RE: [ksurfschool] Thinking about starting kite surfing

  • Andre Myburgh
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 18, 2003
      > Subject: Thinking about starting kite surfing
      > 135 kilos 6ft4 not fat but not a toothpick either Are there
      > many big blokes that do this sport ?

      Yes, lots.

      > Am I too large for a
      > kite if not what would I need to have fun on
      > and make it an easyer learning experience

      Just get a bigger board & kite.

      > What would be the best kite to learn on ?

      Flying basics - any small kite (<9m2) in light wind (<12knots), go for a
      lesson and use the school's kites.
      Then get the biggest kite you can find (around 18m2 inflatable or 15m2
      foil). I say this because you weigh double the 'average 75kg rider' and a
      size 12 is what most guys start on in winds 12 - 20knots, so that's
      12*135/75 = 20. From what I heard, the North Rhino and Torro are good kites
      with lots of power, so maybe shop around for a second hand 16/18 2002 model
      (or buy a new 2003 one depending on your budget). Could also shop around for
      an Arc.

      > What size/type board should I go for

      At your weight, go for the biggest TT/directional you can find. You can
      learn on that and keep it as your light wind board. Then buy a fancy
      TT/Tray/wake/mutant/ when you feel like holding more wind

      > And what kind/type of bindings ?

      Go for straps to learn
    • marko92109
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 19, 2003
        I totally agree,
        take lessons and have the instructor tell you what kite/board is
        right for you and your conditions.

        For bindings you for sure want to startout with footstraps,
        and I would recommend to use a bigger twintip rather than a
        directional.

        Thanks

        Marko

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, George Sarris

      • Kite Power (Sydney)
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 19, 2003
          Illya,
          There are many different types of people doing this sport, don't let your physical stature put you off - take advantage of it!

          You should learn on small size kites first - to understand the flight principles, eg the wind window, neutral zone, power zone etc. You should get your hands on an instructional video ("How To Rip" is a good one) watch it until you can recite the words in your sleep.

          Once your skills are up to scratch you will need more than one kite to get the most out of the sport... start with a 12m or 14m then move up to a 16, 18m or 20m kite. Your weight will make it more expensive as you will need larger size kites - which cost more.(Flexifoil Storms are a good beginner kite)

          Your lines should be approx 30m, 25 - 40m is OK. When you are first learning you can practice with shorter lines (10 - 15m) you can just fold your 30m lines in half to do this.

          Your board. I would recommend a 157 Underground Wave Tray - This board will last a long time, you won't grow out of it and can work as either a top beginner board or dynamic intermediate to advanced board for your size. They retail for around $1300.00 Otherwise any board between 155 & 170cm should work well for you.

          Bindings, definately use footstraps(NSI non adjustables). Your feet must be able to come out freely - especially when learning or riding in surf. If you decide to go for full bindings, the worst thing that can happen is you loose your nuts or gash yourself. As one foot comes out the other might stay in - disaster!

          http://www.kitepower.com.au