Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

RE: [ksurfschool] Small Kite Mare

Expand Messages
  • Philip
    It is possible that the third line was too long and therefore did not depower the kite completely and thus put a lot of load on the leash line which led to the
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 23, 2002
      It is possible that the third line was too long and therefore did not
      depower the kite completely and thus put a lot of load on the leash line
      which led to the failure of the knot. The third line should be loose
      enough as to allow the kite to fly without a minimal amount of tension
      on the tailing edge of the kite, but should also be tight enough to
      immediately put all the load on the "d" or rear bridles as soon as you
      release the bar/
      The Third line in my experience should be a relatively consistent
      "sliver moon" shape from the bar to the kite.
      You should be able to grab the leader from the bar to the center line
      and fully brake the kite without letting go of the bar

      Be careful and Have Fun./


      Philip Mann
      Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
      toll free 888-465-2632

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Alger, David [mailto:DAlger@...]
      Sent: Monday, December 23, 2002 9:40 AM
      To: kiteskiing@yahoogroups.com; 'ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com'
      Subject: [ksurfschool] Small Kite Mare

      I flew 8.9 surface area inflatables last summer, got up once briefly.
      Bought a 4 meter F-One foil to play in the snow.

      Wind 5-15 at my field, nearest sensor in Boston harbor showing 10-30
      for a brief period. Had to wait a few minutes for wind to launch, so I
      thought no big deal. I launched, and ran downwind a bit, then the kite
      stabilized overhead. Thought of Rick Iossi and don't park overhead,
      when my little 4 meter lofted me about three feet. I was about to let
      go when I was set back down, but hadn't anticipated the forward motion
      so I fell over. Held onto the bar to gage the power. Decided to bag
      this one and let the bar go. Felt the tension increase on the third line
      wrist strap, and then snap! and my beautiful kite floated away, the bar
      holding the kite full. The bar landed in a phone pole about 500 feet
      away. The lines were over trees and luckily the kite deflated.

      I ran over to secure the kite and removed the lines. Then I had to wait
      10 minutes for the wind to die sufficiently to get the lines floating
      above me. After learning how the bar was held on the pole I was lucky
      enough to be able to work the lines and drop it to the ground and
      recover the lines from over the trees. I was lucky to get it all back
      without a cherry picker and police log.

      What went wrong: After calming down, I figured out what happened. The
      third line was larksheaded to a strap at the center of the bar, and the
      wrist leash was tied to it about two feet up. The knot from the leash
      had failed. My other foil also came with this arrangement. The theory
      is that the 4 feet (2 feet to the leash line and two feet back to the
      wrist strap) would deflate the kite. I wonder. I now have the third
      line larksheaded to the wrist strap. I'm leery of attaching it to the
      bar. I realize this may cause the bar to float dangerously, but I want
      the depower leash to work! What do you think?

      If you are new to kitesurfing, please visit
      http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm for the answers
      to the most frequently asked questions.

      To unsubscribe, please send an email to
      To subscribe, please send an email to ksurfschool-subscribe@egroups.com

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.