Help please!

  • icantfindanickno1use <lshachar@hotmail.c
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2003
      Hey There!
      i've been flying an f-one shadow 7.5 mr kite, until I got sick of it
      (well it can't be it's all my fault not being to go upwind for a
      year!) then I tried a naish 12 aero and few others and could go
      upwind easily. I'm having deep thoughts about the subject ever since.
      Is a foil with a higher a.r would act more stable then the
      shadow - and thus won't give me hard pulls like it used to, or is it
      because of all the unused skin with the inflatables they fly less
      aggressively? - Should I change to inflatables? (kitesurfing that is)
      Depowering a kite is crucial. I know few technics to depower a
      foil, mostly because thinking about the subject for well over then
      two years (!). have anyone tried the following system? how good is it?
      http://www.boom-kites.com/speedsys/speedaddon.htm

      (cr%$#p one mistaken press of the escape key all the whole last
      paragraph got deleted)

      There are lots of sites dealing with making foil kites. not much
      dealing with making inflatables. I've been thinking about finding a
      plan for a 12 mr 5.5 ar wing, that I could easily just print and give
      to some workshop. can anyone address me to such a site?
      I have found the Dribbler. had anyone tried it? can somebody give me
      a compare to a commercial kite?

      Thanks a whole lot for any help!
    • Mark Pronk
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 9, 2003
        Hey there...

        Goin upwind with the shadow should be possible, but since the kite's not as
        high performance as the Aero, since it's quite an old design, it won't win
        in the goin-upwind competition.. It's a matter of experience flying the foil
        too.

        The BOOM speedsystem is quite good so i heard, it's brand new and able to
        change AoA instead of breaking the kite.

        Tip for building kites (foils and inflato's): go to
        http://www.homepages.hetnet.nl/~heik/ for a downloadable plan of an AR5 like
        tube.

        Good luck there dude!

        mARC

        Have fun kiting, whatever you fly!
        http://www.foils.nl

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2003
          Thanks for replying.

          I've been trying my depower system that changes the a.o.a on the fly.
          It has depowerd the kite although made it luff and stuff like that :(
          I could easily solve those problems, It's only the bridle lines that
          are pretty messed up. anyhow I've decided that the shadow is too fast
          for kitesurfing: know the feeling when the kite does not fly ahead,
          instead it stalls until you pull one side, Then it starts to go
          forward (to where you pulled it I mean) and you can then steer it -
          With the option to increase a.o.a the kite goes from zero to full
          speed and gives tons of power and the depower is not enough to kill
          the pull. Because of lacking time to build a kite (struggling to buy
          me some time to surf) I'm going to buy a commercial one. Yes, this is
          the end for this foil lover.

          Service.