Re: Jump Timing

  • Karine <karinefr2000@yahoo.fr>
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
      Steve, Philip and Hung-

      Thanks for the advice.
      As you said, nothing replaces practice. I can't wait to go out again,
      but this winter has been really cold here.

      Thanks
      -marc
      --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Kite Power \(Sydney\)"
      <sydney@k...> wrote:
      > Do it as soon as you leave the water, practice it on smallish
      jumps, land with the board pointing towards the kite slightly on
      smaller jumps, to fully pointing at the kite when landing a big one.
      > On bigger jumps, say over 3M, other things can happen that affect
      your timing, like getting a second gust while in the air, which will
      extend your glide and hang time time, sometimes this is so great that
      the kite will have to be flown with great sensitivity, and will
      actually be flown from side to side up to several times.

      > Remember as soon as you lift off the water, the wind window the
      kite was flying in changes, and becomes smaller and downwind of you,
      the window gets tiny if you do a biggish jump where you start to be
      moving at close to the wind speed, this is why you must get the kite
      back down in front of you and land pointing towards it, otherwise the
      kite has no power and you plonk or sink on landing.

      > Nothing and no-one can teach you this, other than time spent under
      a kite, the power and flight characterisitics, available to your kite
      in each and every part of the wind window has to become second nature.

      > Cya and Goodwinds,
      > Steve McCormack
      > 302 The Grand Pde
      > Sans Souci, NSW