Re: [ksurfschool] Thinking about starting kite surfing

  • George Sarris
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 18, 2003
      Illya,
      In my humble opinion, there are no limits to what
      anyone can do as long as they are physically able.

      First off, I would find an instructor and take some
      lessons. This will accelerate your learning curve,
      make your first experience less frustrating and most
      importantly safe. If you have monitored the e-mail
      from this group, you will find that safety is
      paramount, for yourself and others. When you harness
      the wind, you have to respect its power.

      Afterwards, your instructor should be able to help you
      find the right gear depending on the conditions that
      you will most likely experience in your area. If the
      winds are light you'll need a fairly large kite
      (16-22m), large board(2 meters plus) with long (30m)
      lines. The higher the wind, the smaller the kite and
      board.

      Take my advice, don't try to learn on your own.
      You'll have much more safe fun if you take a lesson.

      Cheers,
      "Jake"

      --- illya <shmeared@...> wrote:

      > I got a few questions if any of you cant be kind
      > enough to answer
      > Lately I have been down the beach at stkilder
      > Melbourne Australia
      > The other day I seen 40 kites there at one time what
      > an awesome site
      > Ok so my questions are
      > Im a heavy bloke 135 kilos 6ft4 not fat but not a
      > toothpick either
      > Are there many big blokes that do this sport ?
      > Am I too large for a kite if not what would I need
      > to have fun on
      > and make it an easyer learning experience
      > What would be the best kite to learn on ?
      > What size kite ?
      > How long should the lines be?
      > What size/type board should I go for
      > And what kind/type of bindings ?
      >
      > Im into remote control planes slope soaring and
      > yachts also so
      > I have a good understanding of wind
      > I also ride motocross have rather good coordination
      > And fast reflexes
      > Witch might just help me out when it comes time to
      > be dragged around the
      > ground/water by a kite
      > He he
      >
      > Any help would be appreciated
      > Illya O'Shea

      http://platinum.yahoo.com
    • Andre Myburgh
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 18, 2003
        > Subject: Thinking about starting kite surfing
        > 135 kilos 6ft4 not fat but not a toothpick either Are there
        > many big blokes that do this sport ?

        Yes, lots.

        > Am I too large for a
        > kite if not what would I need to have fun on
        > and make it an easyer learning experience

        Just get a bigger board & kite.

        > What would be the best kite to learn on ?

        Flying basics - any small kite (<9m2) in light wind (<12knots), go for a
        lesson and use the school's kites.
        Then get the biggest kite you can find (around 18m2 inflatable or 15m2
        foil). I say this because you weigh double the 'average 75kg rider' and a
        size 12 is what most guys start on in winds 12 - 20knots, so that's
        12*135/75 = 20. From what I heard, the North Rhino and Torro are good kites
        with lots of power, so maybe shop around for a second hand 16/18 2002 model
        (or buy a new 2003 one depending on your budget). Could also shop around for
        an Arc.

        > What size/type board should I go for

        At your weight, go for the biggest TT/directional you can find. You can
        learn on that and keep it as your light wind board. Then buy a fancy
        TT/Tray/wake/mutant/ when you feel like holding more wind

        > And what kind/type of bindings ?

        Go for straps to learn
      • marko92109
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 19, 2003
          I totally agree,
          take lessons and have the instructor tell you what kite/board is
          right for you and your conditions.

          For bindings you for sure want to startout with footstraps,
          and I would recommend to use a bigger twintip rather than a
          directional.

          Thanks

          Marko

          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, George Sarris

        • Kite Power (Sydney)
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 19, 2003
            Illya,
            There are many different types of people doing this sport, don't let your physical stature put you off - take advantage of it!

            You should learn on small size kites first - to understand the flight principles, eg the wind window, neutral zone, power zone etc. You should get your hands on an instructional video ("How To Rip" is a good one) watch it until you can recite the words in your sleep.

            Once your skills are up to scratch you will need more than one kite to get the most out of the sport... start with a 12m or 14m then move up to a 16, 18m or 20m kite. Your weight will make it more expensive as you will need larger size kites - which cost more.(Flexifoil Storms are a good beginner kite)

            Your lines should be approx 30m, 25 - 40m is OK. When you are first learning you can practice with shorter lines (10 - 15m) you can just fold your 30m lines in half to do this.

            Your board. I would recommend a 157 Underground Wave Tray - This board will last a long time, you won't grow out of it and can work as either a top beginner board or dynamic intermediate to advanced board for your size. They retail for around $1300.00 Otherwise any board between 155 & 170cm should work well for you.

            Bindings, definately use footstraps(NSI non adjustables). Your feet must be able to come out freely - especially when learning or riding in surf. If you decide to go for full bindings, the worst thing that can happen is you loose your nuts or gash yourself. As one foot comes out the other might stay in - disaster!

            http://www.kitepower.com.au