[ksurfschool] Re: Kite size?

  • Dave Raue
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 12, 2000
      > What do you mean, too cold for water sports...I was out windsurfing
      > yesterday in North Wales....I've had to break the ice to go wondsurfing in
      > lakes before now!!!

      Probably I'd be out there too, truth be told - but I'm too busy gearing up
      for massive experimentation at Cabarete. Can't wait!

      --- snip
      > using it as a traction engine for a mountain board on the sands. I'm
      hoping
      > that the skills learnt doing this will be transferrable to
      > kite-surfing...Has anyone else here used mountain boards as a learning or
      > practice platform for kite-surfing??...How transferrable are the skills?

      Not sure, but my guess would be VERY transferable. One big difference
      though - I assume that you don't want to be overpowered on a mountain board.
      I was coming from buggying and one of my biggest learning blocks with
      kitesurfing was getting comfortable with the power that you need. There
      are some mountainboarders on the kitesurf list I think.

      > Also,...Line Lengths. I've noticed that kite-surfers tend to use much
      > longer (30-40m) lines than people use in other kite traction activities
      > (20-30m)...How much difference do longer lines actually make? i.e. My
      > Predator 2.8m produces enough power for me at the moment in 15kts of wind
      > with 75ft lines. If I used 100ft lines in 10kts, would it produce a
      similar
      > amount of power???

      It might, but you need to use the length to sweep around more to generate
      the power. Lines make a big difference, tho I can't make precise
      comparisons like x' lines on y kite in z wind = whatever. For kitesurfing
      longer lines allow you to stay in the power zone correspondingly longer.
      Also slows things down, so it can be easier to control a small kite. At
      some point you get to diminishing returns with increased drag and hassle.
      Also, kitesurfing doesn't need the fine, precise control that you want on
      land, you basically just want to rip. On land you also need to think about
      things like power lines and other objects, so shorter is more practical.
      Over water that's less of an issue.

      Dave