Naish AR5 - neutral zone and bladder pressure

  • quixand_123
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2002
      Greetings all

      I am the proud owner of a Naish AR5 9.5m 2nd hand kite. I've tried it
      a couple of times now with a similar problem...

      No problems getting the kite into the air, but when it gets up there
      I have 2 problems.

      1) I dont' seem to be able to get the kite up to the top of the
      neutral zone. It gets close, but there's still a LOT of pull on the
      kite. Almost like it isn't going far enough "up" into the wind
      directly over my head. Make sense?

      2) When I start to dive the kite, it tends to collapse in on itself.
      The tips fold in, which makes the kite dive. Closely following that
      is the kite unfolding as pressure is removed and screaming up into
      the air. Its fun for the first few minutes, but getting dragged a few
      100m down the beach like this isnt' much fun. Especially when its
      very difficult to get the kite above and in control...

      Any suggestions?
      How hard should the main bladder be? I'm scared of popping it. At the
      moment I have it firm to touch, but not overly hard. It keeps shape
      (just) when held up for launch - should I have it harder than this?

      Thanks

      Adam
    • Philip
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2002
        Adam,

        Pump up that Kite!
        It sounds like the bladders are not firm enough.
        On a kite of that size you should be able to hold the kite upside down
        in the middle of the leading edge and the leading edge should hold its
        shape./
        Also check your lines, more front line pressure may be needed, but it
        sounds like under inflation is the main source of the problems.

        Philip

        Philip Mann
        Inland Sea Windsurf Co.
        http://www.inlandsea.com
        Kitesite.net
        http://www.kitesite.net
        toll free 888-465-2632

[...]

        To unsubscribe, please send an email to
        ksurfschool-unsubscribe@egroups.com

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Kitepower
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2002
          Pump it up more, and shorten the front lines by making another knot closer to the trim strap on the centre leader, start with the new knot 1" shorter, see if that improves things, if not get an experienced kiter to check the tune of your kite or observe you as you launch and fly the kite.
          http://www.kitepower.com.au
          open 7 days, every week.

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 2002
            Thanks for the help guys...
            They're forecasting 30-50knot winds this weekend so I don't think
            I'll venture out just yet.
            Hopefully there'll be a nice day sometime next week so I can give it
            a go.

          • Rick Howe