Re: size kite

  • Ethan Janson
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 12, 2002
      You need to be more specific. My wife has cranked upwind MANY times
      on a 4m kite and even a 3m. Take a big surf board, and you could
      probably get motoring on a trainer!!! Wind speed and board size will
      largely help determine the size kite you need...

      --- In ksurfschool@y..., "groovysouls2002" <groovysouls@h...> wrote:
      > Hi
      >
      > Does anyone know, for a female 52kgs (who's not very strong),
      what's
      > the smallest size kite she can go out in. Is it 5m? (setting aside
      > for now issues of lessons etc)
      >
      > thanks
      >

      > lynne
    • vytaspass
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 12, 2002
        Depends on the wind and your threshold for pain I guess.

        At 115 lbs, you weigh about 5-10 lbs less than my girlfriend who
        rides a 12m flat in 10-18 and a 8m flat in 18-25. I won't allow her
        to go in winds higher until she gets better for fear of injury/death,
        or her getting freaked and quitting the sport.

        www.chicagokitesurfing.com

        --- In ksurfschool@y..., "groovysouls2002" <groovysouls@h...> wrote:
        > Hi
        >
        > Does anyone know, for a female 52kgs (who's not very strong),
        what's
        > the smallest size kite she can go out in. Is it 5m? (setting aside
        > for now issues of lessons etc)
        >
        > thanks
        >

        > lynne
      • groovysouls2002
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 12, 2002
          Hi Ethan

          Thanks for your reply. I have 7m projected 4 line. I have a board
          that's 1.4 m. At the moment, i'm just trying to fly the kite (on
          land and in shallow water, without the board). But I'm struggling to
          keep it in the air in up to 20knts. My hunch is that the kite's too
          big for me. Longer term, i would like just to be able to go out on
          it, in b/w 15-20 knot wind, and not interested in doing jumps or
          anything exciting like that.

          Your wife has gone out on a 4 & 3m! Maybe the 5m would still be too
          big then?

          Lynne

          --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Ethan Janson" <ejanson@s...> wrote:
          > You need to be more specific. My wife has cranked upwind MANY
          times
          > on a 4m kite and even a 3m. Take a big surf board, and you could
          > probably get motoring on a trainer!!! Wind speed and board size
          will
          > largely help determine the size kite you need...
          >
          > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "groovysouls2002" <groovysouls@h...>
          wrote:
          > > Hi
          > >
          > > Does anyone know, for a female 52kgs (who's not very strong),
          > what's
          > > the smallest size kite she can go out in. Is it 5m? (setting
          aside
          > > for now issues of lessons etc)
          > >
          > > thanks
          > >

          > > lynne
        • groovysouls2002
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 12, 2002
            Hi

            I can relate exactly to what you've said about your girlfriend. I've
            tried several times to fly, on land and in shallow water, a 7m
            projected in 15-20 knt wind and have not been successful. I'm close
            to quitting out of sheer frustration! I have a low pain threshold
            and just want to be able to surf safely, no exciting stunts. From
            your description, it sounds like 7m projected in 15-20 is a bit too
            big for me.

            Thanks

            Lynne
            --- In ksurfschool@y..., "vytaspass" <surfsup@r...> wrote:
            > Depends on the wind and your threshold for pain I guess.
            >
            > At 115 lbs, you weigh about 5-10 lbs less than my girlfriend who
            > rides a 12m flat in 10-18 and a 8m flat in 18-25. I won't allow
            her
            > to go in winds higher until she gets better for fear of
            injury/death,
            > or her getting freaked and quitting the sport.

            > www.chicagokitesurfing.com
            >
            > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "groovysouls2002" <groovysouls@h...>
            wrote:
            > > Hi
            > >
            > > Does anyone know, for a female 52kgs (who's not very strong),
            > what's
            > > the smallest size kite she can go out in. Is it 5m? (setting
            aside
            > > for now issues of lessons etc)
            > >
            > > thanks
            > >

            > > lynne
          • vytaspass
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 13, 2002
              Lynne,

              Don't quit. Are you riding yet? Or just flying? Sometimes, flying on
              land is a lot harder due to gusty conditions. Once you are moving
              with the board, you will find it a lot easier.

              When my girl first tried getting up, she was really scared sicne the
              wind was a lot higher than normal. I told her, "you actually need
              more wind than this to ride!". She didn't believe me until she got in
              the water. You'd be surprised how much more power you need to stay
              above the water on your board, when compared to standing on the
              ground. Its a big difference.

              www.chicagokitesurfing.com

              --- In ksurfschool@y..., "groovysouls2002" <groovysouls@h...> wrote:
              > Hi
              >
              > I can relate exactly to what you've said about your girlfriend.
              I've
              > tried several times to fly, on land and in shallow water, a 7m
              > projected in 15-20 knt wind and have not been successful. I'm close
              > to quitting out of sheer frustration! I have a low pain threshold
              > and just want to be able to surf safely, no exciting stunts. From
              > your description, it sounds like 7m projected in 15-20 is a bit too
              > big for me.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Lynne
              > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "vytaspass" <surfsup@r...> wrote:
              > > Depends on the wind and your threshold for pain I guess.
              > >
              > > At 115 lbs, you weigh about 5-10 lbs less than my girlfriend who
              > > rides a 12m flat in 10-18 and a 8m flat in 18-25. I won't allow
              > her
              > > to go in winds higher until she gets better for fear of
              > injury/death,
              > > or her getting freaked and quitting the sport.

              > > www.chicagokitesurfing.com
              > >
              > > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "groovysouls2002" <groovysouls@h...>
              > wrote:
              > > > Hi
              > > >
              > > > Does anyone know, for a female 52kgs (who's not very strong),
              > > what's
              > > > the smallest size kite she can go out in. Is it 5m? (setting
              > aside
              > > > for now issues of lessons etc)
              > > >
              > > > thanks
              > > >

              > > > lynne
            • groovysouls2002
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 13, 2002
                Hi V

                I'm only trying to fly. Not riding as yet. But what you've described
                about riding is something i'll take into consideration. Thinking
                about the kite size your girlfriend uses, I'm considering either
                getting shorter (20m lines) (currently it's either 25m or 30m) or a
                smaller training kite, rather than getting a 5m kitesurfing kite as
                i'd originally thought. I might speak to the local kite shop and see
                what I can get.

                Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'll stick with it for a while
                longer now.

                Cheers