RE: [ksurfschool] Digest Number 827

  • Andre Myburgh
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2003
      > It was a Canadian, Cory Roeseler?

      I don't believe everything I read on the net (and also thought Cory was
      first - still remember following his kite development site years ago, but
      read this:

      http://www.gwa.gr/gwa/modules.php?name=kitesurf

      The history of kiteboard started in the 70s, when a few people where seen on
      water skis, being pulled by traction kites. Gilbertus Panhuise used it with
      a windsurf board and obtained the patent for the concept in 1977. During the
      80s, Andreas Kuhn is seen on television on a wakeboard, dragged by a
      25-meter paraglide. In 1984, Dominique and Bruno Legaignoux obtain the
      patent for kites that are relaunchable from the water. The kites are
      immediately tested on boards and water skis. At the end of the 80s, Cory
      Roeseler develops the "KiteSki", with a kind of kite rigged on a bar with a
      breaking system. He obtains the patent in 1992.