Surfboard as a kiteboard?

  • waynehkd
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 9, 2003
      Hi,

      I am wanting to get into kiteboarding on a poor mans budget. I have
      seen a couple of websites saying that it is possible to convert an
      old surfboard into a kiteboard by putting footstraps on the board.
      Has anyone tried this and does it work good enough to have fun? If
      you just screw the footstraps on will it allow the board to get water
      logged?

      I am 6'5" 220lbs. I will probaly using equipment in light wind and
      flat water. If anyone has any suggestions on what type of equipment I
      would need to look at it would greatly be appreciated. I have read
      enough to realize I will probaly need a big kite but hate to spend
      $1000 dollars before I know if it is going to be what I want to get
      into.I am not looking into going pro or getting big air but I would
      like to spend some time on the water. Thanks

      Scott
    • inlandc
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 10, 2003
        Scott,

        There is a difference between what will "work" and what will work well.
        It is possible to put straps on a surf board and sue it as a kite board to
        get your feet wet, but there another alternative!
        Since many kite companies built a lot of directional boards over the past
        few years and since most kite surfers are ridding on twin tips. this leaves
        a lot of "overstock" on directional boards that you can have for a song/
        These work much better and in some cases will cost only a few bucks more
        than the foot straps you would need to convert your surfboard.

        There are also some very good deals to be had on last years kites.
        Feel free to email me directly or give me a call and we can discuss you
        needs.

        Philip

        Philip Mann
        Inland Sea Windsurf Co
        Kitesite.net
        http://www.inlandsea.com
        http://www.kitesite.net
        888-465-2632
        802-862-3847

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 11, 2003
          > I am 6'5" 220lbs. I will probaly using equipment in light
          > wind and flat water.

          Hi big boy

          Yes it's definitely possible to convert a surfboard. I've done two
          surfboards (a 6'ft and 9ft longboard). Chop up some glassfibre (with
          scissors), mix with polyester resin, push into over-sized holes drilled into
          the board (front foot slightly infront of centre, back foot 1 - 2' from
          back). Redrill the 'plugs' for a self-tapping screw (stainless or copper).
          Either make your own straps (seatbelt webbing with neoprene wetsuit stuck on
          the inside) or swipe some off a budies windsurfer.

          Me and 2 friends got up riding on the first try with the 6ft board and a
          Nasawing kite I made (the whole kit cost around $60). 6 months later still
          could not do the same on a fancy twintip and inflatable kite ;-)

          If you just want to cruise, a surfboard is fine (jumping with your weight
          could break it). Also, if the winds are light in your area, consider going
          for a big, floaty board. I still go out on light-wind days on a 9ft
          longboard (no staps).

          But, like others say, if you can find an old directional that fits your
          budget, why not?

          Cheers

          André