kite story #401

  • jrstudio@home.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13 10:00 PM
      I've been out kiteboarding the last 5 days at third ave. and on
      thursday my wife and I went to Coyote point by the airport because
      she
      wanted to windsurf someplace different. I'm getting upwind
      consitantly
      and making most of my jibes for whatever that's worth. But it is
      expert
      only type kitesurfing because down wind is rocks. The fact is, not to
      many people kite there. Anyway I took a long reach outside with my
      wife
      were I usually would stay close to shore because the wind was
      stronger
      outside & I was pinching to get farther upwind and I noticed that I
      was
      under the flight path of a couple of big jets out there. No worries
      because they're to far off for the kite to mean anything. So my wife
      jibed and I chicken jybed in front of her and about 10 seconds later
      I'm racing across the water faster than I've ever gone and the next
      second I'm launched over 25 ft in the air by some jet wash, hanging
      from my harness, dangling above the water higher than i've ever been
      in
      my life! After i got picked up and reached the apex, I jammed the
      bar
      back (like in the video!) and I must of hung up there for about 3
      seconds and then I came floating down (like a baby) and landed on the
      water upright, board still attatched. . . I could of sailed away(!),
      but I got in the water for a couple of seconds to memorize what had
      just happened and make sure I wasn't tripping out! I was giggling
      acctually!! My wife couldn't believe what i had just done (and sailed
      immediately back to the beach for some unknown reason). She asked me
      later if I had meant to do that? Yea, like Right! (I'd been
      talking
      about trying some jumps finally). She didn't realize that I had hit
      jet
      turbulence up 30 meters above the water! It felt like when I was a
      little kid and the older kids tossed me off the rocks where we used
      dive and swim in the river --totally caught off guard! I ended up
      kiting for another 45 minutes though, but stayed inside this time.
      Well, everyone's got a 'kitemare', so there is mine. Can't wait to
      get
      out tomorrow!
      See ya