Re: Beginners' Kite Handling Exercises

  • fernmanus
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 8, 2002
      V,

      "You can also make a small plywood board with a couple straps (or
      > mount your snowboard bidings on it) and drag around the sand or
      grass to practice with your sandals on."

      I realize you have good intentions, but I wouldn't recommend that
      any beginner go play around on the grass or sand with a plywood
      board and a large traction kite. It just isn't safe. If the guy
      was lifted grass doesn't offer much cushion.

      I recommend flying a practice kite on hard surfaces and saving the
      larger kites for water or soft snow.

      Kenny

      --- In ksurfschool@y..., "vytaspass" <surfsup@r...> wrote:
      > One thing I always tell my students, and its something not many
      > people mention, is this:
      >
      > When sining the kite, or figure-8, you want the kite to generate
      > constant power.
      >
      > If you're wakeboarding, the boat doesn't surge forward, then slow
      > down, then surge forward...it pulls at a constant pull.
      >
      > To be ready for the water, you should be able to horizontally
      figure-
      > 8 the kite with steady pull through the straights and the turns,
      > vertically figure-8 the kite at the edge of the window at constant
      > power, and run with the kite to the left/right while sining the
      kite
      > and maintaining as constant a pull from the kite as you can.
      Pulling
      > yourself up to your feet is good. Also, never step forward on the
      > sand when the kite pulls. Get used to leaning back and sliding.
      Your
      > feet in the kiteboard will be fixed and if you have to step
      forward
      > on the water, you will be tea-bagging face first instead. Its
      always
      > better to fall back on your butt, then get tea bagged.
      >
      > You can also make a small plywood board with a couple straps (or
      > mount your snowboard bidings on it) and drag around the sand or
      grass
      > to practice with your sandals on.

      > www.chicagokitesurfing.com
      >
      > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Kitepower" <sydney@k...> wrote:
      > > You are doing all you need to now, except perhaps wearing a
      harness
      > and
      > > learning to steer with one hand. It also sounds like you could
      > easily get
      > > your gear now, get a lesson and get out there, can you kite
      through
      > winter
      > > in your area or does the water get too hard?
      > > :-)
      > >
      > > Cya and
      > > Goodwinds
      > > Steve McCormack
      > > http://www.kitepower.com.au
      > > mailto:sydney@k...
      > > Open 7 days
      > > 126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
      > > Phone +61293157894

      Service.

    • vytaspass
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 9, 2002
        Yeah, sometimes things get lost in the message.

        I meant to say that "as you get better and start flying the larger
        kites on land....you can do this"

        My fault in writing a quick reply and not being as explanative as I
        should...

        Bottom line, get some training on a trainer and a big kite, then fly
        the trainer for another couple weeks, then put up the big kite with a
        kite buddy and do some body-drags and board starts...