Kite Size Comparison

  • George Sarris
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2003
      I am confused about the sizes of kites, specifically
      the Cabrinha kites where they list the two different
      parameters (12m/16m, etc.). I think some of the other
      kite manufacturers do the same, so how does one
      compare the kites? I'm looking for light wind kites
      and I have a Cabrinha BT 15.5/21.5. I want to obtain
      a larger kite (if there is one for light winds) and a
      smaller kite. I weight 220lbs. and have two floaty
      directionals. I also have a Wipika 8.5 LTR for the
      20kt. days. Any information will be greatly
      appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Jake

      http://tax.yahoo.com
    • Kite Power (Sydney)
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2003
        Hi Jake,
        A quick insight to kite size comparisons...
        I am unsure whether you understand the difference between projected and flat area sizing. Projected area is the effective sail area while the kite is flying, which is smaller than the flat area - the kite is laid out (deflated) on the ground.

        In general 12m projected is equivalent to 16m flat. (Most manufacturers label their kites with the flat sizing) This now includes Cabrinha.

        Few people fly kites larger than 16m flat - those that do find the 18m & 20m flat sizes pull like Mac Trucks. For a 80-100kg person the wind range for an 18m would be between 12 - 18kts and 10 - 16kts for the 20m.

        The wind range varies depending on the board you use, as it is possible to hold down more power with a smaller board.

        With your big floaty directional boards, you may be able to bring down the low-end of the wind range. However at the high-end of the wind range, there are issues about holding the rail low enough in the water to allow appropriate kite loading prior to jumps.

        Cheers
        Tim
        kitepower.com.au
        9529 6894
        302 The Grand Pde
        Sans Souci 2219

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2003
          Thanks for the info. This makes sense. So when a
          manufacturer says a kite is 16m, that is the flat
          area.
          This helps alot.

          Thanks again.
          --- "Kite Power (Sydney)" <sydney@...>