Re: size kite

  • vytaspass
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 12, 2002
      Depends on the wind and your threshold for pain I guess.

      At 115 lbs, you weigh about 5-10 lbs less than my girlfriend who
      rides a 12m flat in 10-18 and a 8m flat in 18-25. I won't allow her
      to go in winds higher until she gets better for fear of injury/death,
      or her getting freaked and quitting the sport.

      www.chicagokitesurfing.com

      --- In ksurfschool@y..., "groovysouls2002" <groovysouls@h...> wrote:
      > Hi
      >
      > Does anyone know, for a female 52kgs (who's not very strong),
      what's
      > the smallest size kite she can go out in. Is it 5m? (setting aside
      > for now issues of lessons etc)
      >
      > thanks
      >

      > lynne
    • groovysouls2002
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 12, 2002
        Hi Ethan

        Thanks for your reply. I have 7m projected 4 line. I have a board
        that's 1.4 m. At the moment, i'm just trying to fly the kite (on
        land and in shallow water, without the board). But I'm struggling to
        keep it in the air in up to 20knts. My hunch is that the kite's too
        big for me. Longer term, i would like just to be able to go out on
        it, in b/w 15-20 knot wind, and not interested in doing jumps or
        anything exciting like that.

        Your wife has gone out on a 4 & 3m! Maybe the 5m would still be too
        big then?

        Lynne

        --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Ethan Janson" <ejanson@s...> wrote:
        > You need to be more specific. My wife has cranked upwind MANY
        times
        > on a 4m kite and even a 3m. Take a big surf board, and you could
        > probably get motoring on a trainer!!! Wind speed and board size
        will
        > largely help determine the size kite you need...
        >
        > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "groovysouls2002" <groovysouls@h...>
        wrote:
        > > Hi
        > >
        > > Does anyone know, for a female 52kgs (who's not very strong),
        > what's
        > > the smallest size kite she can go out in. Is it 5m? (setting
        aside
        > > for now issues of lessons etc)
        > >
        > > thanks
        > >

        > > lynne
      • groovysouls2002
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 12, 2002
          Hi

          I can relate exactly to what you've said about your girlfriend. I've
          tried several times to fly, on land and in shallow water, a 7m
          projected in 15-20 knt wind and have not been successful. I'm close
          to quitting out of sheer frustration! I have a low pain threshold
          and just want to be able to surf safely, no exciting stunts. From
          your description, it sounds like 7m projected in 15-20 is a bit too
          big for me.

          Thanks

          Lynne
          --- In ksurfschool@y..., "vytaspass" <surfsup@r...> wrote:
          > Depends on the wind and your threshold for pain I guess.
          >
          > At 115 lbs, you weigh about 5-10 lbs less than my girlfriend who
          > rides a 12m flat in 10-18 and a 8m flat in 18-25. I won't allow
          her
          > to go in winds higher until she gets better for fear of
          injury/death,
          > or her getting freaked and quitting the sport.

          > www.chicagokitesurfing.com
          >
          > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "groovysouls2002" <groovysouls@h...>
          wrote:
          > > Hi
          > >
          > > Does anyone know, for a female 52kgs (who's not very strong),
          > what's
          > > the smallest size kite she can go out in. Is it 5m? (setting
          aside
          > > for now issues of lessons etc)
          > >
          > > thanks
          > >

          > > lynne
        • vytaspass
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 13, 2002
            Lynne,

            Don't quit. Are you riding yet? Or just flying? Sometimes, flying on
            land is a lot harder due to gusty conditions. Once you are moving
            with the board, you will find it a lot easier.

            When my girl first tried getting up, she was really scared sicne the
            wind was a lot higher than normal. I told her, "you actually need
            more wind than this to ride!". She didn't believe me until she got in
            the water. You'd be surprised how much more power you need to stay
            above the water on your board, when compared to standing on the
            ground. Its a big difference.

            www.chicagokitesurfing.com

            --- In ksurfschool@y..., "groovysouls2002" <groovysouls@h...> wrote:
            > Hi
            >
            > I can relate exactly to what you've said about your girlfriend.
            I've
            > tried several times to fly, on land and in shallow water, a 7m
            > projected in 15-20 knt wind and have not been successful. I'm close
            > to quitting out of sheer frustration! I have a low pain threshold
            > and just want to be able to surf safely, no exciting stunts. From
            > your description, it sounds like 7m projected in 15-20 is a bit too
            > big for me.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Lynne
            > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "vytaspass" <surfsup@r...> wrote:
            > > Depends on the wind and your threshold for pain I guess.
            > >
            > > At 115 lbs, you weigh about 5-10 lbs less than my girlfriend who
            > > rides a 12m flat in 10-18 and a 8m flat in 18-25. I won't allow
            > her
            > > to go in winds higher until she gets better for fear of
            > injury/death,
            > > or her getting freaked and quitting the sport.

            > > www.chicagokitesurfing.com
            > >
            > > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "groovysouls2002" <groovysouls@h...>
            > wrote:
            > > > Hi
            > > >
            > > > Does anyone know, for a female 52kgs (who's not very strong),
            > > what's
            > > > the smallest size kite she can go out in. Is it 5m? (setting
            > aside
            > > > for now issues of lessons etc)
            > > >
            > > > thanks
            > > >

            > > > lynne
          • groovysouls2002
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 13, 2002
              Hi V

              I'm only trying to fly. Not riding as yet. But what you've described
              about riding is something i'll take into consideration. Thinking
              about the kite size your girlfriend uses, I'm considering either
              getting shorter (20m lines) (currently it's either 25m or 30m) or a
              smaller training kite, rather than getting a 5m kitesurfing kite as
              i'd originally thought. I might speak to the local kite shop and see
              what I can get.

              Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'll stick with it for a while
              longer now.

              Cheers