size kite

  • groovysouls2002
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 11, 2002
      Hi

      Does anyone know, for a female 52kgs (who's not very strong), what's
      the smallest size kite she can go out in. Is it 5m? (setting aside
      for now issues of lessons etc)

      thanks

      lynne
    • Ethan Janson
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 12, 2002
        You need to be more specific. My wife has cranked upwind MANY times
        on a 4m kite and even a 3m. Take a big surf board, and you could
        probably get motoring on a trainer!!! Wind speed and board size will
        largely help determine the size kite you need...

        --- In ksurfschool@y..., "groovysouls2002" <groovysouls@h...> wrote:
        > Hi
        >
        > Does anyone know, for a female 52kgs (who's not very strong),
        what's
        > the smallest size kite she can go out in. Is it 5m? (setting aside
        > for now issues of lessons etc)
        >
        > thanks
        >

        > lynne
      • vytaspass
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 12, 2002
          Depends on the wind and your threshold for pain I guess.

          At 115 lbs, you weigh about 5-10 lbs less than my girlfriend who
          rides a 12m flat in 10-18 and a 8m flat in 18-25. I won't allow her
          to go in winds higher until she gets better for fear of injury/death,
          or her getting freaked and quitting the sport.

          www.chicagokitesurfing.com

          --- In ksurfschool@y..., "groovysouls2002" <groovysouls@h...> wrote:
          > Hi
          >
          > Does anyone know, for a female 52kgs (who's not very strong),
          what's
          > the smallest size kite she can go out in. Is it 5m? (setting aside
          > for now issues of lessons etc)
          >
          > thanks
          >

          > lynne
        • groovysouls2002
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 12, 2002
            Hi Ethan

            Thanks for your reply. I have 7m projected 4 line. I have a board
            that's 1.4 m. At the moment, i'm just trying to fly the kite (on
            land and in shallow water, without the board). But I'm struggling to
            keep it in the air in up to 20knts. My hunch is that the kite's too
            big for me. Longer term, i would like just to be able to go out on
            it, in b/w 15-20 knot wind, and not interested in doing jumps or
            anything exciting like that.

            Your wife has gone out on a 4 & 3m! Maybe the 5m would still be too
            big then?

            Lynne

            --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Ethan Janson" <ejanson@s...> wrote:
            > You need to be more specific. My wife has cranked upwind MANY
            times
            > on a 4m kite and even a 3m. Take a big surf board, and you could
            > probably get motoring on a trainer!!! Wind speed and board size
            will
            > largely help determine the size kite you need...
            >
            > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "groovysouls2002" <groovysouls@h...>
            wrote:
            > > Hi
            > >
            > > Does anyone know, for a female 52kgs (who's not very strong),
            > what's
            > > the smallest size kite she can go out in. Is it 5m? (setting
            aside
            > > for now issues of lessons etc)
            > >
            > > thanks
            > >

            > > lynne
          • groovysouls2002
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 12, 2002
              Hi

              I can relate exactly to what you've said about your girlfriend. I've
              tried several times to fly, on land and in shallow water, a 7m
              projected in 15-20 knt wind and have not been successful. I'm close
              to quitting out of sheer frustration! I have a low pain threshold
              and just want to be able to surf safely, no exciting stunts. From
              your description, it sounds like 7m projected in 15-20 is a bit too
              big for me.

              Thanks

              Lynne
              --- In ksurfschool@y..., "vytaspass" <surfsup@r...> wrote:
              > Depends on the wind and your threshold for pain I guess.
              >
              > At 115 lbs, you weigh about 5-10 lbs less than my girlfriend who
              > rides a 12m flat in 10-18 and a 8m flat in 18-25. I won't allow
              her
              > to go in winds higher until she gets better for fear of
              injury/death,
              > or her getting freaked and quitting the sport.

              > www.chicagokitesurfing.com
              >
              > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "groovysouls2002" <groovysouls@h...>
              wrote:
              > > Hi
              > >
              > > Does anyone know, for a female 52kgs (who's not very strong),
              > what's
              > > the smallest size kite she can go out in. Is it 5m? (setting
              aside
              > > for now issues of lessons etc)
              > >
              > > thanks
              > >

              > > lynne
            • vytaspass
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 13, 2002
                Lynne,

                Don't quit. Are you riding yet? Or just flying? Sometimes, flying on
                land is a lot harder due to gusty conditions. Once you are moving
                with the board, you will find it a lot easier.

                When my girl first tried getting up, she was really scared sicne the
                wind was a lot higher than normal. I told her, "you actually need
                more wind than this to ride!". She didn't believe me until she got in
                the water. You'd be surprised how much more power you need to stay
                above the water on your board, when compared to standing on the
                ground. Its a big difference.

                www.chicagokitesurfing.com

                --- In ksurfschool@y..., "groovysouls2002" <groovysouls@h...> wrote:
                > Hi
                >
                > I can relate exactly to what you've said about your girlfriend.
                I've
                > tried several times to fly, on land and in shallow water, a 7m
                > projected in 15-20 knt wind and have not been successful. I'm close
                > to quitting out of sheer frustration! I have a low pain threshold
                > and just want to be able to surf safely, no exciting stunts. From
                > your description, it sounds like 7m projected in 15-20 is a bit too
                > big for me.
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Lynne
                > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "vytaspass" <surfsup@r...> wrote:
                > > Depends on the wind and your threshold for pain I guess.
                > >
                > > At 115 lbs, you weigh about 5-10 lbs less than my girlfriend who
                > > rides a 12m flat in 10-18 and a 8m flat in 18-25. I won't allow
                > her
                > > to go in winds higher until she gets better for fear of
                > injury/death,
                > > or her getting freaked and quitting the sport.

                > > www.chicagokitesurfing.com
                > >
                > > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "groovysouls2002" <groovysouls@h...>
                > wrote:
                > > > Hi
                > > >
                > > > Does anyone know, for a female 52kgs (who's not very strong),
                > > what's
                > > > the smallest size kite she can go out in. Is it 5m? (setting
                > aside
                > > > for now issues of lessons etc)
                > > >
                > > > thanks
                > > >

                > > > lynne
              • groovysouls2002
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 13, 2002
                  Hi V

                  I'm only trying to fly. Not riding as yet. But what you've described
                  about riding is something i'll take into consideration. Thinking
                  about the kite size your girlfriend uses, I'm considering either
                  getting shorter (20m lines) (currently it's either 25m or 30m) or a
                  smaller training kite, rather than getting a 5m kitesurfing kite as
                  i'd originally thought. I might speak to the local kite shop and see
                  what I can get.

                  Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'll stick with it for a while
                  longer now.

                  Cheers