Re: size kite

  • vytaspass
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 13, 2002
      Lynne,

      Don't quit. Are you riding yet? Or just flying? Sometimes, flying on
      land is a lot harder due to gusty conditions. Once you are moving
      with the board, you will find it a lot easier.

      When my girl first tried getting up, she was really scared sicne the
      wind was a lot higher than normal. I told her, "you actually need
      more wind than this to ride!". She didn't believe me until she got in
      the water. You'd be surprised how much more power you need to stay
      above the water on your board, when compared to standing on the
      ground. Its a big difference.

      www.chicagokitesurfing.com

      --- In ksurfschool@y..., "groovysouls2002" <groovysouls@h...> wrote:
      > Hi
      >
      > I can relate exactly to what you've said about your girlfriend.
      I've
      > tried several times to fly, on land and in shallow water, a 7m
      > projected in 15-20 knt wind and have not been successful. I'm close
      > to quitting out of sheer frustration! I have a low pain threshold
      > and just want to be able to surf safely, no exciting stunts. From
      > your description, it sounds like 7m projected in 15-20 is a bit too
      > big for me.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Lynne
      > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "vytaspass" <surfsup@r...> wrote:
      > > Depends on the wind and your threshold for pain I guess.
      > >
      > > At 115 lbs, you weigh about 5-10 lbs less than my girlfriend who
      > > rides a 12m flat in 10-18 and a 8m flat in 18-25. I won't allow
      > her
      > > to go in winds higher until she gets better for fear of
      > injury/death,
      > > or her getting freaked and quitting the sport.

      > > www.chicagokitesurfing.com
      > >
      > > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "groovysouls2002" <groovysouls@h...>
      > wrote:
      > > > Hi
      > > >
      > > > Does anyone know, for a female 52kgs (who's not very strong),
      > > what's
      > > > the smallest size kite she can go out in. Is it 5m? (setting
      > aside
      > > > for now issues of lessons etc)
      > > >
      > > > thanks
      > > >

      > > > lynne
    • groovysouls2002
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 13, 2002
        Hi V

        I'm only trying to fly. Not riding as yet. But what you've described
        about riding is something i'll take into consideration. Thinking
        about the kite size your girlfriend uses, I'm considering either
        getting shorter (20m lines) (currently it's either 25m or 30m) or a
        smaller training kite, rather than getting a 5m kitesurfing kite as
        i'd originally thought. I might speak to the local kite shop and see
        what I can get.

        Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'll stick with it for a while
        longer now.

        Cheers