Re: diving board

  • flkitesurfer
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 12, 2002
      I have had something similar before when well powered in the ocean.
      Although I have never been pulled under before. If your kite is well
      loaded up and your board has submerged and is acting like a diving
      plane, things can become dicey. It is yet another reason not to use a
      board leash. Work on body dragging upwind, it really is pretty easy.
      If your leash doesn't drag you under, it may slingshot your board
      into causing some nasty injuries or loop over your control bar
      following some wipeouts. For most riders and conditions, board
      leashes are just not worth the hazards that go along with their use.

      Rick Iossi

      --- In ksurfschool@y..., lee fitzgerald <lee@b...> wrote:
      > What I think happened, is that the board and where the leash was
      attached
      > (my foot strap) actually worked like a big diving fishing lure, in
      that its
      > hydrodynamics, forced it further down, as I was being dragged down
      wind by
      > my kite. There was no current, it was just the force from the kite
      pulling
      > me down wind. Which in turn would make the board dive deeper.
      Probably the
      > last thing you would be worried about. Except that it did pull me
      under the
      > water.
      >
      > Do most people have their leash attached to their foot strap or
      their fin
      > bolt?
      >
      > Lee
      >

      > > I am not clear on what caused you to be pulled under water. Was
      your
      > > board leash snagged on something on the bottom and did a strong
      > > current running in the area pull your under? Snagging anything
      that
      > > is attached to you in waves or current can be hazardous. There
      have
      > > been a number of stories of riders pulled under by this sort of
      thing.

      > > Rick Iossi
      > >
      > > --- In ksurfschool@y..., "leefitz91" <leefitzgerald91@m...> wrote:
      > >> I had one of the biggest scares so far of my kiteboarding
      carreer,
      > > which is
      > >> pretty short. None the less, i was having a great day 18knt
      winds.
      > > went for a
      > >> jump, i bailed. Which is nothing new. But what happened next is
      > > what scared
      > >> me. as i was trying to relaunch my kite which i have no problem
      > > doing, i fell
      > >> this huge tug on my board leash. Not just any tug, a tug that was
      > > pulling me
      > >> under water. I have a retractable kite leash on a Lightwave
      board,
      > > but where
      > >> this problem exists is that my leash was attached to my foot
      strap,
      > > and not my
      > >> fin bolt. So as my head went under, i reach down and start
      pulling
      > > my leash, to
      > >> get the board back to the surface. Which was no easy chore,
      > > especially with
      > >> my head under water.
      > >>
      > >> If any one has any other suggestion to stop this, please advise.
      > > any one
      > >> who has their leash attached to their foot strap, this could
      happen
      > > to you too.
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2287381.3722242.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=17
      05100963

      > :HM/A=1212975/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/grp/300_mapG/g22l
      p?Target=m
      > > m/g22lp.tmpl>

      > > To unsubscribe, please send an email to ksurfschool-
      unsubscribe@e...

      Service
      > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
    • Stelios Alex.
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 13, 2002
        > If any one has any other suggestion to stop this, please advise. To
        any one
        > who has their leash attached to their foot strap, this could happen
        to you too.

        Hi,

        This sort of board anchoring has happened to me many many times.
        Until I got scared and changed the leash position from the footstrap
        to the tip. Being a ply twintip is was easy drilling one small hole,
        but it still submerges when it flips over because of its rocker.
        Now I have a really long leash to prevent being too close to the
        board in case it comes back...
        So get that leash away from the strap. It is the worse place to put
        it. If you learn how to bodydrag upwind then forget the leash.

        Hope that helps!
        Stelios
      • Gary Sowell
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 13, 2002
          I just took out my 142 slayer this past weekend and had the same problem the
          whole time kiting... The board would go to the bottom of the ocean every
          time I crashed... I would grab my leash and bring it back to the surface to
          kite again... Luckily I use a reel leash, so I didn't ever get drug down
          with the board...
          I have one word of advice... do not ditch the leash like a lot of people say
          For some reason, my board became detached from my reel leash... I decided to
          do the upwind body drag to get my board back... After a nice big tack, I was
          pretty close to my board... I thought I would do one more tack and I would
          be done... .When I came back to where the board was, I found out it was gone
          The only thing I think happened is a wave rolled it under the water and it
          had a hard time coming back up to the surface... It was a jimmy lewis slayer
          with sandal bindings.. The board had very little boyancy, which is what
          helps your board dive under the water... My bigger boards never do this...
          I have been kiting for quite a while and there is always that one chance
          that if you go without a leash, you could be out $1000 like I am.....

          aloha for now
          Gary

          > If any one has any other suggestion to stop this, please advise. To
          any one
          > who has their leash attached to their foot strap, this could happen
          to you too.

          Hi,

          This sort of board anchoring has happened to me many many times.
          Until I got scared and changed the leash position from the footstrap
          to the tip. Being a ply twintip is was easy drilling one small hole,
          but it still submerges when it flips over because of its rocker.
          Now I have a really long leash to prevent being too close to the
          board in case it comes back...
          So get that leash away from the strap. It is the worse place to put
          it. If you learn how to bodydrag upwind then forget the leash.

          Hope that helps!
          Stelios

          Sell a Home for Top $
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/RrPZMC/jTmEAA/MVfIAA/jacolB/TM

          .

        • lee fitzgerald
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 13, 2002
            Thanks for the advice, I have a retractable leash too, so it is quite long.
            I am going to take your advice and drill a small hole through the end of the
            board, and feed the line through it. I am reluctant to go with out a leash
            at this point even though many people say too go without. I am still falling
            quite a bit, so I would probably spend most of my day body dragging to get
            back to my board.

            Cheers everyone for your help.
            Lee

            > Hi,
            >
            > This sort of board anchoring has happened to me many many times.
            > Until I got scared and changed the leash position from the footstrap
            > to the tip. Being a ply twintip is was easy drilling one small hole,
            > but it still submerges when it flips over because of its rocker.
            > Now I have a really long leash to prevent being too close to the
            > board in case it comes back...
            > So get that leash away from the strap. It is the worse place to put
            > it. If you learn how to bodydrag upwind then forget the leash.
            >
            > Hope that helps!
            > Stelios
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.2336340.3766596.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=1705100963
            > :HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>

            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
          • vytaspass
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 13, 2002
              You can attach your leash to a fin. Take a small piece of rock-
              climbing webbing, or something similar, and put two holes in it for
              the fin screws, leaving the middle a little loose. Then attach your
              leash to the raised loop made by the webbing between the two
              tightened fin screws. No drilling of holes necessary...

              www.chicagokitesurfing.com

              --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Stelios Alex." <reystos@y...> wrote:
              > > If any one has any other suggestion to stop this, please advise.
              > any one
              > > who has their leash attached to their foot strap, this could
              happen
              > to you too.
              >
              > Hi,
              >
              > This sort of board anchoring has happened to me many many times.
              > Until I got scared and changed the leash position from the
              footstrap
              > to the tip. Being a ply twintip is was easy drilling one small
              hole,
              > but it still submerges when it flips over because of its rocker.
              > Now I have a really long leash to prevent being too close to the
              > board in case it comes back...
              > So get that leash away from the strap. It is the worse place to put
              > it. If you learn how to bodydrag upwind then forget the leash.
              >
              > Hope that helps!
              > Stelios
            • vytaspass
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 13, 2002
                If your board floats, it floats. If it was wavy, you probably just
                lost sight of it. I dont buy the "my board sank" theory. As the board
                goes under, it will not compress (like a balloon) so it will displace
                the same amount of water 30 feet under, or at the surface. Therefore,
                the board will become MORE buoyant as it sinks lower forcing it to
                come to the surface faster. Either the board sinks, or it doesn't.
                You probably just lost sight of it. Heck, I lose my board sometimes
                if its 10 feet from me in choppy waters. Especially if its upside-
                down. The water reflection off the flat bottom makes it impossible to
                see sometimes. Blends right in with the surrounding water. Swing the
                kite to one side, then bring it to zenith to lift you up and out of
                the water to look down and find it. Then drag to it. I always count
                in my head each way I drag, so that I know I'm close to the board
                when I go out and back.

                --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Gary Sowell" <garys@m...> wrote:
                > I just took out my 142 slayer this past weekend and had the same
                problem the
                > whole time kiting... The board would go to the bottom of the ocean
                every
                > time I crashed... I would grab my leash and bring it back to the
                surface to
                > kite again... Luckily I use a reel leash, so I didn't ever get drug
                down
                > with the board...
                > I have one word of advice... do not ditch the leash like a lot of
                people say
                > For some reason, my board became detached from my reel leash... I
                decided to
                > do the upwind body drag to get my board back... After a nice big
                tack, I was
                > pretty close to my board... I thought I would do one more tack and
                I would
                > be done... .When I came back to where the board was, I found out it
                was gone
                > The only thing I think happened is a wave rolled it under the water
                and it
                > had a hard time coming back up to the surface... It was a jimmy
                lewis slayer
                > with sandal bindings.. The board had very little boyancy, which is
                what
                > helps your board dive under the water... My bigger boards never do
                this...
                > I have been kiting for quite a while and there is always that one
                chance
                > that if you go without a leash, you could be out $1000 like I
                am.....

                > aloha for now
                > Gary

              • Gary Sowell
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 13, 2002
                  I'm not going to start a war on this one, but my Jimmy Lewis slayer would go
                  all the way to the bottom when I crashed.. Not just once, but every time...
                  I would literally have to use my leash to pull it back to the surface.... I
                  also have a litewave dave, a 161 picklefork, and a mutant... None of these
                  boards have ever done anything like this... This board was one of the first
                  slayers made by Jimmy Lewis, so maybe it had or didn't have something that
                  the rest of the boards have to make it act in this way.... It was weird, but
                  when I got it to the surface, it would barely float to the top (the board
                  would be under a few inches, but the sandle binding tops would stick out of
                  the water).. I think the sponge material of the sandle bindings was the only
                  thing making it semi float.... When I was body dragging and came fairly
                  close to it, the board was upside down..... Since I was in the area with
                  some good sized waves, the only theory I can come up with is that a wave
                  rolled it and pushed it under (at least long enough so I couldn't see it
                  while I was out there)..... I did put the kite at zenith to look around a
                  bit and saw nothing, then did more body dragging, then went to shore and had
                  friends help me look for it.... We kept looking for the board until midnight
                  with a flashlight hoping it would wash up to shore like other boards do, but
                  mine never did......

                  Lesson learned... Make sure the board is boyant and no matter how good you
                  are, you can always lose a board....

                  aloha for now
                  Gary

                  If your board floats, it floats. If it was wavy, you probably just
                  lost sight of it. I dont buy the "my board sank" theory. As the board
                  goes under, it will not compress (like a balloon) so it will displace
                  the same amount of water 30 feet under, or at the surface. Therefore,
                  the board will become MORE buoyant as it sinks lower forcing it to
                  come to the surface faster. Either the board sinks, or it doesn't.
                  You probably just lost sight of it. Heck, I lose my board sometimes
                  if its 10 feet from me in choppy waters. Especially if its upside-
                  down. The water reflection off the flat bottom makes it impossible to
                  see sometimes. Blends right in with the surrounding water. Swing the
                  kite to one side, then bring it to zenith to lift you up and out of
                  the water to look down and find it. Then drag to it. I always count
                  in my head each way I drag, so that I know I'm close to the board
                  when I go out and back.

                  www.chicagokitesurfing.com

                  --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Gary Sowell" <garys@m...> wrote:
                  > I just took out my 142 slayer this past weekend and had the same
                  problem the
                  > whole time kiting... The board would go to the bottom of the ocean
                  every
                  > time I crashed... I would grab my leash and bring it back to the
                  surface to
                  > kite again... Luckily I use a reel leash, so I didn't ever get drug
                  down
                  > with the board...
                  > I have one word of advice... do not ditch the leash like a lot of
                  people say
                  > For some reason, my board became detached from my reel leash... I
                  decided to
                  > do the upwind body drag to get my board back... After a nice big
                  tack, I was
                  > pretty close to my board... I thought I would do one more tack and
                  I would
                  > be done... .When I came back to where the board was, I found out it
                  was gone
                  > The only thing I think happened is a wave rolled it under the water
                  and it
                  > had a hard time coming back up to the surface... It was a jimmy
                  lewis slayer
                  > with sandal bindings.. The board had very little boyancy, which is
                  what
                  > helps your board dive under the water... My bigger boards never do
                  this...
                  > I have been kiting for quite a while and there is always that one
                  chance
                  > that if you go without a leash, you could be out $1000 like I
                  am.....

                  > aloha for now
                  > Gary

                  Home Selling? Try Us!
                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/QrPZMC/iTmEAA/MVfIAA/jacolB/TM

                  .

                • Rick Howe
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 13, 2002
                    How about this theory - scuba divers try for neutral buoyancy. The deeper they go the more the air in their wet suits compress, therefore less buoyancy. They get back to neutral by putting more air into their flotation vest. You mentioned sponge in your bindings.
                    Does this theory float?

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 15, 2002
                      True, but a board does not compress and it comprises the largest
                      volume of the board+binding combination. (unless the board had a hole
                      in it and took water)...

                      --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Rick Howe" <rhowe@k...> wrote:
                      > How about this theory - scuba divers try for neutral buoyancy. The
                      deeper they go the more the air in their wet suits compress,
                      therefore less buoyancy. They get back to neutral by putting more
                      air into their flotation vest. You mentioned sponge in your bindings.
                      > Does this theory float?

                      Service.