Jump Timing

  • Karine <karinefr2000@yahoo.fr>
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
      Guys-

      At what time do you send the kite back in the forward direction when
      you jump? It seems that I probably wait too long to do that and so I
      tend to have trouble with the landing of the jumps.
      Any recommendations?

      Thanks

      -Marc
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
        "Karine " wrote:
        > you jump? It seems that I probably wait too long to do that and so I
        > tend to have trouble with the landing of the jumps.

        For troubles with the landing, there may be other factors besides
        failing to move the kite forward soon enough, check
        http://www.kitesurfingschool.org/landing.htm

        Hung.
      • Kite Power (Sydney)
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
          Do it as soon as you leave the water, practice it on smallish jumps, land with the board pointing towards the kite slightly on smaller jumps, to fully pointing at the kite when landing a big one.
          On bigger jumps, say over 3M, other things can happen that affect your timing, like getting a second gust while in the air, which will extend your glide and hang time time, sometimes this is so great that the kite will have to be flown with great sensitivity, and will actually be flown from side to side up to several times.

          Remember as soon as you lift off the water, the wind window the kite was flying in changes, and becomes smaller and downwind of you, the window gets tiny if you do a biggish jump where you start to be moving at close to the wind speed, this is why you must get the kite back down in front of you and land pointing towards it, otherwise the kite has no power and you plonk or sink on landing.

          Nothing and no-one can teach you this, other than time spent under a kite, the power and flight characterisitics, available to your kite in each and every part of the wind window has to become second nature.

          Cya and Goodwinds,
          Steve McCormack
          302 The Grand Pde
          Sans Souci, NSW
          Tel: (02) 9529 6894
          http://www.kitepower.com.au
          Also at Geelong at Kitepower

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
            Marc,

            It depends on how fast you are going, how powered up you are and how
            much you load up for a jump.
            My recommendation would be to send the kite back while loading up on the
            rail of the board, as soon as or just before you take off straighten out
            the bar and start pulling on your front hand to bring the kite back in
            front of you.
            The timing takes a while to become somewhat subconscious, Jest keep
            jumping and it will become second nature.

            Philip

            Philip Mann
            Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
            http://www.inlandsea.com
            Kitesite.net
            http://www.kitesite.net
            toll free 888-465-2632

            At what time do you send the kite back in the forward direction when
            you jump? It seems that I probably wait too long to do that and so I
            tend to have trouble with the landing of the jumps.
            Any recommendations?

            Thanks

            -Marc

            To unsubscribe, please send an email to
            ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Karine <karinefr2000@yahoo.fr>
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
              Steve, Philip and Hung-

              Thanks for the advice.
              As you said, nothing replaces practice. I can't wait to go out again,
              but this winter has been really cold here.

              Thanks
              -marc
              --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "Kite Power \(Sydney\)"

              Service.