Re: Thinking about starting kite surfing

  • marko92109
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 19 9:40 AM
      I totally agree,
      take lessons and have the instructor tell you what kite/board is
      right for you and your conditions.

      For bindings you for sure want to startout with footstraps,
      and I would recommend to use a bigger twintip rather than a
      directional.

      Thanks

      Marko

      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, George Sarris

    • Kite Power (Sydney)
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 19 4:35 PM
        Illya,
        There are many different types of people doing this sport, don't let your physical stature put you off - take advantage of it!

        You should learn on small size kites first - to understand the flight principles, eg the wind window, neutral zone, power zone etc. You should get your hands on an instructional video ("How To Rip" is a good one) watch it until you can recite the words in your sleep.

        Once your skills are up to scratch you will need more than one kite to get the most out of the sport... start with a 12m or 14m then move up to a 16, 18m or 20m kite. Your weight will make it more expensive as you will need larger size kites - which cost more.(Flexifoil Storms are a good beginner kite)

        Your lines should be approx 30m, 25 - 40m is OK. When you are first learning you can practice with shorter lines (10 - 15m) you can just fold your 30m lines in half to do this.

        Your board. I would recommend a 157 Underground Wave Tray - This board will last a long time, you won't grow out of it and can work as either a top beginner board or dynamic intermediate to advanced board for your size. They retail for around $1300.00 Otherwise any board between 155 & 170cm should work well for you.

        Bindings, definately use footstraps(NSI non adjustables). Your feet must be able to come out freely - especially when learning or riding in surf. If you decide to go for full bindings, the worst thing that can happen is you loose your nuts or gash yourself. As one foot comes out the other might stay in - disaster!

        http://www.kitepower.com.au