live harder, die sideways.
    • George Sarris
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2003
        Sam,
        I'm not an experienced kiteboarder but I would try a
        smaller board, 150 or 160, and/or wear a cup.

        Cheers,
        Jake
        --- Sam Morgan <nippleteam@...> wrote:
        > I ride a 16m2 Rhino on a switch 180 twin tip and I'm
        > a fat 100kg.
        > I've been finding that when the wind picks up
        > 16-18knots the board
        > will flatten out and slip straight out from under
        > me. I ride in a bit
        > of a swell, can't be helped, and when I go down a
        > wave, or back of
        > one, the lines will pull me over the board too, and
        > or cause the
        > above problem.
        > I guess I just have to edge harder and allow for the
        > swell, but can
        > anyone tell me if it's something a bit simpler? It's
        > really beggining
        > to cause me pain, esp when my balls collide with the
        > board!
        > -Live harder, die sideways.

        http://tax.yahoo.com
      • fernmanus
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 7, 2003
          Sam,

          A smaller board probably won't help you in the swell. I find that a
          smaller board helps you edge better in flat water, but in swell you
          will find yourself skipping over the water and nosing the tip in a
          lot more often than you would on a larger board. You will want to
          get a smaller board for jumping, but I would wait until you are more
          experienced. However, I agree with Jake about the cup idea and wear
          a helmet as well.

          If you are getting pulled over your edge you are A. Seriously
          overpowered or B. Not edging hard enough. If you want to keep
          riding during a serious wind acceleration, you are going to have to
          edge very hard to avoid going downwind. Experienced riders will
          often use the power to tack upwind in one direction and then go
          downwind the other direction doing stuff like jumping or riding a
          wave.

          If you ride in a place where you can watch other riders, watch what
          the more successful riders do and talk to them. Strategies vary by
          location according to the size of swell, wind conditions, etc. I
          know that you probably want to spend every minute on the water, but
          the next time you are getting slammed go into shore and watch to see
          how the other riders are handling the conditions.

          I am not familiar with the Rhino, so I don't know how much depower
          range is available. You may want to add additional depower range by
          having a longer strap to pull in during gusts.

          It is more difficult riding in swell than flat water, so if you ever
          get the opportunity, go someplace like Hatteras or S. Padre Island
          and try some flat water riding. You will immediately feel like an
          expert after battling pounding surf and huge swell.

          Kenny

          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, George Sarris
          <jakefarley2000@y...> wrote:
          > Sam,
          > I'm not an experienced kiteboarder but I would try a
          > smaller board, 150 or 160, and/or wear a cup.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Jake
          > --- Sam Morgan <nippleteam@y...> wrote:
          > > I ride a 16m2 Rhino on a switch 180 twin tip and I'm
          > > a fat 100kg.
          > > I've been finding that when the wind picks up
          > > 16-18knots the board
          > > will flatten out and slip straight out from under
          > > me. I ride in a bit
          > > of a swell, can't be helped, and when I go down a
          > > wave, or back of
          > > one, the lines will pull me over the board too, and
          > > or cause the
          > > above problem.
          > > I guess I just have to edge harder and allow for the
          > > swell, but can
          > > anyone tell me if it's something a bit simpler? It's
          > > really beggining
          > > to cause me pain, esp when my balls collide with the
          > > board!
          > > -Live harder, die sideways.

          > http://tax.yahoo.com
        • fernmanus
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 9, 2003
            Sam,

            One other thought comes to mind. Try using longer fins on the
            heelside edge of your board. This will make jibing a little
            tougher, but will help you hold an edge in the swell.

            Kenny

            --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Sam Morgan" <nippleteam@y...>
            wrote:
            > I ride a 16m2 Rhino on a switch 180 twin tip and I'm a fat 100kg.
            > I've been finding that when the wind picks up 16-18knots the board
            > will flatten out and slip straight out from under me. I ride in a
            bit
            > of a swell, can't be helped, and when I go down a wave, or back of
            > one, the lines will pull me over the board too, and or cause the
            > above problem.
            > I guess I just have to edge harder and allow for the swell, but
            can
            > anyone tell me if it's something a bit simpler? It's really
            beggining
            > to cause me pain, esp when my balls collide with the board!
            > -Live harder, die sideways.
          • Sam Morgan
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 9, 2003
              --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "fernmanus" <fernmanus@y...>
              wrote:
              > Sam,
              > If you ride in a place where you can watch other riders, watch what
              > the more successful riders do and talk to them>

              Thanks Kenny, I would if I could but I'm the only guy in North West
              Tasmania on one of these things! People come out of the trees and
              stare at me while hords of kids come running up the beach
              yelling "Mr, WHAT'S THAT!!!" I reply "it's an incredibly dangerous
              kite, if you ever see it coming towards you run for your LIFE!" They
              usually scream and start running away, thank the kitesurfing God's
              for that!
              I've been out several times since and I feel that I've been pushing
              too hard on my back leg when I've been moving into a wave, sort of
              trying to get the front up. I think I've also been turning the kite
              up, an instinct if somethings coming towards you, which lifts me up,
              flattens out the baord and thus I go scooting. It is hard though, if
              your hanging you arse too low the wave will bite it, too high and
              keeping the edge is difficult.
              The amount of things going on is amazing and every time I go out I
              learn something new, it's fantastic.
              I got air just yesterday as I edged hard into a wave, what a buzz,
              airtime is going to be a whole new thing!
              Aint life great!
              Cheers,
              Sam.
            • Kite Power (Sydney)
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 10, 2003
                I love your anti kids ploy!!! Will definately try it out!! :-)))
                I think your main problem will be the board is a bit big, and you are most likely flying the kite too high, so when a gust hits or you drop off the back of a wave, you lose your edge.
                Try edging the kite lower and lower towards the water, and really putting a lot of pressure on your rear foot, and point high into the wind. It is important to control your speed, keep it lowish and steady.
                You will notice your kite surges forward of you when you are doing this technique correctly, and you lose speed too.
                And be patient with yourself too, sounds like you are doing really well for the amount of time you have been at it.
                http://www.kitepower.com.au