Re: Beginners' Kite Handling Exercises

  • vytaspass
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 7, 2002
      One thing I always tell my students, and its something not many
      people mention, is this:

      When sining the kite, or figure-8, you want the kite to generate
      constant power.

      If you're wakeboarding, the boat doesn't surge forward, then slow
      down, then surge forward...it pulls at a constant pull.

      To be ready for the water, you should be able to horizontally figure-
      8 the kite with steady pull through the straights and the turns,
      vertically figure-8 the kite at the edge of the window at constant
      power, and run with the kite to the left/right while sining the kite
      and maintaining as constant a pull from the kite as you can. Pulling
      yourself up to your feet is good. Also, never step forward on the
      sand when the kite pulls. Get used to leaning back and sliding. Your
      feet in the kiteboard will be fixed and if you have to step forward
      on the water, you will be tea-bagging face first instead. Its always
      better to fall back on your butt, then get tea bagged.

      You can also make a small plywood board with a couple straps (or
      mount your snowboard bidings on it) and drag around the sand or grass
      to practice with your sandals on.

      www.chicagokitesurfing.com

    • fernmanus
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 8, 2002
        V,

        "You can also make a small plywood board with a couple straps (or
        > mount your snowboard bidings on it) and drag around the sand or
        grass to practice with your sandals on."

        I realize you have good intentions, but I wouldn't recommend that
        any beginner go play around on the grass or sand with a plywood
        board and a large traction kite. It just isn't safe. If the guy
        was lifted grass doesn't offer much cushion.

        I recommend flying a practice kite on hard surfaces and saving the
        larger kites for water or soft snow.

        Kenny

        Service.

      • vytaspass
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 9, 2002
          Yeah, sometimes things get lost in the message.

          I meant to say that "as you get better and start flying the larger
          kites on land....you can do this"

          My fault in writing a quick reply and not being as explanative as I
          should...

          Bottom line, get some training on a trainer and a big kite, then fly
          the trainer for another couple weeks, then put up the big kite with a
          kite buddy and do some body-drags and board starts...