Physics of Kites

  • TheYellowJersey
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 14, 2002
      Does anyone know a good site that explains the physics of kites? I'm
      particularly curious as to why pulling on one side of the kite causes
      it to turn. While I have seen sites that discuss the wind window and
      the efficiency vs size of the kites, I haven't seen anything that
      specifically discusses why kites turn.

      Thanks

      Jerome-
    • David Stanek
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 14, 2002
        Try to search some paragliding/hanggliding sites - physics of the weight
        shifting turns are very similar. Using brakes (foils) is also the same as on
        PG.
        David

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 15, 2002
          NASA has some good information at:

          http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/bgk.html

          and

          http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/kitedrag.html

          WindDance has had a nice site for years going over this subject at:

          http://www.seattleairgear.com/kp101.htm

          Rick Iossi

          Does anyone know a good site that explains the physics of kites? I'm
          particularly curious as to why pulling on one side of the kite causes
          it to turn. While I have seen sites that discuss the wind window and
          the efficiency vs size of the kites, I haven't seen anything that
          specifically discusses why kites turn.

          Thanks

          Jerome-

          To unsubscribe, please send an email to
          ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • vytaspass
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 16, 2002
            As an aerospace engineer, let me say something in basic terms. The
            kite is not pulled on one side, but on the back corner of one side.
            This effectively increases the angle of attack for that side, which
            causes a greater pressure difference on that side of the kite
            creating more (or less, in light winds due to stall) lift. The more
            lift will pull that side away from you sending it "back" which brings
            the other side more forward which turns the kite. If your kite is at
            zenith, and you pull on the right rear line, the right side of the
            kite will increase in lift and be sent slightly away from you and the
            left side will come forward to equalize, and the kite will simply
            move to the right in the direction its facing...(I think)

            www.chicagokitesurfing.com