Depower question on new kite

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 10, 2002
      Hi there all
      I have Now made and flowen my kite with success in +-5knots today
      It has good power in this light wind I was surprized when i got
      dragged on my but 20m before i got the kite back to the neuteral
      zone.
      the only problem i had was that my depower system would'nt
      work, i've got my front lines to my harness and the back lines
      to the bar ends and you pull the bar in or let it out, to my mind it
      should depower but i tried both in and out and the kite still pulled
      like a train.
      The steering was also a little slow so maybe my back lines are
      still loo long.
      any info would be appreciated, maybe im using the wrong depower
      setup for a big kite like this.
      Also at the left or right edge when i pull the bar in or out the tips
      have
      a tendancy to look like they will collaps.
      otherwize a very stable kite.
      thanks
      managed to get some pictures though, sorry about the quality
      its my capture card.
      put them in folder spinaker 7.5

      Regards

      Chris
    • Jo Macdonald
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 11, 2002
        Hi Chris,
        Sounds like a great lightwind kite. I didn't catch your earlier
        messages and couldn't see your pics but it sounds like a big foil,
        right?
        Depowering the kite will make it fly faster so when it's flying it
        won't pull much less, in fact it can pull less when powered up when
        flying, it's also a question of feeling, it should pull less when
        depowered and parked at the edge of the window. Anyway you can try
        to shorten the depower, which should stabilise the kite more and
        stop the tips folding, mark where the knot is now and try making
        another knot lower than the original one, try a few cm's at a time.
        You should be able to get to the point where, with the kite at
        zenith it will, sit back in the window without reversing too much
        when powered up and fly forwards to the edge when depowered without
        luffing too evidently.
        Also not depowering the kite fully but keeping it a bit powered up
        when parked at the edge of the window will help to avoid tip
        curling. If a tip doe curl pulling the opposite line taught with the
        bar should sort it out too.

        The slow turning is a question of kite design, high/low Ar, line
        length, shorter lines will make it pull less and turn faster, and
        the way you fly it, it''ll turn slower from parked or when flying
        slowly than if it's flying fast, power it up to turn it while it's
        flying then half way through the turn try depowering so the kite
        picks up speed again and flies/falls into the turn.
        Like to see your pics.
        Have fun.
        Jo
      • hink_trent
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 11, 2002
          The folder is empty. I would like to have a look at the pics.

          --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Chris" <splatacat@y...> wrote:

          > managed to get some pictures though, sorry about the quality
          > its my capture card.
          > put them in folder spinaker 7.5
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Chris
        • Chris
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 11, 2002
            > Like to see your pics.
            > Have fun.
            > Jo

            I see now it gives ma a acces denied so i tried putting the pictures
            in where the other pictures were and they there now, not in the folder

            Thanks for the advice, will try it and keep u posted.
            happy hanging
            Chris