Beginners' Kite Handling Exercises

  • Scott Phillips
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2002
      Are there any sites that have details on exercises beginners can do to increase their kite handling skills? This would apply to both on land and, later, in the water.....prior to getting on a board. I've had an introductory land lesson but it's been several months ago and was before I got a LEI kite to practice with (a Wipika 3.2 FreeAir, set up for two-lines). Today I spent four hours on the beach with it doing sine movements, self-launching/landing, getting pulled along on my feet, starting off sitting or laying down and getting pulled up onto my feet, becomming comfortable using my bar's chicken loop, etc. All this in 10-13 mph winds.
      With our summer over, I think rather invest more money in another lesson right now, I'd be better off practicing handling the kite and take the lesson in the Spring. I've got the Boost II videos but while excellent, it goes over the basics rather quickly.
      Any help would be appreciated!

    • Kitepower
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 2002
        You are doing all you need to now, except perhaps wearing a harness and
        learning to steer with one hand. It also sounds like you could easily get
        your gear now, get a lesson and get out there, can you kite through winter
        in your area or does the water get too hard?
        :-)

        http://www.kitepower.com.au
        mailto:sydney@...
        Open 7 days
        126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
        Phone +61293157894

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 6, 2002
          Hi Scott,
          Sounds like you're doing fine, get out there on the water.
          Best site I found is http://www.kitesurfingschool.org/
          Jo
        • pksebago
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 7, 2002
            Don't give up in Winter. Get some skis or a snowboard and get out on
            a frozen lake or field. Great way to learn. Smaller kites and when
            all else fails you can walk back in.

            --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Scott Phillips" <scottdt21@m...> wrote:
            > Are there any sites that have details on exercises beginners
            can do to increase their kite handling skills? This would apply to
            both on land and, later, in the water.....prior to getting on a
            board. I've had an introductory land lesson but it's been several
            months ago and was before I got a LEI kite to practice with (a Wipika
            3.2 FreeAir, set up for two-lines). Today I spent four hours on the
            beach with it doing sine movements, self-launching/landing, getting
            pulled along on my feet, starting off sitting or laying down and
            getting pulled up onto my feet, becomming comfortable using my bar's
            chicken loop, etc. All this in 10-13 mph winds.
            > With our summer over, I think rather invest more money in
            another lesson right now, I'd be better off practicing handling the
            kite and take the lesson in the Spring. I've got the Boost II
            videos but while excellent, it goes over the basics rather quickly.
            > Any help would be appreciated!

          • vytaspass
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 7, 2002
              One thing I always tell my students, and its something not many
              people mention, is this:

              When sining the kite, or figure-8, you want the kite to generate
              constant power.

              If you're wakeboarding, the boat doesn't surge forward, then slow
              down, then surge forward...it pulls at a constant pull.

              To be ready for the water, you should be able to horizontally figure-
              8 the kite with steady pull through the straights and the turns,
              vertically figure-8 the kite at the edge of the window at constant
              power, and run with the kite to the left/right while sining the kite
              and maintaining as constant a pull from the kite as you can. Pulling
              yourself up to your feet is good. Also, never step forward on the
              sand when the kite pulls. Get used to leaning back and sliding. Your
              feet in the kiteboard will be fixed and if you have to step forward
              on the water, you will be tea-bagging face first instead. Its always
              better to fall back on your butt, then get tea bagged.

              You can also make a small plywood board with a couple straps (or
              mount your snowboard bidings on it) and drag around the sand or grass
              to practice with your sandals on.

              www.chicagokitesurfing.com

            • fernmanus
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 8, 2002
                V,

                "You can also make a small plywood board with a couple straps (or
                > mount your snowboard bidings on it) and drag around the sand or
                grass to practice with your sandals on."

                I realize you have good intentions, but I wouldn't recommend that
                any beginner go play around on the grass or sand with a plywood
                board and a large traction kite. It just isn't safe. If the guy
                was lifted grass doesn't offer much cushion.

                I recommend flying a practice kite on hard surfaces and saving the
                larger kites for water or soft snow.

                Kenny

                Service.

              • vytaspass
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 9, 2002
                  Yeah, sometimes things get lost in the message.

                  I meant to say that "as you get better and start flying the larger
                  kites on land....you can do this"

                  My fault in writing a quick reply and not being as explanative as I
                  should...

                  Bottom line, get some training on a trainer and a big kite, then fly
                  the trainer for another couple weeks, then put up the big kite with a
                  kite buddy and do some body-drags and board starts...