Bladder repair glue?

  • quixand_123 <quixand@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 22, 2003
      Greetings all...

      After a rather nasty incident involving very sharp grass, I find
      myself with multiple (11+) small punctures in my Leading edge.
      I have the bladder repair kit with 6 patches and a tube of glue. The
      patches are self-adhesive, so what's the glue for?

      Can the glue be used by itself - it appears there are some repairs
      already on the bladder (2nd hand) which are glue only. If so - how
      etc? Haven't had much luck finding details on this.

      Cheers,
      Adam
    • hungvuatnetcomdotca <hungvu@netcom.ca>
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 23, 2003
        For a small hole, just put a drop of glue on top of the hole.

        Hung.

        --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "quixand_123 <quixand@h...>"

      • Remtgnow@AOL.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 24, 2003
          should that drop of glue be applied with the
          bladder somewhat inflated?
          Phil B

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 24, 2003
            I normally drop the glue on non-inflated bladder. You may want to try
            the partially inflated method and let us know.

            Hung.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 27, 2003
              For the record, I did my repairs with the bladder deflated, because i
              was worried about the air popping through the holes.

              An interesting side note though - I had two "identical" tubes of
              glue, both from a Naish repair kit. The first tube was very thick
              glue and seemed to have a lot of air in the tube for some reason.
              Having never used the stuff before I thought this would be fine.

              After applying the glue I let it dry for about 24 hours and checked
              the repairs. All of the edges had lifted, and the glue was a definite
              milky colour and quite hard/inflexible. First inflation popped off
              five of the repairs, the rest suicided shortly after.

              The second tube was much better, seemingly full of glue, and applies
              very smoothly. When it dries it is almost impossible to detect
              (except for the big black texta markers around the hole of course!).

              Possibly a bad batch of glue??

              Adam

              PS I also found the glue seems to stick better if you gently rough
              the surface as if you were going to use a patch....

              Oh yeah, 22 punctures. Keep away from that prickly grass eh?