Re: diving board

  • vytaspass
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 15, 2002
      True, but a board does not compress and it comprises the largest
      volume of the board+binding combination. (unless the board had a hole
      in it and took water)...

      www.chicagokitesurfing.com

      --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Rick Howe" <rhowe@k...> wrote:
      > How about this theory - scuba divers try for neutral buoyancy. The
      deeper they go the more the air in their wet suits compress,
      therefore less buoyancy. They get back to neutral by putting more
      air into their flotation vest. You mentioned sponge in your bindings.
      > Does this theory float?

      Therefore,
      > the board will become MORE buoyant as it sinks lower forcing it
      > come to the surface faster. Either the board sinks, or it
      doesn't.
      > You probably just lost sight of it. Heck, I lose my board
      sometimes
      > if its 10 feet from me in choppy waters. Especially if its upside-

      > down. The water reflection off the flat bottom makes it
      impossible to
      > see sometimes. Blends right in with the surrounding water. Swing
      the
      > kite to one side, then bring it to zenith to lift you up and out
      of
      > the water to look down and find it. Then drag to it. I always
      count
      > in my head each way I drag, so that I know I'm close to the board
      > when I go out and back.

      > www.chicagokitesurfing.com
      >

      > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Gary Sowell" <garys@m...> wrote:
      > > I just took out my 142 slayer this past weekend and had the
      same
      > problem the
      > > whole time kiting... The board would go to the bottom of the
      ocean
      > every
      > > time I crashed... I would grab my leash and bring it back to
      the
      > surface to
      > > kite again... Luckily I use a reel leash, so I didn't ever get
      drug
      > down
      > > with the board...
      > > I have one word of advice... do not ditch the leash like a lot
      of
      > people say
      > > For some reason, my board became detached from my reel leash...
      > decided to
      > > do the upwind body drag to get my board back... After a nice
      big
      > tack, I was
      > > pretty close to my board... I thought I would do one more tack
      and
      > I would
      > > be done... .When I came back to where the board was, I found
      out it
      > was gone
      > > The only thing I think happened is a wave rolled it under the
      water
      > and it
      > > had a hard time coming back up to the surface... It was a jimmy
      > lewis slayer
      > > with sandal bindings.. The board had very little boyancy, which
      is
      > what
      > > helps your board dive under the water... My bigger boards never
      do
      > this...
      > > I have been kiting for quite a while and there is always that
      one
      > chance
      > > that if you go without a leash, you could be out $1000 like I
> [...]
      Service.