Re: Beginners' Kite Handling Exercises

  • Jo Macdonald
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2002
      Hi Scott,
      Sounds like you're doing fine, get out there on the water.
      Best site I found is http://www.kitesurfingschool.org/
      Jo
    • pksebago
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 7, 2002
        Don't give up in Winter. Get some skis or a snowboard and get out on
        a frozen lake or field. Great way to learn. Smaller kites and when
        all else fails you can walk back in.

        --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Scott Phillips" <scottdt21@m...> wrote:
        > Are there any sites that have details on exercises beginners
        can do to increase their kite handling skills? This would apply to
        both on land and, later, in the water.....prior to getting on a
        board. I've had an introductory land lesson but it's been several
        months ago and was before I got a LEI kite to practice with (a Wipika
        3.2 FreeAir, set up for two-lines). Today I spent four hours on the
        beach with it doing sine movements, self-launching/landing, getting
        pulled along on my feet, starting off sitting or laying down and
        getting pulled up onto my feet, becomming comfortable using my bar's
        chicken loop, etc. All this in 10-13 mph winds.
        > With our summer over, I think rather invest more money in
        another lesson right now, I'd be better off practicing handling the
        kite and take the lesson in the Spring. I've got the Boost II
        videos but while excellent, it goes over the basics rather quickly.
        > Any help would be appreciated!

      • vytaspass
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 7, 2002
          One thing I always tell my students, and its something not many
          people mention, is this:

          When sining the kite, or figure-8, you want the kite to generate
          constant power.

          If you're wakeboarding, the boat doesn't surge forward, then slow
          down, then surge forward...it pulls at a constant pull.

          To be ready for the water, you should be able to horizontally figure-
          8 the kite with steady pull through the straights and the turns,
          vertically figure-8 the kite at the edge of the window at constant
          power, and run with the kite to the left/right while sining the kite
          and maintaining as constant a pull from the kite as you can. Pulling
          yourself up to your feet is good. Also, never step forward on the
          sand when the kite pulls. Get used to leaning back and sliding. Your
          feet in the kiteboard will be fixed and if you have to step forward
          on the water, you will be tea-bagging face first instead. Its always
          better to fall back on your butt, then get tea bagged.

          You can also make a small plywood board with a couple straps (or
          mount your snowboard bidings on it) and drag around the sand or grass
          to practice with your sandals on.

          www.chicagokitesurfing.com

        • fernmanus
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 8, 2002
            V,

            "You can also make a small plywood board with a couple straps (or
            > mount your snowboard bidings on it) and drag around the sand or
            grass to practice with your sandals on."

            I realize you have good intentions, but I wouldn't recommend that
            any beginner go play around on the grass or sand with a plywood
            board and a large traction kite. It just isn't safe. If the guy
            was lifted grass doesn't offer much cushion.

            I recommend flying a practice kite on hard surfaces and saving the
            larger kites for water or soft snow.

            Kenny

            Service.

          • vytaspass
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 9, 2002
              Yeah, sometimes things get lost in the message.

              I meant to say that "as you get better and start flying the larger
              kites on land....you can do this"

              My fault in writing a quick reply and not being as explanative as I
              should...

              Bottom line, get some training on a trainer and a big kite, then fly
              the trainer for another couple weeks, then put up the big kite with a
              kite buddy and do some body-drags and board starts...