The $700 kiteboard lesson

  • TheYellowJersey
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 6, 2002
      Since the faq said I was supposed to share my experiences, I thought
      I would write up my $700 kiteboard lesson.

      It started out when I went out in overpowered conditions at Roosevelt
      on the Columbia river. After a couple of reaches and getting tea
      bagged regularly, I decided to come in and switch to a smaller kite.
      However when I tried to hook in, my spreader bar from Dakine with the
      hinged hook had slipped behind my waist harness belt and the hook was
      pressed flat against my body. I couldn't hook in so I started body
      dragging towards shore. I got about half way there when I decided at
      this rate I wouldn't have any strength left to go out again. So I
      decided to crash the kite by letting go of my control bar. I had a
      leash so the kite depowered but also inverted itself in the bridle
      lines so that it was no longer re-launchable. I decided to pull the
      kite to me without winding up the lines as I wanted to try a kite
      self rescue. I tried to go ashore by grabbing both ends of the
      kite. However this resulted in me going straight downwind which was
      at that point blowing me across the river into the shipping channel.
      So I decided that wasn't working, grabbed the kite under one arm,
      laid on top of my directional board and started frog kicking back to
      shore. I got about half way back when I discovered that I could no
      longer kick due to the fact that my line had been steadily winding
      around my legs with every kick. I looked at the mess that was now at
      my feet and decided I couldn't untangle in less time that it would
      take for me to be blown back into the shipping channel. So out came
      the knife. After cutting myself free, I started kicking for the
      shore again but found I was making much headway because of all the
      junk still around my legs. I decided that the kite was creating too
      much drag in the wind so I partialy deflated the main strut. At this
      point the kite became a sea anchor. I made the difficult decision to
      abandon the kite (and the spreader bar) to try and get back to
      shore. I made it about halfway back (now about 2 miles up river)
      when they spotted I was in trouble back at the launch site and set a
      ski doo out after me. I climbed on the ski doo and we then looked
      for my kite but with 25+ mph wind chop with a black and white kite,
      it was hopeless. So we returned to the launch site were my wife was
      very happy to see me again. She now refuses to watch me kiteboard
      because it makes her too nervous. Oh well!

      So between a used kite, lines, and a control bar, my lost investment
      was around $700. I figured that I got the following lessons out of
      this.

      1) Make sure your harness is setup correctly. Because I was wearing
      a seat harness and hadn't tightened the lower straps, the spreader
      bar was able to slide up and behind my harness belt.

      2) Don't let go of the control bar unless you absolutely have to.
      According to my instructor, the kite will frequently not be re-
      launchable if you do.

      3) Always wind in your lines when retrieving your kite. You never
      know what they might wind up around instead.

      4) When self rescuing with the kite, you must get the leading edge up
      out of the water just as if you were about to launch it. In that way
      you can go about 45 degrees off the wind in either direction. I was
      holding the kite with the leading edge on the water, resulting in my
      going rapidly down wind. My instructor suggested laying on the part
      of the kite that is in the water to help keep it under control while
      holding the other edge above you.

      5) Never deflate the kite. It is the most bouyant thing you have.

      6) Never go out without a working knife. I hate to think of the mess
      I could have been in without the ability to cut myself free of the
      lines.

      7) Wear a floatation device. Because I had on a floatation vest, I
      never worried about getting too tired to tread water since I didn't
      have to tread at all.

      My instructor also said that almost all kiteboarders have experienced
      losing equipment. I'm just thankful I didn't lose anything else.

      Jerome-
    • Kitepower
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 6, 2002
        Without knowing all the circumstances, you seem to have had a bad start. You
        mention that "your instructor" gave lots of advice after your mishap, did
        you attempt to learn without getting lessons?
        Why did your instructor let you into the water if you were so inexperienced?
        Very few people in fact learn and burn a thousand bucks worth of gear along
        the way, that is just not true, and it sounds as if your instructor is
        making excuses for bad instruction?

        This is why the IKO needs to be embraced by all kiteboarders. IKO have put
        an enormous amount of effort and thought into their instructor courses, so
        that all learners get the same high quality, well researched, instruction
        worldwide.

        You would have been shown how to let go of the bar, when to let go of the
        bar, what to do if you decide to do a self rescue, including how to get back
        to shore using the kites as a rescue device.

        You would have been shown and would have practiced winding the lines, in the
        water.

        You would have learned what is the wind range of your kite.

        You would have been shown how to wear and adjust your harness, before
        entering the water.

        Apart from that you did a lot of smart things, especially wearing an
        impact/buoyancy vest. I do not understand what happened to your kite, have
        you completely lost it? How come the rescuers with the sea doo, could see
        you but not your kite?

        http://www.kitepower.com.au
        mailto:sydney@...
        Open 7 days
        126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
        Phone +61293157894

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 7, 2002
          I had already had about 8 hours of instruction (over several days by
          2 different instructors) before I ventured out at this site where no
          instruction was available. While I had been instructed on how to
          wind up my lines in the water (and in fact had done so many times
          before), I just chose not to in order to quickly get to the kite by
          pinching the line hand or hand.

          While the first instructor (back where I live in Southern California)
          had described to me how to self rescue, he didn't actually
          demonstrate it to me so I didn't fully get the concept.

          It was about 20 minutes between the time I abandoned the kite and the
          time the sea doo got me. The kite had been blown way up wind by then
          and was impossible to see in the late afternoon light. I was also
          wearing a read helmet that stuck out making me more visible than the
          kite.

          I continued getting instructions afterward at Hood River including
          having the instructor take me down wind on a ski doo and watch over
          me. This worked out really well and was a real confidence booster.

          Jerome-

        • Kitepower
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 7, 2002
            Sounds like you were just plain unlucky. I have heard of a few occassions where people have destroyed their kites within a couple of hours of buying them, but yours is a unique story! I hope you are not too pissed off with the sport and do get to do it for real. The only advice I can give you is that kiteboarding is 90% kite control - so get a trainer kite and fly lots.

            A good example is this young 16yo son of a customer I met on my recent sales trip, his name is Steve, so he is naturally a good guy! :-)
            He has been flying dual line kites since he was six. I took him to the beach at Narrowneck on the Gold Coast, and he was flying the kite and body dragging within minutres of being shown ho to launch, he did not crash the kite in over an hour of land practice, and had never flown a 12.0M inflato. He had never used a harness, his mum raced off to Surf FX to get one for him. Only good kite flyers get to be OK kiteboarders!

            Even if I look at myself and how I learn, it is always learning what to do with the kite, thinking ahead, planning moves in advance in my head.
            http://www.kitepower.com.au
            open 7 days, every week.
> [...]

            > worldwide.
            >
            > You would have been shown how to let go of the bar, when to let go
            of the
            > bar, what to do if you decide to do a self rescue, including how to
            get back
            > to shore using the kites as a rescue device.
            >
            > You would have been shown and would have practiced winding the
            lines, in the
            > water.
            >
            > You would have learned what is the wind range of your kite.
            >
            > You would have been shown how to wear and adjust your harness,
            before
            > entering the water.
            >
            > Apart from that you did a lot of smart things, especially wearing an
            > impact/buoyancy vest. I do not understand what happened to your
            kite, have
            > you completely lost it? How come the rescuers with the sea doo,

          • TheYellowJersey
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 8, 2002
              I went out and bought a quiver of kites after that so either I'm
              committed or need to be...

              I have a stunt kite that I flew for about 10 hours before I started
              in the water. Handling the kite, particularly now that I've switched
              from 2 to 4 lines, is not a problem now. Now I'm trying to get down
              the handling of the board in conjunction with handling the kite.

              My lesson was that I made a series of bad or mal-informed decisions,
              anyone of which if I had made differently, I would still have the
              kite. So I'm not really upset, just wish there had been a cheaper
              way of learning the lessons.

              Jerome-

              --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Kitepower" <sydney@k...> wrote:
              > Sounds like you were just plain unlucky. I have heard of a few
              occassions where people have destroyed their kites within a couple of
              hours of buying them, but yours is a unique story! I hope you are not
              too pissed off with the sport and do get to do it for real. The only
              advice I can give you is that kiteboarding is 90% kite control - so
              get a trainer kite and fly lots.

              > A good example is this young 16yo son of a customer I met on my
              recent sales trip, his name is Steve, so he is naturally a good
              guy! :-)
              > He has been flying dual line kites since he was six. I took him to
              the beach at Narrowneck on the Gold Coast, and he was flying the kite
              and body dragging within minutres of being shown ho to launch, he did
              not crash the kite in over an hour of land practice, and had never
              flown a 12.0M inflato. He had never used a harness, his mum raced off
              to Surf FX to get one for him. Only good kite flyers get to be OK
              kiteboarders!

              > Even if I look at myself and how I learn, it is always learning
              what to do with the kite, thinking ahead, planning moves in advance
              in my head.
              > Cya and
              > Goodwinds
              > Steve McCormack
              > http://www.kitepower.com.au
              > open 7 days, every week.

              Service.

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              unsubscribe@e...

              Service.

            • Kitepower
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 8, 2002
                But if you had done 30 -40 hrs on the stunt kite, you would not find much difficulty getting up on the board?! Sounds like you have the addiction, there is no cure, except lots of kiteboarding.
                Seriously, the more skill you have at kite flying the quicker and easier (safer) you learn to kiteboard.
                Hindsight is annoyingly easy to indluge in, but what this sport needs is for people to discover another little known faculty most people seem to have - FORESIGHT! :-)
                Have fun.
                http://www.kitepower.com.au
                open 7 days, every week.
                I went out and bought a quiver of kites after that so either I'm
                committed or need to be...

                I have a stunt kite that I flew for about 10 hours before I started
                in the water. Handling the kite, particularly now that I've switched
                from 2 to 4 lines, is not a problem now. Now I'm trying to get down
                the handling of the board in conjunction with handling the kite.

                My lesson was that I made a series of bad or mal-informed decisions,
                anyone of which if I had made differently, I would still have the
                kite. So I'm not really upset, just wish there had been a cheaper
                way of learning the lessons.

                Jerome-

                --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Kitepower" <sydney@k...> wrote:
                > Sounds like you were just plain unlucky. I have heard of a few
                occassions where people have destroyed their kites within a couple of
                hours of buying them, but yours is a unique story! I hope you are not
                too pissed off with the sport and do get to do it for real. The only
                advice I can give you is that kiteboarding is 90% kite control - so
                get a trainer kite and fly lots.

                > A good example is this young 16yo son of a customer I met on my
                recent sales trip, his name is Steve, so he is naturally a good
                guy! :-)
                > He has been flying dual line kites since he was six. I took him to
                the beach at Narrowneck on the Gold Coast, and he was flying the kite
                and body dragging within minutres of being shown ho to launch, he did
                not crash the kite in over an hour of land practice, and had never
                flown a 12.0M inflato. He had never used a harness, his mum raced off
                to Surf FX to get one for him. Only good kite flyers get to be OK
                kiteboarders!

                > Even if I look at myself and how I learn, it is always learning
                what to do with the kite, thinking ahead, planning moves in advance
                in my head.
                > Cya and
                > Goodwinds
                > Steve McCormack
                > http://www.kitepower.com.au
                > open 7 days, every week.

                Service.

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                unsubscribe@e...

                Service.

              • groovysouls2002
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 25, 2002
                  Hi All

                  I'm really keen to try out this sport and find your postings most
                  interesting and informative. I'll heed the advice of many of you
                  experienced kitesurfers that good kite flying techinques is
                  fundamental to kitesurfing. However, could someone kindly enlighten
                  me as to whether:

                  -stunt kite or training kite refers specifically to kitesurfing
                  kites or can it be normal kites (that are not big enough to pull a
                  person)

                  -at the kitesurfing school website, it says to start training on a
                  5m kite. If I have to get this kite for training (which costs around
                  AU$1000), can it be used for actual kitesurfing by someone who is

                  - 52 kgs? or someone who is

                  - 75 kgs?

                  Thanks in advance

                  Lynne

                  Service.

                • Jo Macdonald
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 25, 2002
                    Hi Lynne,
                    A training kite is normally a small ram air kite or foil which will
                    fly well in light wind (6-15 knots) and won't be powerful enough to
                    pull you anywhere and injure you while you're learning the basics.
                    Knowing how to fly a stunt kite can help but my advice is to take a
                    few leasons with a good instructor who'll have the training kite.
                    That way you don't have to buy it yourself, unless you really want
                    one, and the instructor will give you all the info on flying, safety
                    etc.
                    This really is the best way to start, a big traction kite can easily
                    pull you off the ground and into something deadly very quickly in
                    relatively low wind, especially if gusty.
                    You should definately know what you're doing before trying to launch
                    one of these.
                    This sport can be a load of fun but can also get very nasty very fast.
                    Taking leasons, learning from experienced locals and also kiteforums
                    are all good ways of getting info.
                    Usually schools will also know where to get your first gear from too,
                    lot of good used stuff around.
                    Stay safe and have fun.
                    Jo
                  • Jo Macdonald
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 26, 2002
                      Lynne,
                      I forgot, check this out if you haven't already, great stuff: