Keeping things straight ...

  • flkitesurfer
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 19, 2002
      We all have heard of quite a few accidents involving novices to more
      than a few experts, making an attachment error with their flying
      lines, back to front or crossed over, launching in powered
      conditions and then rider gets slammed at high speed! Proper
      preflighting will avoid this but people will make mistakes. Dwight
      mentioned an approach used by North to create a fixed "polarity" or
      limited ways of attaching the flight lines. A photo series on one
      possible approach for retrofitting many kites appears at:

      http://www.kiteforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=3684&forum=1&11

      This one hasn't been tested yet. There must be a few dozen different
      ways of doing this. It would be good for folks to work on this,
      otherwise in a careless moment things could become pretty painful.

      FKA, Inc.

      transcribed by:
      Rick Iossi
    • Jo Macdonald
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 20, 2002
        All good stuff, but everyone can makes mistakes and even if I check
        and recheck my lines, this is one of the best reasons I've got for
        launching unhooked.
        In strong wind with the trim all the way down, or depower held on
        the bar.
        If the shit hits the fan let go fast and let the leash do its job.
        Jo
      • pry4wind
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 20, 2002
          The BOTTOM LINE.......PAY ATTENTION....NO EXCUSES!!!!

          --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Jo Macdonald" <mrjomacdonald@v...> wrote:
          > All good stuff, but everyone can makes mistakes and even if I check
          > and recheck my lines, this is one of the best reasons I've got for
          > launching unhooked.
          > In strong wind with the trim all the way down, or depower held on
          > the bar.
          > If the shit hits the fan let go fast and let the leash do its job.
          > Jo
        • Philip
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 20, 2002
            The new set up by North is a good one, But the bottom line is to take
            your time.
            We are all excited about getting going as quickly as possible when we
            get to the beach, but taking the few extra minutes to check and double
            check your gear can stop a very bad situation from occurring.

            I have been kiting for four years and still attach my lines one at a
            time going all the way from the bar to the kite with each line, this
            allows me to make sure I have no twists in lines, it also give me a
            chance to feel along each line for abrasions that may call for a line
            replacement. It does take a little longer, But I have the best chance of
            getting it right.
            I never let anyone else hook up my lines, I never hook up anyone else's
            lines.

            Before I have someone launch my kite weather they have done it 100 times
            for me or it is the first time I am getting a launch from someone I tell
            them not to let go of the kite until I have checked the lines and give
            them the Okay to let the kite go.

            If your bar does not have different colored sides so you can easily tell
            which is right and left, MARK THEM with red and green tape, there have
            been many accidents when people have the bar upside-down before launch
            or relaunch of the water.

            Philip Mann
            Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
            http://www.inlandsea.com
            Kitesite.net
            http://www.kitesite.net
            toll free 888-465-2632

[...]

            To unsubscribe, please send an email to
            ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • flkitesurfer
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 20, 2002
              Good points folks. Some of us have been saying that kiteboarding is
              not as easy as it looks for quite a while. The problem is that it
              can be very easy until things go wrong. Just like flying, you can
              learn to steer a plane in about five minutes, landing, takeoff and
              dealing with emergencies take a lot more time and training. At any
              rate being more methodical is critical for kiteboarding for the long
              term free of serious incidents.

              Many of us may remember launch approaches in the pre-four line
              inflatable days. Launching unhooked was fairly common and endorsed
              for obvious safety reasons. Easily taking advantage of the greater
              wind range of 4 line inflatables compels the majority to hook in to
              the chicken loop to launch. Jo makes a good point, launching
              unhooked solves a lot of safety problems during the vulnerable step
              in kiteboarding. It does raise some other issues on restricted wind
              range but kiteboarding is all about choices.

              Rick Iossi