Starting out

  • hamishhopkins <hamishhopkins@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2002
      Hi there, any advice would be great.
      I'm interested in getting started in the sport. I live in South-
      western ontario (London) - so near the lakes, etc.. Basically, any
      info regarding first kite to buy, one that should be able to get me
      through the basics on land as well as take me to kitesurfing. I
      understand that the type of equipment is dependent on many factors.
      I am aprox. 6'1", 180lbs, 24yrs old, always into sports (skiing, ww
      kayaking,
      etc..) Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
      thanks
      Hamish.
    • Kite Geek
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 20, 2002
        Hi,

        First welcome to the sport of kites. Welcome to the group.

        While I am not sure of what your first kite should be but start smaller as to get used to the steering and start with a quad line design. Much more control.

        The best thing I can tell you as find someone to teach you this sport. The little cost for the lessons even with your sports background could end up saving your life or others around you. I know this sounds like a parent saying be careful now. But, any new sport no matter your past skill is still new, and while some thing will seem old hat, the new things will not. Think about lessons then find that first kite, in the long run you will be a far better kiter and get far more enjoyment much sooner out of the sport.

        Kite surfing is like taking snowboarding, water skiing, windsurfing, sailing, gymnastics, and some other skilled sports and squish them into one thing. Kick up the speed and power factor add some hieght you have kite surfing.

        I ask any instructors in the area of this soon to be power kite pilot get in touch and start him off in the right direction.

        By the way good luck, and welcome.

        The Kite Geek,

        Supports the idea that lessons learned may save your life.

        Do something. Go fly a kite.
        We need your help with the Kites on TV Project
        http://www.KiteStop.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 21, 2002
          Hamish

          There are usually a few kiters out on Pushlinch lake just west of
          cambridge ont.(1hr east of London) most weekends noon til 5 pm kite
          skiing in the winter. I'm not sure of the conditions now after the
          rain the past few days, but if it stays cold it will be ok in the a
          few days. Your welcome to come out and meet up with us talk to a few
          people and see what size you maybe start out with. If you get a land
          foil now to use on snow and ice it will give you some kite skills
          when you start out in the water come spring. Most of the people out
          there are from the wind climbers kite group, there is a map on thier
          website to pushlinch lake and all kinds of other stuff. I'll post a
          link in the links page of this group.

          Good luck
          Happy Holidays
          Jim

          --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "hamishhopkins
        • Chris Glazier <cglazier@canada.com>
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 24, 2002
            Hamish
            Kites like the Naish Aero or North Toro are good kites and forgiving
            enough for a beginner. Find what your nearest kite store stocks.

            And take lessons! I know some beginners here who are too cheap to
            sign up for lessons and they have wasted the whole season trying to
            figure things out on their own.

            There is a Canadian yahoo kitesurf group at
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cankitesurf/

            Chris G
            Vancouver

            --- In ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com, "hamishhopkins
            <hamishhopkins@h...>" <hamishhopkins@h...> wrote:
            > Hi there, any advice would be great.
            > I'm interested in getting started in the sport. I live in South-
            > western ontario (London) - so near the lakes, etc.. Basically, any
            > info regarding first kite to buy, one that should be able to get
            me
            > through the basics on land as well as take me to kitesurfing. I
            > understand that the type of equipment is dependent on many
            factors.
            > I am aprox. 6'1", 180lbs, 24yrs old, always into sports (skiing,
            ww
            > kayaking,
            > etc..) Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
            > thanks
            > Hamish.
          • Lee
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 24, 2002
              Visit http://www.kiterider.ca

              This is who I took lessons from. He is up in Sauble beach.

              See ya out there,
              Lee