[ksurfschool] Re: Kite size?

  • Just Al.
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 12, 2000
      What do you mean, too cold for water sports...I was out windsurfing
      yesterday in North Wales....I've had to break the ice to go wondsurfing in
      lakes before now!!!
      I was also teaching a beginner to windsurf yesterday (although, he did go
      a bit blue after a while!), and helping a friend tune a new kite that he'd
      received (Spider Modulus 38)...Not that I really know what I'm doing, as
      I've only just got into kiting myself.
      Just before Xmas I bought a 2.8m Predator Mk II. Flying it (despite having
      no previous kite flying experience) was a doddle. I've now progressed onto
      using it as a traction engine for a mountain board on the sands. I'm hoping
      that the skills learnt doing this will be transferrable to
      kite-surfing...Has anyone else here used mountain boards as a learning or
      practice platform for kite-surfing??...How transferrable are the skills?

      Also,...Line Lengths. I've noticed that kite-surfers tend to use much
      longer (30-40m) lines than people use in other kite traction activities
      (20-30m)...How much difference do longer lines actually make? i.e. My
      Predator 2.8m produces enough power for me at the moment in 15kts of wind
      with 75ft lines.If I used 100ft lines in 10kts, would it produce a similar
      amount of power???

      Cheers,
      Al.

      06:02 PM 1/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
      >Thanks for the kind thoughts, but!!!!!!! We no longer have winter! haven't
      >had for 3 or 4 years! It's too cold for water sports to be pleasant and too
      >warm for snow and ice. I've got the spring bulbs and flowers coming up!
      >EERRGGFRGGHH!
      >Dave

      Alan R. Cole
      Postgraduate Research Student
      Institute of Geography and Earth Studies
      University of Wales
      Aberystwyth
      Ceredigion
      SY23 3DB
      (01970) 621523 Daytime only
      (07974) 392605 24 hr.
    • Dave Raue
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 12, 2000
        > What do you mean, too cold for water sports...I was out windsurfing
        > yesterday in North Wales....I've had to break the ice to go wondsurfing in
        > lakes before now!!!

        Probably I'd be out there too, truth be told - but I'm too busy gearing up
        for massive experimentation at Cabarete. Can't wait!

        --- snip
        > using it as a traction engine for a mountain board on the sands. I'm
        hoping
        > that the skills learnt doing this will be transferrable to
        > kite-surfing...Has anyone else here used mountain boards as a learning or
        > practice platform for kite-surfing??...How transferrable are the skills?

        Not sure, but my guess would be VERY transferable. One big difference
        though - I assume that you don't want to be overpowered on a mountain board.
        I was coming from buggying and one of my biggest learning blocks with
        kitesurfing was getting comfortable with the power that you need. There
        are some mountainboarders on the kitesurf list I think.

        > Also,...Line Lengths. I've noticed that kite-surfers tend to use much
        > longer (30-40m) lines than people use in other kite traction activities
        > (20-30m)...How much difference do longer lines actually make? i.e. My
        > Predator 2.8m produces enough power for me at the moment in 15kts of wind
        > with 75ft lines. If I used 100ft lines in 10kts, would it produce a
        similar
        > amount of power???

        It might, but you need to use the length to sweep around more to generate
        the power. Lines make a big difference, tho I can't make precise
        comparisons like x' lines on y kite in z wind = whatever. For kitesurfing
        longer lines allow you to stay in the power zone correspondingly longer.
        Also slows things down, so it can be easier to control a small kite. At
        some point you get to diminishing returns with increased drag and hassle.
        Also, kitesurfing doesn't need the fine, precise control that you want on
        land, you basically just want to rip. On land you also need to think about
        things like power lines and other objects, so shorter is more practical.
        Over water that's less of an issue.

        Dave