Re: size kite

  • groovysouls2002
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 12, 2002
      Hi Ethan

      Thanks for your reply. I have 7m projected 4 line. I have a board
      that's 1.4 m. At the moment, i'm just trying to fly the kite (on
      land and in shallow water, without the board). But I'm struggling to
      keep it in the air in up to 20knts. My hunch is that the kite's too
      big for me. Longer term, i would like just to be able to go out on
      it, in b/w 15-20 knot wind, and not interested in doing jumps or
      anything exciting like that.

      Your wife has gone out on a 4 & 3m! Maybe the 5m would still be too
      big then?

      Lynne

      --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Ethan Janson" <ejanson@s...> wrote:
      > You need to be more specific. My wife has cranked upwind MANY
      times
      > on a 4m kite and even a 3m. Take a big surf board, and you could
      > probably get motoring on a trainer!!! Wind speed and board size
      will
      > largely help determine the size kite you need...
      >
      > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "groovysouls2002" <groovysouls@h...>
      wrote:
      > > Hi
      > >
      > > Does anyone know, for a female 52kgs (who's not very strong),
      > what's
      > > the smallest size kite she can go out in. Is it 5m? (setting
      aside
      > > for now issues of lessons etc)
      > >
      > > thanks
      > >

      > > lynne
    • groovysouls2002
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 12, 2002
        Hi

        I can relate exactly to what you've said about your girlfriend. I've
        tried several times to fly, on land and in shallow water, a 7m
        projected in 15-20 knt wind and have not been successful. I'm close
        to quitting out of sheer frustration! I have a low pain threshold
        and just want to be able to surf safely, no exciting stunts. From
        your description, it sounds like 7m projected in 15-20 is a bit too
        big for me.

        Thanks

        Lynne
        --- In ksurfschool@y..., "vytaspass" <surfsup@r...> wrote:
        > Depends on the wind and your threshold for pain I guess.
        >
        > At 115 lbs, you weigh about 5-10 lbs less than my girlfriend who
        > rides a 12m flat in 10-18 and a 8m flat in 18-25. I won't allow
        her
        > to go in winds higher until she gets better for fear of
        injury/death,
        > or her getting freaked and quitting the sport.

        > www.chicagokitesurfing.com
        >
        > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "groovysouls2002" <groovysouls@h...>
        wrote:
        > > Hi
        > >
        > > Does anyone know, for a female 52kgs (who's not very strong),
        > what's
        > > the smallest size kite she can go out in. Is it 5m? (setting
        aside
        > > for now issues of lessons etc)
        > >
        > > thanks
        > >

        > > lynne
      • vytaspass
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 13, 2002
          Lynne,

          Don't quit. Are you riding yet? Or just flying? Sometimes, flying on
          land is a lot harder due to gusty conditions. Once you are moving
          with the board, you will find it a lot easier.

          When my girl first tried getting up, she was really scared sicne the
          wind was a lot higher than normal. I told her, "you actually need
          more wind than this to ride!". She didn't believe me until she got in
          the water. You'd be surprised how much more power you need to stay
          above the water on your board, when compared to standing on the
          ground. Its a big difference.

          www.chicagokitesurfing.com

          --- In ksurfschool@y..., "groovysouls2002" <groovysouls@h...> wrote:
          > Hi
          >
          > I can relate exactly to what you've said about your girlfriend.
          I've
          > tried several times to fly, on land and in shallow water, a 7m
          > projected in 15-20 knt wind and have not been successful. I'm close
          > to quitting out of sheer frustration! I have a low pain threshold
          > and just want to be able to surf safely, no exciting stunts. From
          > your description, it sounds like 7m projected in 15-20 is a bit too
          > big for me.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Lynne
          > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "vytaspass" <surfsup@r...> wrote:
          > > Depends on the wind and your threshold for pain I guess.
          > >
          > > At 115 lbs, you weigh about 5-10 lbs less than my girlfriend who
          > > rides a 12m flat in 10-18 and a 8m flat in 18-25. I won't allow
          > her
          > > to go in winds higher until she gets better for fear of
          > injury/death,
          > > or her getting freaked and quitting the sport.

          > > www.chicagokitesurfing.com
          > >
          > > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "groovysouls2002" <groovysouls@h...>
          > wrote:
          > > > Hi
          > > >
          > > > Does anyone know, for a female 52kgs (who's not very strong),
          > > what's
          > > > the smallest size kite she can go out in. Is it 5m? (setting
          > aside
          > > > for now issues of lessons etc)
          > > >
          > > > thanks
          > > >

          > > > lynne
        • groovysouls2002
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 13, 2002
            Hi V

            I'm only trying to fly. Not riding as yet. But what you've described
            about riding is something i'll take into consideration. Thinking
            about the kite size your girlfriend uses, I'm considering either
            getting shorter (20m lines) (currently it's either 25m or 30m) or a
            smaller training kite, rather than getting a 5m kitesurfing kite as
            i'd originally thought. I might speak to the local kite shop and see
            what I can get.

            Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'll stick with it for a while
            longer now.

            Cheers