Re: [ksurfschool] Digest Number 735

  • Chris Moore
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2002
      Ryan,

      I would also recommend you take lessons to avoid bad carnage to your
      equipment and yourself. You can gain a lot from an experienced PASA
      certified instructor. I would then say that the sizing thing works like
      this. Small kite for high winds, Medium kite for medium winds, large kite
      for low winds. Here is a more general breakdown. 10-15 range is 12 meter
      and larger kite range. 15-20mph range is a 7.5-11.5 20-25mph is the 5-7.0
      range. These are general ranges and then you consider the pilot skill first
      and the board size and type second, and then the pilot weight.

      I always recommend that someone purchase the medium size kite first as it is
      the easiest kite to maneuver. It is the bread and butter size for most
      people. A kite too large sounds neccessary in your area, but will also be
      much harder to learn on. A large kite is much harder to water relaunch and
      may turn you off to the sport entirely. I would suggest a 12.2 projected
      kite size to start with.

      The winning combination for your first purchase is a bigger board and
      smaller kite.

      I do have a wide variety of kites available and would be willing to discuss
      it further with you on the phone. My number is 252-207-1639. I operate a
      kiteboarding school and am familiar with a wide variey of kites and how they
      handle both in the hands of expert riders as well as in the hands of
      beginners. I also have a ton of used gear.

      Chris Moore
      Kitty Hawk Kites Kite Surfing School

      Message: 1
      > Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 06:31:10 -0000
      > From: "sssutherland" <sssutherland@...>
      > Subject: Kite size??
      >
      > I live in Ventura California where the winds average about 10-15knots
      > daily. I am 6'2 and weigh about 180 lbs.
      >
      > I am wondering about kite size.
      >
      > I am looking at the Liquid Force Apexx 4line kites.
      >
      > Would the 9.0 or the 11.5 be a better choice for these conditions??
      >
      > And how about board lenght. Should I go with a foot shorter than me
      > for the wakeboard style or should I go with about my height??
      >
      > Any respone much appreciated.
      >
      > Ryan

    • dixon76710
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 10, 2002
        Id go for the 11.5. Might have to wait for slightly more than
        average wind days. Although Im not familiar with liquid force kites,
        12.5 projected is pushing close to a 20 meter kite and I would think
        very difficult to learn on. I learned on a 15.5 Naish ( 8 something
        projected) and was amazed when I got a 7.5 and flying in more wind
        how much easier everything was. Also most of the bigger tube kites
        can be a pain to relaunch in the lower range of the kite and this is
        probably where you want to be the first few times. First few times
        usually involve lots of waterlaunching. I could be wrong here as
        Chris runs a school but 12.5 projected seems big for a first kite.

        MARK

      • dixon76710
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 10, 2002
          I went to the liquid force site for sizing of their kites. Couldnt
          find the projected measurements but actual measurements run 11.5, 15
          and 20. You would need the 20 meter to get the 12.5 projected
          suggested by Chris.
          Maybe the 15 but I wouldnt get the 20 to learn on.

          MARK